Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: ASM 5 preview

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Really hope that doesn't happen. It would be annoyingly sexist to throw MJ down over a plot like that.

I think making this personal is unnecessarily provocative. You don't need to agree with someone's assessment but suggesting that their judgment means they don't understand kids is baseless. At best you can say "Not all kids will respond a certain way" but there are studies out there supporting this opinion. I think it's a bit much to refer to MJ as a villain in this circumstance. However there are ways the author could portray her that would make her look uncaring and alienate readers.
    I think it's putting to much stock in the scenerio. To me it's a plot line that can be easilly fixed with context and then moved on given more screen time. Ultimately we know Peter/MJ will get back together

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    easilly fixed
    It can be and I have agreed on that front. Tinkerspider is concerned that her plot might not be settled well and is bracing for a possible fallout. Considering how badly plots with children have ended under Zeb Wells, it's not an irrational response. As a fan we hope for the best, but must sometimes prepare for the worst.

It can be and I have agreed on that front. Tinkerspider is concerned that her plot might not be settled well and is bracing for a possible fallout. Considering how badly plots with children have ended under Zeb Wells, it's not an irrational response. As a fan we hope for the best, but must sometimes prepare for the worst.
    That's why in the instance they'll settle with something more less controversial by doing something like clones like he did with Hellions or something similar

Spectacular Member

similar
    Could be. It's also possible that the kiddos are longing for emotional support and connection. Some children are like that.

Could be. It's also possible that the kiddos are longing for emotional support and connection. Some children are like that.
    It's all speculation as it's one arc that hasn't moved anything plot wise yet

Astonishing Member

It's all speculation as it's one arc that hasn't moved anything plot wise yet
    Gee, how strange people are speculating about a comic book story on a comic book forum

Anyone read the issue yet? Lots of love on social media for it.

I thought it was...pretty good. I have quibbles with the depiction of Peter’s responsibility spoilers:
    we know Tombstone is moving supervillain paraphernalia. Whaddaya wanna bet by setting Digger loose on Tombstone’s men and allowing the shipments to get away, this is partly how the SuperAdaptoid comes to be? But that’s not Parker Luck, that would be Peter not being wholly responsible but instead paying a game of tit for tat without thinking through the consequences.
    end of spoilers

Loved the Felicia conversation. spoilers:
    Don’t see it as relationship baiting - her “chase me” comment was flirty and thus wholly in character but also a reference to how she helped him recover in Beyond, by chasing her around, and wouldn’t it be nice if comics showed men and women can be good friends without it always being romantic, damn you When Harry Met Sally for suggesting this is impossible lol. Also, we learned Peter and real cats don’t necessarily get along lol
    end of spoilers Pick up Iron Cat if you aren’t already - it’s so much fun.

spoilers:
    The Aunt May resolution was rather quick and perfunctory and doesn’t address why they were on the outs to begin but then May had offered him an olive branch in ASM 1 so nice to see Peter accept it.
    end of spoilers

Felicia says Peter spoilers:
    has been operating hurt ever since the accident with Ben - is that a reference to Beyond or a reference to the six months ago mystery box? I’m thinking Beyond but the six months ago incident seems to be why he shut himself off from everyone. Interesting that Felicia apparently picked Beyond even though he was with MJ then so his heart wasn’t broken - unless she’s referring to his heart being broken by Ben’s actions.
    end of spoilers

It’s a nice wrap up to the Tombstone arc, with Tombstone continuing to be a standout star, but seems to leave all the pieces on the board exactly as we found them spoilers:
    except for Peter reconciling with May, and she had already asked him to dinner. But otherwise: there’s still a gang war brewing and no movement on the mystery box
    end of spoilers.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-06-2022 at 09:14 AM.

Spectacular Member

My interest is difficult to get back once it's dropped so this issue was fine but didn't bring back the lost excitement. I supported it for the Robertsons and Lincolns but I may end up dropping ASM until one of the big mysteries is solved. I'll check in for one more book but I may stop posting here for awhile if my interest doesn't pick back up.spoilers:

I did think it was nice to watch Spider-Man scope out an area and interact with Tombstone. The elderly woman who interacted with the collections shark is not Cassandra Webb but those shades reminded me how much I missed her. Happy to see May accept Peter. I would love it if Felicia and Peter are allowed to interact more as friends. It was sweet.

I agree somewhat with Tinkerspider that this scenario could easily have negative consequences but I still wouldn't blame him. I'm stubborn that way, lol.

My thought was that Felicia was discussing Ben's "death" but if Lowe really wants to sell villain Ben I guess he can ask Wells to make Ben responsible for this ongoing mystery plot.
    end of spoilers