Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman still up in the air. What's new?

And so it goes on and on and on. A Superman film has been in development one way or another for almost 10 years now. Since 2013's MOS. The latest iteration is Abrahm's black Superman reboot. Even that film is in question as Abram's stock with the new WB/Discovery leadership seems to be falling. It should - a woke Superman film is likely to be even less successful than was MOS. If audiences aren't interested in a white Superman and Lois they are likely to also be uninterested in a black Superman and Lois. But the point is that WB/DC is willing to radically change their IP. Their Superman IP. They would not do that with their top IP's - Batman and Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Hopefully WB abandons that project.

Where does that leave fans. The small screen. Superman does not work on the large screen but Superman and Lois proves it can work on the small screen. As did Smalville and Lois an Clark and Superboy. Fans will have to settle though some, like myself, may wonder if only Tyler Hoechlin and Bistise Tuloch had been cast in MOS (they actually would have been too young) things might have turned out differently.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 06-30-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! A lame duck! It's a plane! A complete wreck! It's Super-Incompetence!

Like I keep saying, WB/D should just replace Cavill and gives Supes his own version of The Batman movie. Get a director who can make a fun action film, don't try and darken it down, and just let loose. Hopefully Zaslav will push something through.

There doesn't seem to be corporate interest in bringing Cavill back. DC sources leaked he's too old. If anyone saw the Snyder cut which I just viewed, Cavill was as glum and morose as in the other films. Totally wrong for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be corporate interest in bringing Cavill back. DC sources leaked he's too old. If anyone saw the Snyder cut which I just viewed, Cavill was as glum and morose as in the other films. Totally wrong for the role.
    I feel like that is more an excuse considering they'd be happy to keep Affleck if he were up to it, and that they're bringing back Keaton (although his role is as wise old mentor ala Batman Beyond). But whatever excuse they need is fine with me, just as long as they move someone new into the role sooner rather than later.

Yeah but no need for excuses. Just officially part ways with Cavill. He, Cavill, reminds me of the guy hanging around the buffet table. Just let it go - it's not like he doesn't get other work.

Astonishing Member

And so it goes on and on and on. A Superman film has been in development one way or another for almost 10 years now. Since 2013's MOS. The latest iteration is Abrahm's black Superman reboot. Even that film is in question as Abram's stock with the new WB/Discovery leadership seems to be falling. It should - a woke Superman film is likely to be even less successful than was MOS. If audiences aren't interested in a white Superman and Lois they are likely to also be uninterested in a black Superman and Lois. But the point is that WB/DC is willing to radically change their IP. Their Superman IP. They would not do that with their top IP's - Batman and Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Hopefully WB abandons that project.

Where does that leave fans. The small screen. Superman does not work on the large screen but Superman and Lois proves it can work on the small screen. As did Smalville and Lois an Clark and Superboy. Fans will have to settle though some, like myself, may wonder if only Tyler Hoechlin and Bistise Tuloch had been cast in MOS (they actually would have been too young) things might have turned out differently.
    At this point I'm more glad than anything else that Superman is not appearing in movies. Every attempt to make a Superman movie since 1981 has done more harm than good. We don't need another Man of Steel to divide the audience on what Superman is. We don't need another bad showing to further bury Superman's rep or some total re-imagining to draw attention away from the main Superman.

Wonder Woman's first movie was a game changer for her. WW:1984 then undercut that. Batman took a massive slide in the 90's from Keaton's debut to Clooney's version . It took over a decade before Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan revived Batman as a film character. So do we really want a classic Superman on the big screen or isn't it better if they wait for a film worth making?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    So do we really want a classic Superman on the big screen or isn't it better if they wait for a film worth making?
    You know they're not psychic - they always hope that the film they're making is the one worth making. It's a crapshoot, you can never make a sure thing.

Another Superman film is not likely for a long while unless Zaslav moves forward w/ the Black Superman project. Campea - a huge MOS/Cavill fan - said there is less to the reports about Zaslav than is being reported. He said you need to read the original story. The story is a rumor from a DC source and not coming from Zaslav. Zaslav wants to see DC's big stars featured more in the films. He is presumably referring to Aquaman, Batman, Wonder Woman and potentially Black Adam which rumor has Zaslav wants to replace Superman with. The Rock is DC's biggest and most lucrative star by far. Build the DCEU around The Rock. Campea isn't too hopeful there will be another Superman.

Zaslav wants to capitalize financially on its hot properties like Batman, Aquaman and WW. As in IMO quicker turnarounds for these characters between their films. Hence his feeling the big DC properties are being underutilized.

The issue with the Black Superman film is money. Can it score a big enough profit? The fear being that the Superman audience skews older and many of them are not interested in seeing a complete re-imaging of the character. Doubts about the Abrahms project have been paired with erroneous reports saying WB is interested in Cavill That he could take on the Coate's script. But nothing like that is even rumored from a DC "source".

For the foreseeable future the only Superman we'll get is a TV version. Which isn't bad given how good Superman and Lois is. If only HGO Max would take it from Nestar/CW.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You know they're not psychic - they always hope that the film they're making is the one worth making. It's a crapshoot, you can never make a sure thing.
    A sure success may not be possible, but I think there are some ideas that most people can see bombing before they hit the screen. Problem is that the people who know which ideas are guaranteed bombs are almost never in charge.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I hate to say this, but no, nothing would be different regardless of casting. Superman (on film) has been WB's biggest screw up for decades at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    A sure success may not be possible, but I think there are some ideas that most people can see bombing before they hit the screen. Problem is that the people who know which ideas are guaranteed bombs are almost never in charge.
    I don't know. Many ideas that seem like sure bombs are surprise hits (a pirate movie based on a Disney ride; an out of universe Joker origin with no Batman). I think that it's less ideas and more execution and timing than anything else, and for execution making movies is just hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I hate to say this, but no, nothing would be different regardless of casting. Superman (on film) has been WB's biggest screw up for decades at this point.
    Yet oddly the casting in TV has been good. Tyler is tied with Reeve as my favorite Superman. Next is Gerard Chrsitopher. Not a Welling fan but he was and is very popular with fans. I just watched video interviews with Stacy Haiduk and GC. These guys have great chemistry. Akin to that between Tyler and Bitsie. GC has a droll sense of humor. When asked about Smallville using some of the concepts used in Superboy he replied - "you're telling me they ripped us off." The first multiverse story done in live action Superman was done in the Superboy series. Smallville and S&L both "ripped this off" from Superboy.

Ironically Gerard Christopher might have been cast in a Cary Bates written Brainiac Superman film. Presumably Stacy would have been in the film as well. WB quashed it all to make way for Lois and Clark. In hindsight that choice was pivotal and led to the collapse of the franchise that occurred from the mid-90s forward - IMO. It was a wrong choice in what fork in the road to take and fans have lived with the fallout ever since.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-02-2022 at 05:53 PM.

Yet oddly the casting in TV has been good. Tyler is tied with Reeve as my favorite Superman. Next is Gerard Chrsitopher. Not a Welling fan but he was and is very popular with fans. I just watched video interviews with Stacy Haiduk and GC. These guys have great chemistry. Akin to that between Tyler and Bitsie. GC has a droll sense of humor. When asked about Smallville using some of the concepts used in Superboy he replied - "you're telling me they ripped us off." The first multiverse story done in live action Superman was done in the Superboy series. Smallville and S&L both "ripped this off" from Superboy.

Ironically Gerard Christopher might have been cast in a Cary Bates written Brainiac Superman film. Presumably Stacy would have been in the film as well. WB quashed it all to make way for Lois and Clark. In hindsight that choice was pivotal and led to the collapse of the franchise that occurred from the mid-90s forward - IMO. It was a wrong choice in what fork in the road to take and fans have lived with the fallout ever since.
    Lois and Clark was a really good show tho.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

You can like the casting, but it doesn't change how WB has been handling Superman (on film).

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Lois and Clark was a really good show tho.
    Dean was great as Clark, Supes not so much. Teri was a very fine Lois. The series after the mid 3rd season went all campy, It lost its way and ratings plunged in season 4 because of that and it got axed. Overall, for 3 seasons L&C was good. However, the tradeoff was axing Superboy and losing the planned 5th and 6th seasons. I would have traded 4 seasons of L&C for 2 more seasons of Superboy.