Extraordinary Member

Default Batman '89 #6 Preview

Batman '89 #6 Preview
    Writer: Sam Hamm
    Artist: Joe Quinones

I had honestly forgotten this was still going.

I see we're at the part where the main villain discovers Batman's secret identity (again).

I didn't think they could try to make Pfeiffer's costume sexier but now she's got thigh highs and a leotard .

BANNED

Bruce and Selina in this are so sweet.

Everything's going to come crashing down for them, but I'll take moments like this when I can get them.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 07-07-2022 at 02:17 AM.

Mighty Member

There's so much going on in those preview pages. I fear the final issue might be very rushed due to the weird pacing.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This entire book has been a bizarre mess and I'm really excited for the conclusion.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Well, I called the ending with Bruce and Selina. A bit dumb considering how relatively mature and mellowed out she'd acted the whole series, now suddenly she's back to being the psycho killer that deals with all of Bruce's baggage and freaks out at him when he gets freaked out about it?

I wonder if this is tying into the Flash movie where Bruce is alone? That said, one of the newspaper headlines in the CW Crisis indicated this Batman would marry Selina, so I don't buy that this is it for either of them.

Barbera being set up as Oracle on one of the last remaining pages was a major rush job.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 07-07-2022 at 02:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Well, I called the ending with Bruce and Selina. A bit dumb considering how relatively mature and mellowed out she'd acted the whole series, now suddenly she's back to being the psycho killer that deals with all of Bruce's baggage and freaks out at him when he gets freaked out about it?

I wonder if this is tying into the Flash movie where Bruce is alone? That said, one of the newspaper headlines in the CW Crisis indicated this Batman would marry Selina, so I don't buy that this is it for either of them.

Barbera being set up as Oracle on one of the last remaining pages was a major rush job.
    How is it setting up Barbara to be Oracle when the person calling themselves Oracle was the one who wrote the letter to Barbara?

And again, I have a hard time seeing this Batman being in anything approaching the same universe as the 2 Burton films. "I'm not a killer." Yes you are, Bruce. You killed many people in both movies. You blew up a bomb in people's faces in Axis chemicals, threw a man off a skyscraper, set a man on fire, and strapped a bomb to another man, threw him in a ditch, and smiled as you blew him to smithereens. You are a killer and a murderer who enjoyed killing and you have no right to pretend otherwise or take a holier-than-thou attitude with Selina

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    How is it setting up Barbara to be Oracle when the person calling themselves Oracle was the one who wrote the letter to Barbara?
    That'll teach me never to speed read.

Mighty Member

I am very conflicted on this finale and series as a whole. I do like a lot of the ideas it has. This is easily one of my favorite versions of Two-Face, partly in how it recontextualizes him as a Black politician who is conflicted between doing the right thing and his own self-ambition, as well as how he perceives his decisions as alternate timelines and some of his random nature from his early appearances. Drake as Robin works, definitely more so than Schumacher Robin did. And it has a lot of fanservice that seamlessly fits in the story. But Hamm also tries to fit too much script into the story, especially towards the end. Scenes just shift from panel to panel without clear transitions. The rushed pacing doesn't help. It could've used an extra issue or two to space the story out.

Catwoman has more of a purpose in this final issue, I suppose, but her whole story wasn't fleshed out enough and was honestly taking time from everything going on with Two-Face and Robin. I mean, Gordon's death was handled off-screen. I didn't even know he was supposed to be dead until the news report confirmed it. I think Catwoman's return should've been saved up for a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    And again, I have a hard time seeing this Batman being in anything approaching the same universe as the 2 Burton films. "I'm not a killer." Yes you are, Bruce. You killed many people in both movies. You blew up a bomb in people's faces in Axis chemicals, threw a man off a skyscraper, set a man on fire, and strapped a bomb to another man, threw him in a ditch, and smiled as you blew him to smithereens. You are a killer and a murderer who enjoyed killing and you have no right to pretend otherwise or take a holier-than-thou attitude with Selina
    To be fair, the movies could be inconsistent with that too. He killed Joker and so many henchmen with no problem, yet he tried to stop Selina from killing Shreck, who absolutely deserved it. It's a aspect I wish didn't carry to the comic (or at least did something with it), but it's not new either.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022