View Poll Results: Does it bother you that S&L doesn't take place in the Arrow-verse?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it bothers me

5 11.90%
  • No, I'm glad they are a different universe

19 45.24%
  • Don't care.

18 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Does S&L not being in the Arrow-verse bother you?

Does it bother you that S&L doesn't take place in the Arrow-verse? Personally, I like that it doesn't for a few reasons:

1) S&L seems to be a much more grounded version of Superman in comparison to shows like Supergirl and especially things like Legends.

2) This gives them the freedom to introduce new versions of characters that appeared on Supergirl. One of the biggest criticisms of Supergirl was that she stole all of Superman's villains. This is no longer a problem. They can even introduce their own versions of other heroes like Flash and GA. Which Diggle kind of hinted at in the first season.

3) This allows Supergirl to keep most of her pre-Crisis history without messing up things like Lucy and Luthor. Her pre-Crisis history just got shifted to Earth Prime. So everyone gets what they want. And S&L gets to define their own history without messing up anyone else's.

4) Blue heat vision is wicked cool.

I get that a lot of fans feel mislead. But there are a lot of people who didn't like the Arrow-verse lately and this lets them cut ties while still enjoying the show. Anyway, feel free to let me know what your reason is for your position.
    Last edited by superduperman; 06-30-2022 at 06:24 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Bother me? Probably put the biggest smile on my face of the whole episode, and this was an episode that gave us both sundipped Superman and the around the world Superman The Movie homage. I'm happy about it.

Doesn’t matter to me. They clearly were not going to be doing any more crossovers and have been slowly winding down the rest of the Arrowverse (odds of those CW shows in dev getting greenlit are very small now I wager), so there likely wasn’t going to be any real upside to keeping the show in that universe. Now they can use the bigger Superman villains if they want and I hope they do.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

No it doesn't.

Astonishing Member

What is the point of having this on CW if you are just going to make it its own thing? Might as well skip the middleman and just have launched this on HBO.
    Why make crossovers using this Lois and this Superman set in the Arrowverse if we are just going back to square one of establishing a universe?
    And why wait two seasons of "how the @#$ does this fit with what Supergirl established" rather than just saying that it was on a different world to begin with?

BANNED

Most Arrowverse shows suck, especially Supergirl. Why would I want one of their few success stories associated with them?

Doesn’t bother me at all. It is a good decision for this point in the Arrowverse lifespan and indicates that they think this show has legs beyond the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    What is the point of having this on CW if you are just going to make it its own thing? Might as well skip the middleman and just have launched this on HBO.
    Why make crossovers using this Lois and this Superman set in the Arrowverse if we are just going back to square one of establishing a universe?
    And why wait two seasons of "how the @#$ does this fit with what Supergirl established" rather than just saying that it was on a different world to begin with?
    I think it was a very recent decision to split it off probably within the last couple of months as the CW cancellations came down and they all probably determined that this was likely going to be spun off with the network.

Extraordinary Member

I'm confused. Does this Superman remember SG and all the rest and is just in another universe for some reason I don't know? Or does he not know them, and is in another universe...in other words truly on his own? I don't watch any of these shows anymore, so I'm out of date on the whole thing.

Whatever the answer, I do think it was for the best. The Arrowverse is a spent force at this point IMO. So there's no point tying any future properties to it either. It happened, it was fun for a time, and now it's over, pretty much like the life cycle for good product by any continuing universe, (and yeah, I'm also of the opinion that the MCU is basically over as well, at least the parts that contain decent movies, much less good ones).

Kara's never even been mentioned on S&L.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I'm confused. Does this Superman remember SG and all the rest and is just in another universe for some reason I don't know? Or does he not know them, and is in another universe...in other words truly on his own? I don't watch any of these shows anymore, so I'm out of date on the whole thing.

Whatever the answer, I do think it was for the best. The Arrowverse is a spent force at this point IMO. So there's no point tying any future properties to it either. It happened, it was fun for a time, and now it's over, pretty much like the life cycle for good product by any continuing universe, (and yeah, I'm also of the opinion that the MCU is basically over as well, at least the parts that contain decent movies, much less good ones).
    He basically doesn't know them. This is a completely separate world. The original plan seems to be have been to have it be in the Arrow-verse but they pulled all connecting elements out in the first season and decided to do their own thing. This Superman and his team do seem to know that other Earth's exist and that there are other superheroes on them. But he's the only one on this one. As for why they did this, my guess is this has something to do with the CW being for sale. Once someone buys it, my guess is any DC related properties will be pulled. They may be setting this up to be an HBOMax show only at that point. In which case, they don't need the Arrow-verse anymore.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He basically doesn't know them. This is a completely separate world. The original plan seems to be have been to have it be in the Arrow-verse but they pulled all connecting elements out in the first season and decided to do their own thing. This Superman and his team do seem to know that other Earth's exist and that there are other superheroes on them. But he's the only one on this one. As for why they did this, my guess is this has something to do with the CW being for sale. Once someone buys it, my guess is any DC related properties will be pulled. They may be setting this up to be an HBOMax show only at that point. In which case, they don't need the Arrow-verse anymore.
    Ah. Just as well. Time to do something new, IMO. Let the Arrowverse rest in memories and reruns on streaming. I wonder if they'd consider for example doing a superhero show with a lone superhero doing superhero things without a team to back them up, with no supporting cast knowing who that person is? Sort of a 180 on what they've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Ah. Just as well. Time to do something new, IMO. Let the Arrowverse rest in memories and reruns on streaming. I wonder if they'd consider for example doing a superhero show with a lone superhero doing superhero things without a team to back them up, with no supporting cast knowing who that person is? Sort of a 180 on what they've been doing.
    The CW or HBO Max? CW wouldn’t ever do that, they have a formula and rarely deviate from it. MAX might do something like that but there’s nothing in the works that I think would fit that bill.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

To be honest I had kind of already figured that they wanted it to be completely standalone so it didn't surprise me (and the Arrowverse was running on fumes as it is) even if a part of me feels that it's a tad disingenuous.

Incredible Member

I'm all for S&L being it's own universe; it gives them a chance to give new (and hopefully better) versions of Superman characters that were varied in quality on Supergirl.

I'm cool with certain actors reprising their roles (Melissa, Mechad, Calistra, Brit, Jon, Henry, Frederick, and Thomas I will gladly see them reappear as Kara, James, Cat, Lex, Toyman Sr, Metallo and Mxy), just to see what the writers would do to make them feel different from before.

I lost interest in the Arrowverse years ago so I didn't mind. But I wouldn't mind a Stargirl crossover in the future.