Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    "Otto stole my body, tried to kill me, tried to **** my ex-girlfriend while impersonating me, masturbated on my body, killed people, almost ruined my relationship with my family... But he made my 200 year old aunt stop limping, so he's the best!"
    You know that the Aunt May character isn't 200 years old, so is the joke just "Ha ha old people"? At what age should people no longer be treated with dignity?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I don't know. There are several characters from MC2 that already have a counterpart in Earth-616: Cassie Lang as Stinger, Jessica Drew's son (even if he's still a baby).... I think there were several more but I can't remember them.
    And a lot of them are pretty different, and we shouldn't ignore that merging characters with MC2 would basically mean a time skip without a time skip.

Either way, the rest or Marvel won't be messed with for the sake of correcting a plot hole in Mephisto's vision if Marvel decides to use Mayday in it, and just the possibility of Mayday being used alone is pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You know that the Aunt May character isn't 200 years old, so is the joke just "Ha ha old people"?
    Yes, I exaggerate stuff about characters, and their ages are included if it's something notable about 'em. Hell I even do the age thing with a friend of mine here and there.

At what age should people no longer be treated with dignity?
    I mean, I make mocking jokes about any character, including ones I like, aunt May is just another punching bag, and not even a frequent one.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 07-02-2022 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

I don't know. There are several characters from MC2 that already have a counterpart in Earth-616: Cassie Lang as Stinger, Jessica Drew's son (even if he's still a baby).... I think there were several more but I can't remember them.
    Slott made a Q+A video about his Fantastic Four run two years ago where he addressed MC2 elements being included in 616, he made it clear he'd prefer MC2 stuff to remain in MC2

Mixed feelings on this one

New Spidey ongoing = Great
    Bagley on a Spider-Book = Great
    Slott on a Spider-Book= Mixed
    Slott on a Book dealing with Morlun and the greater Verse = Slightly more positive
    Adjectiveless title = Great
    Adjectiveless title on a book that isn't a back-to-basics direction = Mixed

Astonishing Member

It's a joke, right? I mean, he's been writing Peter for so many years, lol, why does he need another run?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's a joke, right? I mean, he's been writing Peter for so many years, lol, why does he need another run?
    maybe cause he likes writing spiderman
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    maybe cause he likes writing spiderman
    I'm watching an interview Slott had with, of all people, Ethan Van Sciver, and he said the one piece of advise everyone who ever worked on Spider-Man gave him was 'never give up the chair'

Astonishing Member

Yes, I exaggerate stuff about characters, and their ages are included if it's something notable about 'em. Hell I even do the age thing with a friend of mine here and there.

I mean, I make mocking jokes about any character, including ones I like, aunt May is just another punching bag, and not even a frequent one.
    Why is mocking someone's age acceptable? Would you mock a character's ethnicity, gender, sexuality or disability?

This is just a theory, but I believe that, at the end of the arc, several Spiders could end up trapped on Earth-616 and get things complicated for Peter... Or maybe easier.

You see, I can't avoid to think about some of those spiders trapped on Earth-616 might be MC2's Mayday and RYV's Annie. Based on Mephisto's vision, this could suit for his reign being defeated just like he saw. And maybe the presence of these two could help to restore the Spider-Marriage on Earth-616. Don't you think?
    That simply won't work unless Gwen Stacy gets trapped as well. Currently, she has the ability to travel between worlds using a special necklace. She mostly uses that to commute from her own Earth-65 to 616, but can actually use it to visit any universe. Hence, she'd be able to take them home, unless it was destroyed.
    There's an MC2 version of Anya Corazon who never lost her original Arana powers and was still operating under her original status quo even as an adult (which means that version lacks her later Spider-Girl powers). Of course, that version appeared when Anya's first series was still running. Of course we saw older versions of plenty of other 616 heroes too, though due to when the MC2 world started, apart from Cassie, all of the Young Avengers and Champions are missing, meaning that reality is now outdated. Most of the characters who exist instead - Mainframe, J2, Wild Thing, American Dream, for example - lack 616 counterparts.

Actually, there is one Champion who technically has a counterpart - Nadia. There was a character called Red Queen, aka Hope Pym, who was a villain and the daughter of Hank and Janet. The MCU version of Hope is a heroic version of her using the Wasp mantle, and Nadia is in turn loosely based on her (though her backstory needed changing as it was impossible for her to be Janet's daughter due to her and Hank not meeting long enough ago, let alone needing to explain where the kid's been all these years).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-03-2022 at 07:17 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

We're talking about a terrorist who tried to kill the planet, but apparently "rape by deception" is too much to describe him as that? Really man?

What he tried on MJ is definitely an attempt at rape by deception, with Anna Maria it's less bad because she didn't personally know Peter, but he was still stealing somneone else's corpse to try to pretend he's not Otto and is instead, someone who's not a monster, someone who Anna Maria wouldn't want to be with, so yeah, "less bad" still means "Ayo what the ****", and I don't see how that is not rape by deception.
    I don't think anyone gets to claim the moral high ground when they're changing goalposts on a sensitive topic like rape. Real people have been affected by it, in a way that they have not been affected by comic book supervillain plots.

If you think Doctor Octopus's actions in "Ends of the Earth" are so extreme that it takes you out of the story in Superior Spider-Man, say so.

But bringing up a taboo topic because you don't like a comic book writer, and then changing the goalposts to talk about something else if you're interested in discussing the implications of applying this standard to all work, is icky.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to read more on that discussion, there was a thread about it a few years ago.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

1. Slott is back. He is good on the right characters, but man that Disney+ episode really soured some fans on him, even if it was done in a jokey tongue in cheek style. Hopefully he can stay off of Twitter for awhile.

2. Anything that cuts down on superfluous Spider-heroes is fine with me. Slott should just keep killing until only Peter, Miles, Miguel and Jessica is left. Gwen, is from another universe and we already had Miles crossover and no one wants the headache of trying to integrate that character. The only cool thing about the character was the costume anyway just find another teen to give spider powers to and have her wear it. Hopefully when Slott is done he can make his way over X-Books and start cleaning out the Wolverine wannabes then it's a short trip over to the Cap books and he can take care of those extra Caps that were created awhile back in The United States Of Captain America
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think anyone gets to claim the moral high ground when they're changing goalposts on a sensitive topic like rape. Real people have been affected by it, in a way that they have not been affected by comic book supervillain plots.

If you think Doctor Octopus's actions in "Ends of the Earth" are so extreme that it takes you out of the story in Superior Spider-Man, say so.

But bringing up a taboo topic because you don't like a comic book writer, and then changing the goalposts to talk about something else if you're interested in discussing the implications of applying this standard to all work, is icky.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to read more on that discussion, there was a thread about it a few years ago.
    Fiction trivializes reality all the time. Do movies about blowing up mooks with a quip not trivialize violence?
    As for sensitivity, I'd first point to people with responsibility of publication instead of those who're just performing some sort of analysis of what's on the page.

It seems rather obvious that none of these interpretations were on Slott's or editorial's minds, anyway, but that doesn't mean they can't be discussed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

First of all, what happened to Anna Maria was definitely rape by deception, she consented to sex with Peter Parker, a 28 year old former newspaper photographer who isn't a mass murderer, but instead had sex with a genocidal would be dictator who happily thought he has killed Peter Parker. This is NOT moving the goal posts, people try to trick partners into sex without receiving their full consent all the time, it was even in Greek myth, and ffs we as a society should be more evolved than to wave off actual sexual assault with "oh, he's just a jerk, tee hee ain't it funny, it doesn't count because she doesn't know she was tricked in the moment."

If the word rape is so triggering to you, if you think it is so "taboo" when sexual assault is so incredibly common that 1 out of 5 American women have been raped or experienced attempted rape and nearly 43% of American men have reported some form of sexual harassment or assault - then perhaps think hard about why you don't think that word is appropriate to apply to having sex with partners who didn't consent.

Ignoring clear depictions of sexual assualt that ignore the rights of people to fully consent to sex just to stan for an author is....there are no words. Yes, this is a comic book but it reflects the real world and treating characters - who are mostly female - as objects for the protagonist to trick for sex and then wave it off as "it's all just fun" is....again, there are no words.

And no, this isn't a "cudgel" to go after Slott. It is something that happened in Superior twice and was swept under the rug as "Otto being a jerk" with Anna Maria condoning his behavior as being superior to Peter because at least Otto didn't date supermodels and with Mary Jane basically saying, “everything is your fault, Peter, byes" so yes, it's going to continue to be brought up.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 07-03-2022 at 08:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

double post, sorry!

I mean, hell, we keep discussing MJ and Anna Maria, and rightfully so, but what about Peter? His body was subjected to sexual activity against his will (and he's completely aware of it on the MJ issue) and/or without knowledge or consent.