Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Methinks Tyler and Bitsie give Christopher and Margot a run for the money

I'm loving Tyler Hoechlin and Bitsie Tulloch as much as I did Christopher Reeve and Margor Kidder as Superman/Clark and Lois. Never thought that could happen. Funny, when I first saw a photo of Tyler as Supes I felt he was "off". Not strikingly handsome like all the other Supes actors from Reeve through Cavill. More ruggedly handsome which didn't fit the stereotype I had come to accept.

Tyler proves it is not just the physical look but, as much, the passion and soul an actor brings to the role. Tyler and Bitsie are my fav Clark and Lois followed by Chris and Margot and then Gerard and Stacy. Apparently Zaslav does not know what to do, if anything, with the Superman franchise. He'd be wise to consider bringing Tyler and Bitsie to the big screen as Supes and Lois.

I've never been a fan of this idea to make the tv people into the movie people. We already have their take, if you are going to do a different project then a different cast is so much more exciting. Get a different take, get to compare and contrast with the other takes, easy differentiation that the movie world isn't the same as the tv.

I love Tyler and Bitsie in the roles, I want them to continue for years to come...but I also want new people whenever a new movie comes along.

True. It looks like under Discovery/WB that Superman will be put on indefinite hold as a film. What WB could do is turn Superman and Lois into an HBO Max series or film. It depends on how the Nexstar and CW negotiators end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    True. It looks like under Discovery/WB that Superman will be put on indefinite hold as a film. What WB could do is turn Superman and Lois into an HBO Max series or film. It depends on how the Nexstar and CW negotiators end up.
    Actually just the opposite. The Discovery merger has given me the most hope that we'll finally see progress on the Superman film front (albeit a different, better film). Zaslav has made it known he thinks Superman is being wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I've never been a fan of this idea to make the tv people into the movie people. We already have their take, if you are going to do a different project then a different cast is so much more exciting. Get a different take, get to compare and contrast with the other takes, easy differentiation that the movie world isn't the same as the tv.

I love Tyler and Bitsie in the roles, I want them to continue for years to come...but I also want new people whenever a new movie comes along.
    I meant in the sense of having Tyler and Bitsie do their gig on HBO. It's not clear where Nexstar with go with Flash and S&L next year. They are looking to develop programs targeted to an older demo. If they ax S&L after season 3 I have no problem with them reprising their roles in an HBO project.

If CW axes the show, couldn't it just continue on HBO Max? It doesn't go to Netflix like the older shows do.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

I like Bitsie a lot more than I was expecting. Tyler has the acting ability and the charisma, they just need to do two things with him:

1) Make him shave the stubble
    2) Put him on a severe course of steroids. The fake muscle suit is really obvious, worse than Homelander i'd almost say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    I'm loving Tyler Hoechlin and Bitsie Tulloch as much as I did Christopher Reeve and Margor Kidder as Superman/Clark and Lois. Never thought that could happen. Funny, when I first saw a photo of Tyler as Supes I felt he was "off". Not strikingly handsome like all the other Supes actors from Reeve through Cavill. More ruggedly handsome which didn't fit the stereotype I had come to accept.

Tyler proves it is not just the physical look but, as much, the passion and soul an actor brings to the role. Tyler and Bitsie are my fav Clark and Lois followed by Chris and Margot and then Gerard and Stacy. Apparently Zaslav does not know what to do, if anything, with the Superman franchise. He'd be wise to consider bringing Tyler and Bitsie to the big screen as Supes and Lois.
    Same. Tyler and Bitsie are now my favorite iterations in any live action, and 2nd of any iteration period besides the Trianle Era comics versions. Which is impressive considering I have issues with his costume, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

I can see that, but I'm ok with using them for a film - particularly as a "send-off" after the show ends, or even as a special event type thing. I do agree that it might be jarring, though.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    I like Bitsie a lot more than I was expecting. Tyler has the acting ability and the charisma, they just need to do two things with him:

2) Put him on a severe course of steroids. The fake muscle suit is really obvious, worse than Homelander i'd almost say.
    Yeah the suit needs some real improvement, in particular the muscles. Sometimes I think the abs in 300 look more realistic.

But I do like the stubble. And the hair. His look grew on me pretty quickly and I think it gives him his own little spin on the character. But I do see how some would not necessarily be a huge fan.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I don't think the stubble is his idea - he was generally clean-shaven in "Supergirl," after all. I do think they're having him do that for a more masculine look for "now," but I agree that he doesn't need it. He does need the spitcurl, imo. Without it, he looks (facially) like a stunt double for Lucifer Morningstar at times.

It's fascinating to me that they can't get muscle suits right - my own muscle suit looks better, and I want to overhaul it agan. Convincing muscle suits absolutely *can* be done, and I don't know why tv shows have such trouble with it. It does make Superman look bigger than Clark, which I think is the point, but they need to improve it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I don't think the stubble is his idea - he was generally clean-shaven in "Supergirl," after all. I do think they're having him do that for a more masculine look for "now," but I agree that he doesn't need it. He does need the spitcurl, imo. Without it, he looks (facially) like a stunt double for Lucifer Morningstar at times.

It's fascinating to me that they can't get muscle suits right - my own muscle suit looks better, and I want to overhaul it agan. Convincing muscle suits absolutely *can* be done, and I don't know why tv shows have such trouble with it. It does make Superman look bigger than Clark, which I think is the point, but they need to improve it.
    Yeah. As much as I like Tyler as Supes/Clark the suit is my least favorite of the live action iteration. Colors too muted, cape all wrong. It looks like a jomp suit at times and distorts the look of his body.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-07-2022 at 07:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yeah the suit needs some real improvement, in particular the muscles. Sometimes I think the abs in 300 look more realistic.

But I do like the stubble. And the hair. His look grew on me pretty quickly and I think it gives him his own little spin on the character. But I do see how some would not necessarily be a huge fan.
    I have nothing to back this up, but I have a feeling the stubble may not be entirely his idea. He's a little bit younger than Bitsie and not quite old enough to actually be the father of a couple 16-year-olds, so I'm guessing they're giving it to him to him to age him up a bit.

As far as the suit is concerned, it's weird, like in the scenes where he has his shirt off, he's clearly cut and really well built. I think the suit with the black background shield was perfect in re to his build. It was still noticeably padded, but not to the ridiculous degree it is now.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I have nothing to back this up, but I have a feeling the stubble may not be entirely his idea. He's a little bit younger than Bitsie and not quite old enough to actually be the father of a couple 16-year-olds, so I'm guessing they're giving it to him to him to age him up a bit.

As far as the suit is concerned, it's weird, like in the scenes where he has his shirt off, he's clearly cut and really well built. I think the suit with the black background shield was perfect in re to his build. It was still noticeably padded, but not to the ridiculous degree it is now.
    Agree about the black background shield suit looks fa better on Tyler. It looks natural and he looks bulked up, Remove the trunks, darken somewhat the suit and it'd be great for S&L Supes. Rather that or go with a more form fitting suit a la Cavill's suit. The waist area looks weird on Tyler's suit and the belt only accents that. IMO. Unfortunately, the S&L suit is the weakest modern day live action Superman suit.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-07-2022 at 03:24 PM.

I also am not crazy about the suit, the fake muscles could be better, and the cape - I'd love to go back to the cape clips/clasps. I always liked that better.

You know... the more I look at this, the more I think the collar is one of the largest problems the suit has.

https___bamsmackpow.com_files_image-exchange_2017_07_ie_74380.jpg

See, with the collar that high up, it tends to bunch up in weird ways and makes everything look much more fake than it should. The material used on the suit doesn't help either, if it was more sturdy it'd stay in place a bit better, but the collar would still bunch up.

For comparison, Brandon's CW suit collar (and the suit, in general) was much better:

brandon.jpg

Besides the color dynamics being less muted, the collar being at the collar bone keeps the area stretched. Tyler's a buff guy, and his neck looked fine in his old suit (the new suit looks more mature, imo, but the neckline was great)

I can see why they thought it would be good to bulk him higher up, given that sometimes the old suit was lacking in presence (particularly in width):

Superman-fortress.jpg

But the problem here is how flat the cape is and how far away it is from the neck; the framing is off, and in fact makes him look more narrow than he should (his shoulders don't get enough space).

Anyway... that just hit me, so I had to share. lol
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com