Default Spider-Man the Manga

I'm rereading Spider-Man the Manga right now, or at least the issues I have that were published in America in 1999.

These include the only translations of a 1970s manga by artist Ryoichi Ikegami, who is actually a pretty big name thanks to the very mature rated crime drama Crying Freeman.

Is anyone here familiar with this take on Spider-Man? It is very weird.

An odd thing about the manga is that the translation was cut off after the first chapter of a new storyline. When manga became more popular in the early 2000s, Marvel made no efforts to try to reprint stories they already translated, which is interesting. My suspicion is they didn't want the headache of people discussing some of the more controversial scenes, including one which I don't believe has been translated involving this version of Spider-Man (his alter ego is Yu Komori) pleasuring himself to a rapey fantasy about his exgirlfriend.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

this isnt the one based on the show toei did?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    this isnt the one based on the show toei did?
    This is different than the Spider-Man was declares himself to be an assassin from hell, and who fights with guns and a leopard robot.

That is a version that Marvel is currently happy to promote. It's also significant as a major inspiration for the Power Rangers.

But it seems those episodes do not involve Spider-Man enjoying laced marijuana in a drug den.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

makes sense based on Sony contract leak if spider-man isnt wearing a black suit he cant use drugs either and Disney probably would have done the same as well. But looks like that spiderman show up in spider-verse according to the wiki
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I remember reading an odd issue here and there in the late 90s and thinking it was fun. My bet is the powers that be didn’t want it to get confused with that fake Spidey ninja “manga” that they started pushing in the early 2000s (which I never read, but always struck me as lame and inauthentic).

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    makes sense based on Sony contract leak if spider-man isnt wearing a black suit he cant use drugs either and Disney probably would have done the same as well. But looks like that spiderman show up in spider-verse according to the wiki
    If I recall, he appeared off-panel in some tie-in story. They mention him and at least one other Japanese Spidey, but they don't actually appear in the comic, even if the Leopardon Spidey does.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

How many Spider-Man manga's have there been...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I remember reading an odd issue here and there in the late 90s and thinking it was fun. My bet is the powers that be didn’t want it to get confused with that fake Spidey ninja “manga” that they started pushing in the early 2000s (which I never read, but always struck me as lame and inauthentic).
    Oh, you mean the Marvel Mangaverse? Ha, yeah. In retrospect . . . not that good a look, as it did come off more like Americans attempting to mimic manga tropes and conventions, and only showing a superficial understanding of those tropes and conventions. Nowadays, with actual mangaka more willing to do work based on Marvel superheroes, if there were a more unified line for "Marvel heroes reinterpreted in the style of manga," it'd be more likely to have professional mangaka working alongside Marvel Comics for the sake of greater credibility (and yes, authenticity). Hell, Kazuki Takahashi (R.I.P.) did a Spider-Man/Iron Man team-up before he passed on, and Kohei Horikoshi, the mangaka behind My Hero Academia, explicitly admitted that Spider-Man was his chief inspiration for MHA's main protagonist, so it's not like there isn't opportunity, especially after Spider-Man: Fake Red (R.I.P.) and Yusuke Murata of One-Punch Man doing covers for Spider-Man back in 2015.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Don't tell me, you are reffering to that atrocity depicting Yu Komori (the japanese Spidey) in that scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Don't tell me, you are reffering to that atrocity depicting Yu Komori (the japanese Spidey) in that scene?
    I expect so.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I expect so.
    No...With all due respect...no.
    That thing is simply not my Spider-Man.
    I saw more geniune Spider-Man in the show with the ''Spider Megazord'' than that horrible insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    No...With all due respect...no.
    That thing is simply not my Spider-Man.
    I saw more geniune Spider-Man in the show with the ''Spider Megazord'' than that horrible insult.
    As one important note, the manga had two writers. I don't believe that scene has been translated in the US, but it would come from the second writer. The first writer Kōsei Ono's run features typical supervillains and is closer to the regular Marvel comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets