Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ASM 5 preview

I really think people are overthinking the kids. It's just another mystery box and a means to give MJ something to do to keep her away from Peter beyond whatever the heck is going on with Peter now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really think people are overthinking the kids. It's just another mystery box and a means to give MJ something to do to keep her away from Peter beyond whatever the heck is going on with Peter now.
    Fair enough!

Just pointing out the kids are a form of Chekvov's gun. At some point, the trigger will need to be pulled (only, considering this is Wells, I hope not literally ). I just do not trust Marvel not to leave gun residue all over the characters.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    caring
    I'm an older brother and I like kids as the adorable little brats they are. I enjoy moments where Spider-Man and other heroes are cute with kids. As Tinkerspider suggested, kids are dependent on adult caregivers so readers are biologically programmed to respond favorably to children. We respond unfavorably to indifference towards children so hopefully Wells will be respectful towards MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Tombstone’s cat
    That was a nice touch ngl. Good humanizing moment for an evil gangster too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    I'm an older brother and I like kids as the adorable little brats they are. I enjoy moments where Spider-Man and other heroes are cute with kids. As Tinkerspider suggested, kids are dependent on adult caregivers so readers are biologically programmed to respond favorably to children. We respond unfavorably to indifference towards children so hopefully Wells will be respectful towards MJ.
    Hopefully!

And for the peanut gallery lurker snarking on Twitter, I never said MJ had to stay with Paul or her character would be assassinated. :roll eyes.

It’s like some can’t see Mary Jane as a character in her own right and view her value only as far as she is an appendage to a male character. It’s not about which man she’s attached to, it’s that Wells had given her a responsibility and that responsibility should be dealt with responsibly if MJ is meant to be a sympathetic character.

But moving on now because the whipped horse is well and truly dead.

That was a nice touch ngl. Good humanizing moment for an evil gangster too.
    There’s a well-known screenwriting how-to book by Blake Snyder called “Save the Cat.” His theory is you need to show your protagonist engaged in a selfless/heroic/kind act at the start of the story to get the audience on their side - and hey, Tombstone literally saved the cat!
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-02-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think I talk for every decent Spider-Fan when I say I'm sick of Marvel turning Spider-Man into a loser and his life into a dumpster. Why it's so difficult for them to understand that Peter has to move on and they can do the classic staff with Miles Morales, who is a younger Spider-Man?

Spectacular Member

Twitter,
    Yeesh. Sorry that happened to you. I'm glad I took the name of a Pokemon that resembles the Bat-signal. That way, I'll never know if anyone is gossiping about me.

I haven't read anyone who wants PaulMJ to stay a thing. We just want the relationship ended in a manner that treats MJ with the dignity she deserves. Some relationships she's been in have not met that and fans have a reason to be concerned.

Some cats need saving.

It is the way. That book looks interesting but I'm worried by society's tendency of leaving cats hanging places(at least it's not a kitten this time).

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Spider-Fan
    You underestimate the darkness that lies in the hearts of fans

Borrowed from Tumblr. I want Peter and MJ to be happy. But, for every 20 fans that are exhausted by endless drama, there will be that one fan who is a good, decent person but when it comes to relationship drama, their inner gremlin absolutely rolls in it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    It is the way. That book looks interesting but I'm worried by society's tendency of leaving cats hanging places(at least it's not a kitten this time).
    Heh. I never even thought of the "Keep Hanging In There" poster of yore.

You underestimate the darkness that lies in the hearts of fans

I want Peter and MJ to be happy. But, for every 20 fans that are exhausted by endless drama, there will be that one fan who is a good, decent person but when it comes to relationship drama, their inner gremlin absolutely rolls in it.
    Y'know, I would be all in for relationship drama. The messier, the better. Give me the sad stare when the other person isn't looking, the missed phone calls, the lost messages, the misinterpreted overheard conversation, the impression all is lost - but give it to me with the knowledge that they still love each other deeply and want desperately to be together again. Like how JMS led up to ASM 50/Doomed Affairs - the angst! The longing! The O. Henry-style irony of going to visit the other at opposite ends of the country at the same time! So delicious.

But what's happening right now in ASM ain't it.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-03-2022 at 07:10 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Heh. I never even thought of the "Keep Hanging In There" poster of yore.

Y'know, I would be all in for relationship drama. The messier, the better. Give me the sad stare when the other person isn't looking, the missed phone calls, the lost messages, the misinterpreted overheard conversation, the impression all is lost - but give it to me with the knowledge that they still love each other deeply and want desperately to be together again. Like how JMS led up to ASM 50/Doomed Affairs - the angst! The longing! The O. Henry-style irony of going to visit the other at opposite ends of the country at the same time! So delicious.

But what's happening right now in ASM ain't it.
    Generally cosigned.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LP...nityFluxComics

spoilers:
    Nothing for MJ plot. Peter and Feleica about why he's sad after the time skip and a small allusion to what he did maybe, but just another boring issue to get to 900
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_LP...nityFluxComics

spoilers:
    Nothing for MJ plot. Peter and Feleica about why he's sad after the time skip and a small allusion to what he did maybe, but just another boring issue to get to 900
    end of spoilers
    Did the Black Cat turn against Peter as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Did the Black Cat turn against Peter as well?
    You'll have to read and find out

Astonishing Member

You'll have to read and find out
    The linked video above starts talking about ASM at 54:48. spoilers:
    They don't say anything about Felicia turning against Peter, just that Peter and Felicia "talk a little more about what happened" but it's only a hint.

Also, they say Peter might be okay with working with Tombstone and this might be a new partnership for him. If true, I guess Wells's approach to Spider-Man is Spider-Man Team Up but with villains (since we know he works with Norman as well)
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-05-2022 at 09:50 AM.

The linked video above starts talking about ASM at 54:48. spoilers:
    They don't say anything about Felicia turning against Peter, just that Peter and Felicia "talk a little more about what happened" but it's only a hint.

Also, they say Peter might be okay with working with Tombstone and this might be a new partnership for him. If true, I guess Wells's approach to Spider-Man is Spider-Man Team Up but with villains (since we know he works with Norman as well)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Doubt it's a team up, but just them just talking about what happened. Plus we know the Norman thing won't last long. At least until the Queen Goblin shows up
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    Doubt it's a team up, but just them just talking about what happened. Plus we know the Norman thing won't last long. At least until the Queen Goblin shows up
    end of spoilers
    I was using the words of the people in the video. I see there's a need for an even clearer emoticon to denote "tongue in check/faceitious" because just isn't cutting it.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Isn't the next arc related to Hobgoblin because of the trade names?
    end of spoilers