Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    This was Spencer right?

He went hard on this throughout his run and in the end they pulled the ol' Montreal screwjob.

But on the topic at hand, why can't Marvel take risks with other writers I mean that's the point of these satellite books
    Yes. And yes, they did. As for Marvel being afraid to take risks with other writers on a satellite Spider-Man book . . . it's still Spider-Man. He's Marvel's ultimate mascot. They'll play it safe with him, or at least what they think is safe, because they're scared any real evolution or growth in his character will make him "less relatable." Except people in real life grow and evolve and change, so if they wanted him to be relatable . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    At least Slott gives Peter some happy moments
    I guess? Can't really think of any besides Spider-Island's ending, but hey, that's somethin' at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    You're not the only one. He has fun ideas, in a "let's build a LEGO playset" kind of way. His execution is...lacking.
    That and even if the execution is alright, his "plot over character" mentality gets on the way.

It's annoying how he changes a character's personality to make a specific plot work, instead of putting a character in that situation and thinking about how they'd react, MJ is a victim of this given how her opinion on Spidey changes at random, but she's far from the only one.

One of the most the most ridiculous examples is in everyone's favorite story about a villain trying to prove he can be a better Spider-Man than Spidey himself, y'know, the one with the 4 metal arms guy.

JJ there suddenly becomes a supporter of Otto's brutality because... He thought Spidey wasn't doing enough before? That not only contradicts how JJ acts in general, it contradicts Otto's own JJ.

And that's another thing that can be annoying with Slott's run, the guy contradicts himself, Peter can be both an incompetent manchild, and a mature, competent leader-like hero, MJ can both love Spidey and try to stab someone for just speaking of arachnids, even his blatantly favoriteism towards Otto has issues with how the story wants us to believe he can be redeemed when just a few issues before he wanted to kill almost everyone on the planet to be the biggest monster in history... Everyone changes for the sake of his plots, that's fanfiction level of bad writing.

Spider-Verse is the most mean-spirited and spiteful thing I've ever had the misfortune to read. Like, the story went purposefully out of its way to actively spit on fan-favorite characters. Superior was also mean-spirited. In fact, Slott's treatment of MJ - and I'd include other female characters, from May to Carlie - is highly mean-spirited. And IMO the Scorpio and Parker Industries stories actively insulted my intelligence as a reader. I've luckily locked most of his run out of my memory.

I'd take Wells over Slott if I had to chose. The mystery box is highly annoying and he's writing for the trade collection so the pacing is excruiating for monthly readers; his Peter and Mary Jane are very badly drawn, in part because Wells is trying so hard to keep the lid on the mystery box he's forgotten to give them motivations or to provide reasons for the reader to care or root for them. But so far, it's been more entertaining than a Slott run; Tombstone is fun if drawing all the focus away from Peter in his own book, and the dialogue - with the exception of the arch elliptic conversations to keep the mystery box lid screwed on tight - is far more natural and fun to read than Slott's.

I'd rather take neither, of course.
    Honestly the habit of writing for trade and make a bunch of stories where most of the pages are wasted on nothing is so annoying.

I mean ****, I knew ASM#1 vol 6 would probably be of questionable quality the moment I saw this:

Miss me with this bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Okay, but is Morlun going to flip the script and manage to actually be a compelling character this time around? 'cuz my chips right now are on "No".
    You couldn't have made a safer bet if you tried lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    The only time Morlun's ever been good was his first appearance.
    I thought he was interesting on the Spectacular tie-in for Spider-Geddon.

His defeat even makes sense with what JMS established about Morlun, even if it's not pointed out.

This was Spencer right?
    Bobbi stuff I alluded to was from the end of Slott's run, the scan is from Spencer's run, right after Last Remains.

He went hard on this throughout his run and in the end they pulled the ol' Montreal screwjob.

But on the topic at hand, why can't Marvel take risks with other writers I mean that's the point of these satellite books
    Short answer? They're cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yes. And yes, they did. As for Marvel being afraid to take risks with other writers on a satellite Spider-Man book . . . it's still Spider-Man. He's Marvel's ultimate mascot. They'll play it safe with him, or at least what they think is safe, because they're scared any real evolution or growth in his character will make him "less relatable." Except people in real life grow and evolve and change, so if they wanted him to be relatable . . .
    The "relatable" **** is always about keeping his relatable to people on the younger side, while being controlled by people who don't know what youth means.

Ultimately it's just excuses to keep him static and safe (Well, what they consider safe) for, reasons.

Comic books are ultimately a business, and business doesn't like risks, and people who work in business can also be really bad at it, if what Marvel and DC can pull at times is any hint.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

yeah that sucks so hard because you can keep the status quo in the flagship title and they can do interesting stuff with new up and coming writers. The thing that is crazy I actually like Slott's run and Slott as a writer but he wrote for nearly a decade what else is there it's very similar to Claremont by the end of his run the X-Men were stagnant until the Young Guns came and and blew it out of the water.

But you're totally right nothing if gonna change.. sigh...

Well, the art will be good, if nothing else. Not a Slott fan, at all, so easy pass for me. Not looking forward to the flame wars here, given how divisive and polarizing a figure Slott is among the fans.

Don’t forget MJ is almost raped by deception (Anna Maria is), MJ has her privacy violated by Otto pleasuring himself to Peter’s memories, MJ sits in a raging fire and passively waits to be rescued, MJ victim blames Peter for having his body stolen, MJ’s intelligence is mocked, Peter thinks Otto is better than him because Otto was strong enough to break up with MJ, MJ is used as Slott’s mouthpiece to shill for Carlie by making disparaging remarks about herself and her and Peter’s relationship…

And that’s just MJ. That’s not touching the squicky forced sex pheromones or writing Bobbi Morse, fresh off her own acclaimed miniseries, horribly OOC…

It’s a fact, we are living in truly the absolute worst timeline.
    I'm really surprised that no one, from Slott to the editors, stopped to consider that maybe they shouldn't cross those lines (esp. making the "hero" of the story an unrepentant rapist). I seriously don't get that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If Slott and Bagley want to tell more Spider-Man stories, that's great.

This is also the one way to launch a satellite book for Spider-Man. Adjectiveless Spider-Man is a title that doesn't have the baggage of being just a second-tier book. Bringing top creators from the past is a way to suggest that this series matters, and will build on previous work readers have enjoyed. It's also a smart move to open in the aftermath of a major event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Hopefully Slott has had some time now to recharge his batteries

I said it before, Peter working for Osborn and using his tech is exactly his kind of toy
    Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Finally, a Spider-book to get excited about again! And with Superior's 10th anniversary coming up next year, the perfect time for Slott to come back.
    I haven't enjoyed ASM as much since Slott left so this is very exciting news for me. I can finally enjoy a Spider-Man title featuring Peter again. Miles Morales Spider-Man, Venom, and even Carnage have been consistently good books. I liked the Ben Reilly story in ASM but dropped it after that cause I just couldn't stand Romita Jr's art.

Wow absolutely nobody asked for this.
    I did! Super stoked!

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man is 60 this year and so far, he's having a **** birthday. The 50th wasn't good either but looks good when compared to the 60th. The 40th anniversary was great thanks to Joseph Michael Straczynski on The Amazing Spider-Man and Spidey making his big screen debut. I have no interest whatsoever in this. Slott is very hit and miss on Spider-Man. Superior Spider-Man, he should have gone out on. Only thing I liked from Dan post TSSM was the Renee Your Vows miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Spider-Man is 60 this year and so far, he's having a **** birthday. The 50th wasn't good either but looks good when compared to the 60th. The 40th anniversary was great thanks to Joseph Michael Straczynski on The Amazing Spider-Man and Spidey making his big screen debut. I have no interest whatsoever in this. Slott is very hit and miss on Spider-Man. Superior Spider-Man, he should have gone out on. Only thing I liked from Dan post TSSM was the Renee Your Vows miniseries.
    Man, only now I realized that I never knew before what the "J" in "JMS" stands for, and I would never guess it's "Joseph" lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Man, only now I realized that I never knew before what the "J" in "JMS" stands for, and I would never guess it's "Joseph" lol.
    Happy to help.

Niffleheim

Finally some excitement and energy on a Spidey book that I can actually look forward to Slott always delivers for me and I know he is not liked on this board but he'll always get my money lol!
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Ugh, will this man ever leave Peter alone.The curse that keeps on giving

I'd like this if Slott treats Peter w/ some respect, as much as I hate the chosen one thing that's the only respect he's gotten in a long time but the last Spider-event sidelined the F out of Peter and gave all the big stuff to others...

Really hope they don't pill stupid stuff like that

Also why not just bring back a solo satelittle for Peter, Batman and Superman get treated FAR better than Peter even when his aniversary is around the corner
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-01-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Ugh, will this man ever leave Peter alone.The curse that keeps on giving

I'd like this if Slott treats Peter w/ some respect, as much as I hate the chosen one thing that's the only respect he's gotten in a long time but the last Spider-event sidelined the F out of Peter and gave all the big stuff to others...
    Clearly, "Chosen One" means "The one chosen to be sidelined" .

Also why not just bring back a solo satelittle for Peter, Batman and Superman get treated FAR better than Peter even when his aniversary is around the corner
    Marvel thinks that the true way of writing Spider-Man is by making him suffer, therefore, the best way to celebrate his anniversary is to keep him suffering.

That explains why Alpha was created too .

Also since Slott is coming back for a satellite title near Spidey's 60th anniversary, anyone else think that Alpha will get a sidekick called "Omega"? I'm still banking on that .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Clearly, "Chosen One" means "The one chosen to be sidelined" .

Marvel thinks that the true way of writing Spider-Man is by making him suffer, therefore, the best way to celebrate his anniversary is to keep him suffering.

That explains why Alpha was created too .

Also since Slott is coming back for a satellite title near Spidey's 60th anniversary, anyone else think that Alpha will get a sidekick called "Omega"? I'm still banking on that .
    Alpha and Omega. Genius.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, the art will be good, if nothing else. Not a Slott fan, at all, so easy pass for me. Not looking forward to the flame wars here, given how divisive and polarizing a figure Slott is among the fans.

I'm really surprised that no one, from Slott to the editors, stopped to consider that maybe they shouldn't cross those lines (esp. making the "hero" of the story an unrepentant rapist). I seriously don't get that.
    That answer's pretty simple. They just didn't view it that way. This is a relatively recent argument, moreso when Superior Spider-Man #2 was printed.

The entire "rape by deception" argument has some unsettling implications for superhero comics, where the characters often keep big secrets.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Alpha and Omega. Genius.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That answer's pretty simple. They just didn't view it that way. This is a relatively recent argument, moreso when Superior Spider-Man #2 was printed.
    How is it a relatively recent argument when it was pointed out to be the case even back then?

Even if the idea of taking over someone's body is fantastical, identity theft is very much not, you can at least say Mr. Octopus Terrorist was doing a worse version of identity theft, which's bad enough, trying to live his life pretending to be a dead guy, also bad, trying to **** his ex, bad, trying to start a relationship with a chick who normally wouldn't want to date Mr. Octopus Terrorist, also bad.

The entire "rape by deception" argument has some unsettling implications for superhero comics, where the characters often keep big secrets.
    Big difference between "I'm someone who's secretly a super-hero" and "I'm someone who stole this guy's body and am trying to **** his ex".

Plus, same company that did One More Day, let's not pretend Marvel is things like sensitive about touchy subjects, or self aware.

This was Spencer right?

Recent satellite books have flopped, so even going with a new title is a risk.

They're going with Slott because they like him. This may be a rare opportunity to launch a satellite book that readers think matters, which would be helpful to new writers a few years down the line.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets