Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ASM 5 preview

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post

Mary Jane abandoning children makes her a villain.
    In real life, if someone enters a relationship with another person with their own kids and said relationship dissolves, it's not abandonment. Not sure how you even came to this conclusion.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    It's the first arc, but also the opening of each issue mentions Aunt May then MJ. We've got one resolved which doesn't require much of a convoluted explanation. The MJ story will be coming up soon and a reunion and dude relax lamo
    They weren’t being unrelaxed.

Have you read the upcoming issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    In real life, if someone enters a relationship with another person with their own kids and said relationship dissolves, it's not abandonment. Not sure how you even came to this conclusion.
    They are very young, they call her mommy and she is acting like one, and there is obviously an emotional attachment. To just up and leave may not be legal abandonment but it is an emotional one and can cause abandonment issues.

Not sure how anyone who has ever spent appreciable time with young children, knows anyone who has suffered abandonment issues, or has a baseline knowledge of human psychology and/or child development can come to a different conclusion.

That is, assuming these are real kids and the story will be played straight.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-06-2022 at 06:18 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

It's speculation of what we can gleam so far. Unless have you read it?

BANNED

They are very young, they call her mommy and she is acting like one, and there is obviously an emotional attachment. To just up and leave may not be legal abandonment but it is an emotional one and can cause abandonment issues.
    But if MJ is replaced by the actual mother...big deal.

You're thinking about this more than the writers, present or future, are, trust me.

Exactly. Like i still don't get this idea because you tell someone kids you love them or you were in a relationship with their dad your somehow bound to them forever. Guess i'm just a bad person cause why drag it out. Kids don't need to be collecting step mommies or step daddies like pokeballs. Why would a man have a woman putting down his children by herself after only 6 months and getting that close to them when it was clearly a rebound if she was just with pete a few months ago. I question that far more than a potentially emotionally hurt woman looking for comfort. Her mistake is human but she is not a parent, that's on daddy dearest. I hate when people try to emotionally manipulate people with what amounts to imperfect comparisons on oh my "But it's a child she should know better" okay and no, she didn't have any why should she automatically know better. Did MJ take child psychology and i missed it?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    But if MJ is replaced by the actual mother...big deal.

You're thinking about this more than the writers, present or future, are, trust me.
    Someone asked me a question I answered.

Oh noes shoot me for thinking about a comic book on a comic book forum! The horror! The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Did MJ take child psychology and i missed it?
    Why yes, she was a psychology major when she went back to college after Baby May’s death/kidnapping

Funny how people want characters to act in character and be relatable and be realistic to how actual people act until it interferes with their preferred scenario

But obviously there is more going on because as you said the timeline doesn’t work.

It's speculation of what we can gleam so far. Unless have you read it?
    No, but you just seem so sure to the point of telling others to relax *shrug*
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-06-2022 at 06:38 AM.

Not sure how anyone who has ever spent appreciable time with young children, knows anyone who has suffered abandonment issues, or has a baseline knowledge of human psychology and/or child development can come to a different conclusion.

That is, assuming these are real kids and the story will be played straight.
    "To just up and leave..."

If the relationship between the two adults is broken, there's no reason to drag things out just so the children can be happy. Each partner deserves their own independence.

People with kids might as well stay single so they don't guilt trap others into a relationship.
    "Cable was right!"

Someone asked me a question I answered.

Oh noes shoot me for thinking about a comic book on a comic book forum! The horror! The horror!

Why yes, she was a psychology major when she went back to college after Baby May’s death/kidnapping

Funny how people want characters to act in character and be relatable and be realistic to how actual people act until it interferes with their preferred scenario

No, but you just seem so sure to the point of telling others to relax *shrug*
    Definitely good to know she did, so she should know not to let someone kids emotionally hold her hostage to the point she becomes resentful because that would be worse on the kids than losing someone who was there for 6 months and don't want to be there anymore.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Definitely good to know she did, so she should know not to let someone kids emotionally hold her hostage to the point she becomes resentful because that would be worse on the kids than losing someone who was there for 6 months and don't want to be there anymore.
    That's also if the kids are really and not clones, demons or LMD's

Spectacular Member

Haven't read the issue but...

Did MJ take child psychology and i missed it?
    Let's think on Mary Jane's background for a sec. I'm sure nothing in it would help her relate with children who do not have a parent in their lives. Nothing at all that might have made her understand what they're going through. Her parents had an amicable relationship and never separated. ^^ /j

It's recommended that dating partners avoid introducing themselves to kids for a reason. I've already made my thoughts on this subject clear. The kids referred to MJ as Mommy when the author introduced us to them. There's likely an objective for it. We might not appreciate that reason.

That's also if the kids are really and not clones, demons or LMD's
    If they are clones or demons that could be interesting. But anything to me would be more interesting than scene after scene of MJ torturing herself because they aren't her kids and it didn't work out. That's life, stuff happens. lol
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member

"To just up and leave..."

If the relationship between the two adults is broken, there's no reason to drag things out just so the children can be happy. Each partner deserves their own independence.

People with kids might as well stay single so they don't guilt trap others into a relationship.
    Parents have responsibilities and that includes anyone who takes on emotional parenting.

There are ways to dissolve an adult relationship to minimize harm but it’s still a responsibility. People with kids should know they are taking on a grave responsibility the moment they have a kid. Many don’t, but this is a comic book, a very mainstream American superhero book with rather black and white depictions of morality.

I think people are reading far more into this than I’m accused of doing . My point is MJ now had a responsibility perhaps even more pressing than Peter’s. And yes, how she carries out that responsibility will reflect on the character.

Unless this is some sort of fake out, which it probably is because the timeline is fishy.

If they are clones or demons that could be interesting. But anything to me would be more interesting than scene after scene of MJ torturing herself because they aren't her kids and it didn't work out. That's life, stuff happens. lol
    Now who is reading into things? It’s never been implied that should be the result. That’s reductio ad absurdum.

I’ve also said this topic is a well whipped dead horse so…

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Haven't read the issue but...

Let's think on Mary Jane's background for a sec. I'm sure nothing in it would help her relate with children who do not have a parent in their lives. Nothing at all that might have made her understand what they're going through. Her parents had an amicable relationship and never separated. ^^ /j

It's recommended that dating partners avoid introducing themselves to kids for a reason. I've already made my thoughts on this subject clear. The kids referred to MJ as Mommy when the author introduced us to them. There's likely an objective for it. We might not appreciate that reason.
    Story wise, the kids are a form of Chekhov’s gun. Wells introduced them and made MJ a mommy for a reason (we can talk about the inherent sexism in reducing MJ to nothing but a mommy stereotype, if people would rather discuss about that ) and Wells will pull the trigger (hopefully not literally lol) at some point or another.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-06-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Parents have responsibilities and that includes anyone who takes on emotional parenting.

There are ways to dissolve an adult relationship to minimize harm but it’s still a responsibility. People with kids should know they are taking on a grave responsibility the moment they have a kid. Many don’t, but this is a comic book, a very mainstream American superhero book with rather black and white depictions of morality.

I think people are reading far more into this than I’m accused of doing . My point is MJ now had a responsibility perhaps even more pressing than Peter’s. And yes, how she carries out that responsibility will reflect on the character.

Unless this is some sort of fake out, which it probably is because the timeline is fishy.

Now who is reading into things? It’s never been implied that should be the result. That’s reductio ad absurdum.

I’ve also said this topic is a well whipped dead horse so…

Story wise, the kids are a form of Chekhov’s gun. Wells introduced them and made MJ a mommy for a reason (we can talk about the inherent sexism in reducing MJ to nothing but a mommy stereotype, if people would rather discuss about that ) and Wells will pull the trigger (hopefully not literally lol) at some point or another.
    I think you and the author need a better understanding of how children and relationships work. My previous statements still stand.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

I think you and the author need a better understanding of how children and relationships work. My previous statements still stand.
    I’m very confident in my own understanding but thanks anyway!

And this is why reading is (or should be, at least lol) fun. People being their experiences to the text. A book with a thousand readers has a thousand different lives.

Spectacular Member

the trigger
    Really hope that doesn't happen. It would be annoyingly sexist to throw MJ down over a plot like that.

I think making this personal is unnecessarily provocative. You don't need to agree with someone's assessment but suggesting that their judgment means they don't understand kids is baseless. At best you can say "Not all kids will respond a certain way" but there are studies out there supporting this opinion. I think it's a bit much to refer to MJ as a villain in this circumstance. However there are ways the author could portray her that would make her look uncaring and alienate readers.