Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Why is mocking someone's age acceptable? Would you mock a character's ethnicity, gender, sexuality or disability?
    Depending on the joke, maybe, and I do so with people who are part of my "group" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think anyone gets to claim the moral high ground when they're changing goalposts on a sensitive topic like rape. Real people have been affected by it, in a way that they have not been affected by comic book supervillain plots.
    Who's moving goal posts? I'm pointing out that Otto attempted rape by deception on MJ, and definitely did so on Anna Maria.

If you think Doctor Octopus's actions in "Ends of the Earth" are so extreme that it takes you out of the story in Superior Spider-Man, say so.
    I generally do say so, a lot of times I say Superior trying to redeem Otto falls flat when 5 minutes before it he tried to kill the planet lol.

It's not even the only problem I have with Superior too, I still think the story would be mediocre and mean spirited if Ends of the Earth didn't happen, it's just that Ends of the Earth makes it even worse.

But bringing up a taboo topic because you don't like a comic book writer, and then changing the goalposts to talk about something else if you're interested in discussing the implications of applying this standard to all work, is icky.
    Whether or not I like Slott has nothing to do with me judging Otto's actions, he made Otto have sex with some other chick while he was pretending to be Peter so Imma call it rape by deception (And technically identity theft too) because that's what he did.

Since you're convinced I'm pointing out the rape by deception is an attempt to talk **** about a writer I don't like, let's talk about a writer who I find better.

So there's DeMatteis, the guy who can be considered the best Spider-Man writer, he also made a story with rape by deception.

See, there's Alyosha, one of Kraven's infinite children, and there's Calypso, Kraven's main lover, she saw Alyosha and thought that was Kraven, something Alyosha only corrected her after having sex with her, and he even laughed at her face, she was understandably pissed off at that.

That is rape by deception, written by a writer who I find to be far better than Slott, and since Calypso actually knew Kraven, you can say that what Alyosha did with her is worse than what Otto did with Anna Maria too (Both are rape by deception either way, but pretending to be someone the person actually knows is worse), this is part of ASM still too since that never got retconned away.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    1. Slott is back. He is good on the right characters, but man that Disney+ episode really soured some fans on him, even if it was done in a jokey tongue in cheek style. Hopefully he can stay off of Twitter for awhile.
    What episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I mean, hell, we keep discussing MJ and Anna Maria, and rightfully so, but what about Peter? His body was subjected to sexual activity against his will (and he's completely aware of it on the MJ issue) and/or without knowledge or consent.
    Wasn't his disgust at what Otto is doing played for laughs too?

Been a while since I checked out those issues, so I'm not sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Mighty Member

Hey Dan,

Looking forward to this. Is there anything we should be reading before End of Spiderverse or the ongoing generally (besides ASM, obviously)?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    I'm not "answering someone."
    I'm setting the record straight where someone on this board was grossly misrepresenting what I've said online-- misrepresenting to the point of lying.
    If someone were doing that about something you had said clearly and plainly elsewhere, I'd hope you'd feel free to do the same.
    Fair enough.

I feel free to do the same, and would if I judged such a response was necessary, but I also pick my battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Wasn't his disgust at what Otto is doing played for laughs too?
    I seem to remember the same thing.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Hey Dan,

Thanks for stopping by. I was just saying a couple of pages ago how excited I am to have you back on Spider-Man, especially on an ongoing series and teamed up with Mark Bagley. Keep up the good work and have fun, I know I will.

Spectacular Member

See, there's Alyosha, one of Kraven's infinite children, and there's Calypso, Kraven's main lover, she saw Alyosha and thought that was Kraven, something Alyosha only corrected her after having sex with her, and he even laughed at her face, she was understandably pissed off at that.
    It's a no win situation either way, but, considering how the villainess woc died... I'd take Slott over JMD there. At least with one, the female victim wasn't murdered by her rapist and Peter returned. A person can make the false equivalency that OttoAnna is like a police informant that got into a relationship after having plastic surgery before going into witness protection then was given a new identity. The comparison completely falls apart once you put any thought into the characters since Peter had no control of the situation and Anna consented without knowing there was another person who's rights Otto was infringing on but you can almost understand confusion with one author (kinda like Spencer) but with JMD you have to look at it as the period piece it is and sigh at yet another pointless attack on women.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    My problem is why is Slott getting another Peter book when Marvel knows Slott is a “Lightening Rod” for those who dislike him? I do not understand their thinking in the least.
    He wrote Spider-Man for ten years and kept the book at the top of the charts during that entire time. His reputation as a “lightning rod” is really only in small online corners like this. It’s the definition of “echo chamber”—look at how many people regularly comment on these boards: it’s minuscule compared to the number of readers of the monthly Amazing Spider-Man book, but if this is where you mainly come to talk about Spider-Man you can easily be fooled into thinking this is represents a majority.
    The vast majority of people who read Amazing are at worst ambivalent about Slott—he wasn’t bad enough to cause sales to drop by an significant alarming amount, and I imagine a large portion like what he did on the book since they kept reading.
    So the thinking is probably that the satellite Spider-man books have always kind of struggled compared to Amazing so launching this one with two big name creators with a long history with the character will get more Amazing readers to check it out than did Tom Taylor and Juan Cabal on Friendly Neighborhood or Kelly and Bachalo on Non-Stop.

I've seen that a LOT online with fans who have griped about Spidey being the butt of jokes, but then making a lot of positive "Bag Head" posts when Hasbro revealed the new "Bag Head" figure. And I'm not mad at that, I just find it weird and confounding when it does happen. That's it. The end. Full stop.
    It's been my unscientific observation that, fairly or not, that there's a perception that your take on Spider-Man is that he's a fundamentally incompetent character (if I had a nickel for every time someone says "Slott made Spider-Man a manchild" or brings up the interview where you said that you write him as a 15 year old...). So, you making Spider-Man wear the bag isn't seen as one of the ironic indignities of life he's famous for or things going wrong for him, but you depicting him as an inherent figure of mockery and contempt.

Long story short, your reputation is that you don't have us laughing at the situations Spider-Man finds himself in, but at Spider-Man himself, and will probably come across as mean-spirited.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Hey Dan, what do you think of the whole What If: Miles Morales was Thor craziness? If you don't want to weigh in I understand.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Hey Dan, what do you think of the whole What If: Miles Morales was Thor craziness? If you don't want to weigh in I understand.
    Or how wholesome can we expect from the part you're doing for Amazing Fantasty 1000?

What episode?
    Don't even remember it now. I'm sure the show will come up if you feed Dan Slott and Disney Plus into a search engine
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Hey Dan,

Thanks for stopping by. I was just saying a couple of pages ago how excited I am to have you back on Spider-Man, especially on an ongoing series and teamed up with Mark Bagley. Keep up the good work and have fun, I know I will.
    Thank you! I've kinda been overwhelmed by the amount of positive reaction we've been getting.
    Mark and I are going to work very hard to give you the best damn Spidey adventures we can! Mark's already drawn a few issues and they look gorgeous!

I don't mean to be a downer, but I don't really post on CBR. (Edit: This is my 8th post here in 3 years.)

I find that there are are too many regulars here who have some views/takes/interpretations of my work that... (I'm trying to find a diplomatic way of saying this)... don't really reflect what I actually wrote, and say far more about the eye-of-the-beholder than the words and art on the actual pages.
    I don't think my time here interacting with them would be productive.

If people want to ask me questions and interact with me online, the best way to do that would be through a Twitter account, and by sending me a request to follow me there.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 07-03-2022 at 11:31 PM.

Don't even remember it now. I'm sure the show will come up if you feed Dan Slott and Disney Plus into a search engine
    Is it the documentary talking about the Marvel Method? That's the only thing I found.

Thank you! I've kinda been overwhelmed by the amount of positive reaction we've been getting.
    Mark and I are going to work very hard to give you the best damn Spidey adventures we can! Mark's already drawn a few issues and they look gorgeous!

I don't mean to be a downer, but I don't really post on CBR.
    I find that there are are too many regulars here who have some views/takes/interpretations of my work that... (I'm trying to find a diplomatic way of saying this)... don't really reflect what I actually wrote, and say far more about the eye-of-the-beholder than the words and art on the actual pages.
    I don't think my time here interacting with them would be productive.

If people want to ask me questions and interact with me online, the best way to do that would be through a Twitter account, and by sending me a request to follow me there.
    Thanks.
    Honestly I'm surprised everytime you bother to come back in here, 'cause the way people around here can make their dislike for your run reach a silly dislike for you as a person, it's kinda amazing you even return, if I were in your position, I'd likely just see CBR as not worth it and leave just for people like this alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Incredible Member

I’m kinda turned off by Marvel and Spider-Man as of late, considering how Ben Reilly was handled…. But Slott and Bagely. I’m really reconsidering. Slott’s run is the first time I collected Amazing Spider-Man (or any of the Satellite books )ongoing since… well since Marvel killed off Ben Reilly. Well I collected Ultimate, but that’s a whole other story, lol.

Some of my absolute favorite stories, (Spider-Island) were during this time.

I’m game.

This is a gross mischaracterization of what I've said on Twitter.
    You really have to work overtime to spin it this way.
    It's kind of bizarre.

"Spider-Man comics should be funny.
    And it's okay to make *him* the butt of the joke."

The post shows 4 examples.
    3 where Spider-Man is making fun of someone, or having fun at their expense.
    And 1 where Spidey is the butt of a joke.

That post is not claiming that Spidey should be the butt of jokes.
    It's saying that Spidey can be the butt of jokes.

Spidey has been the butt of jokes numerous times in the Lee/Ditko run, the Lee/Romita run, and in most runs across his 60 year history.
    This is nothing new.
    This is a fact.

"There's a contingent of Spider-Fandom that gets annoyed by that, but, oddly enough, a lot of those fans look fondly back on the "Paper Bag Head" Spidey sequence from the DeFalco/Frenz run."

In no way does that part of the post say that people who don't like my stuff love the bag head stuff.
    If you're reading that into that post, that's on you.
    I'm pointing out that I find it ironic that people who claim to be annoyed by the idea that Spidey can be the butt of a joke are, many times, readers who will also make posts about fondly talking about the "Bag Head" sequence from the DeFalco/Frenz run.

I've seen that a LOT online with fans who have griped about Spidey being the butt of jokes, but then making a lot of positive "Bag Head" posts when Hasbro revealed the new "Bag Head" figure. And I'm not mad at that, I just find it weird and confounding when it does happen. That's it. The end. Full stop.
    Thank you for correcting this.

Personally I think the issue is that you in your run maybe over-emphasized on Spidey being the butt of jokes to the point where it hurt the character a little and didn't make him come off very well (especially in relation to other characters), but that's just me.

(I also don't really see how peoples' reactions to a figure have to do with Peter's characterizations in the comics per se, but again, that's just me ).

Is it the documentary talking about the Marvel Method? That's the only thing I found
    Yeah, that's the one.