Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who should be the new Fantastic Four creative team?

With Dan Slott leaving the Fantastic Four in August, that means we've got a new creative team coming.

So for a little bit of fun until they're eventually announced:

Who would you want to be the new creative team in the book? And what in particular do you hope to see in the next run?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

While I would selfishly want Al Ewing to write more X-books, he would be a great fit. He can do Marvel cosmic really well and do a great job with character interactions.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I would like a run where it focuses on the family dynamic less space opera and more Full House with Uncle Doom.

I would have loved to have had Bendis on the title because of his grasp with large ensemble books. But for a current writer I would love to see Duggan (because of Marauders) or Cantwell or Mackay or Ayala.

I hope Marvel takes a risk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    While I would selfishly want Al Ewing to write more X-books, he would be a great fit. He can do Marvel cosmic really well and do a great job with character interactions.
    Good shout - and actually a possibility. Isn't he only on X-Men Red and Venom right now? And Venom has a co-writer. Ewing has done as many as four books at a time, so even if he has a creator-owned book on the go he has room for one more.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-01-2022 at 05:16 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

For writer, Kurt Busiek would be my first choice, it is surprising that he has never done Fantastic Four in these many years. But I am afraid he might not be kept up to date with the current continuity of MU. Yet, one can dream right? And Alex Ross co-plotting, designing and occasionally doing the interior art as they've worked such with Busiek before, wouldn't that be amazing

My second choices would be Chip Zdarsky and Al Ewing, I think they both need to do a Fantastic Four run at some point. Right now, Al Ewing seems more possible since he is writing less books than Zdarsky at the moment.

As for the artist, I still enjoy Mark Bagley's art and Fantastic Four looked good in his work with Fraction, would like to see him again on a , hopefully, better written book. I think Mark Bagley and Mike Allred were amazing choices for two FF books at the time. I liked recent works of R.B. Silva, Rachael Stott and Aaron Kuder as well. I would also love to see Mahmud Asrar or Javier Rodriguez. IDK I think Marvel does not have a shortage of talented artists right now since there is no editor-in-chief who deem their work worthless like Axel Alonso.

For the book, I think team and family dynamics shouldn't be the main focus of the book, keep them strong of course but I feel like everything that can be told about the interactions of these four characters have been told, so making big efforts on this subject is not needed. What I'd like to see more is their interactions with the other superheroes as individiuals. I think this was ignored for a long time now. Letting them interacting with others more can bring new dynamics to the characters. I think Scott Lang was a great addition in DeFalco era for example. In MU, they are like the most trusted and respected superheroes after Captain America, they are inspirations to many, so bring other heroes as guests to the book and let the readers to see how things play out. Sue needs this most of all, her relationships with superhero community has always been on the basis of her being a member of FF, but not as an individual.
    Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-01-2022 at 05:50 AM.

Busiek wrote the Marvels recently and used Aero in that - who hasn't been around long (less than four years in China, her first translated issue came out almost exactly three years ago). So don't worry, he's up to date.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-01-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I also have Al Ewing and Chip Zdarsky as my top choices. Chip Zdarsky has some priors with the Fantastic Four having written the Marvel 2 in One title while Reed, Sue and the kids were in limbo after Secret Wars 2015 ended and Disney was still tussling with Fox to get the rights to the FF and other Marvel properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I also have Al Ewing and Chip Zdarsky as my top choices. Chip Zdarsky has some priors with the Fantastic Four having written the Marvel 2 in One title while Reed, Sue and the kids were in limbo after Secret Wars 2015 ended and Disney was still tussling with Fox to get the rights to the FF and other Marvel properties.

Zdarsky for me. He’s shown he can write the whole cast from Marvel Two in One to Devils Reign so I would love to see him get a shot. I also have been enjoying his turn writing the main x-book so I would also like a Dugan FF to see what he can do with that team.

Mighty Member

I’d love Al Ewing to be the next writer, he has a strong grasp on continuity and honestly, FF seems right up his street.
    Zdarsky would be my second choice, but seeing as he is doinh Daredevil and Batman, I doubt he’ll want the baggage of another top tier book.

Cantwell would be my third choice, buy I hope it’s recent Iron Man Cantwell and not early days Cantwell.

Ideally I'd love Al Ewing to get a shot at it.

Al Ewing, Jed MacKay, Chris Cantwell, Rainbow Rowell, Kelly Tompson, Vita Ayala

I'm afraid that Cantwell can use Doom a lot and focus on it, so I'm not sure, but it's also a good choice.

But in general, I think it's time to give the reins of F4 to a woman.

Someone who can write normal Sue and Johnny.

Everyone but Slott and Aaron.

Williams with a good artist (loved the Giant-Men mini), Cantwell with his Iron Man art team, actually everyone who doesn’t turn the title into a goofy series.

I should add Christopher Cantwell also. He would be long shot but a good choice. I liked the one shot he did with the Fantastic Four on vacation a couple of years ago.

He has admitted in the past that he would love to write Doom again but that could be in a new mini. He wants to do a story where Doom has a minor stroke and needs to take in easy and rehab for a while. So he decides he wants to write an opera and hires an assistant to accomplish this. Of course, the opera would be about himself and somewhat autobiographical.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post
    Someone who can write normal Sue and Johnny.
    That's a must. I think Slott has made them so toxic together. I hated that story where she actually struck him.