Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Default R 101 Grande Finale (R Type) vs Evangelion

Evangelion is progressing as normal, however the moment each Angel attack begins, right before Evas are deployed, three Grande Finale R series craft appear to fight whatever Angel. The R-101 pilots are operating at the skill level that assumes they could beat a given R Type game without dying. They get to pick the loadouts for their craft before each fight, using information that was available to Nerv at the time of Eva deployment in each case. They start with fully upgraded force units. If, for some reason, a Force Unit enters an "active" state (i.e. oh god oh god my force unit remembered that it's a monster), as long as at least one craft survives the Angel fight, we will assume that they're able to put it down. Pilots and craft are replaced after each fight. We'll be considering things like instruction manual background and loading screen info as valid for feats.

I'll give a little information on R series craft, of which the Grande Finale is supposed to be in all respects the last best hope for ending the Bydo war (lol):

Before the Bydo, early R series craft were made for exploration and equipped with low output wave cannons for smashing asteroids. While this could represent a pretty large range of rock sizes, since uncharged wave cannons in-game can smash asteroids that are at least larger than an R series craft, I'd like to think it at least applies to any of the sub-1km ones, as there's still quite a few over that size. Anything after, I think the R6 (which is still well before the actual R Type games) had a high output wave cannon, and R-101s have access to some that are truly devastating in-game by comparison to even those early ones. The first R-Series sized high output wave cannons were described as having 5.7 times the output of a low output wave cannon. While we don't really know precisely what a wave cannon is, we do know that it's pretty much the sole conventional weapon that can harm a waveform existence like the Bydo. We also know that wave cannons go to some pretty wild places, like focusing the pilot's will and firing their memories and nightmares at things, literally turning combat stress into power. That one might represent a pilot willpower feat, since we're told it places enormous stress on their mind, and they have to be able to fire it pretty constantly. For another, we're told that the Photon Belt Wave Cannon has an effective range of 380 000 km, though we're told they need support to actually target anything at those ranges (the game says radar support, but uh... radar don't go that far). The SEXY wave cannon shoots... bydo... bio-organic material... called J-Zyme. *Cough* Significant though, due to the way Bydo act in general. There's barrier wave cannons too, which have been shown in cutscenes to intercept other wave cannon shots.

All R Series craft are capable in atmosphere and in zero G. We've seen even R-9 Arrowheads in cutscenes manoeuvring at ground level through cities, weaving through buildings, literally skimming the streets, so they're very agile. While we don't know precise top speeds, we do know that they undergo acceleration such that the early ones couldn't have human bodies in them, and that the best they could do was protect an amputated brain wired into an R-9A. That would imply at least 9gs in acceleration, presumably more, but that's pretty fast already. They can make it into space on their own, and they're able to cruise fast enough to keep pace with Bydo Armadas. The first Bydo Armada, at sublight, was clocked in at .08C on its approach. While they're generally fragile, we've seen cutscenes of them getting knocked against buildings and being none the worse for wear. They also have to be capable of carrying on the fight in a dimension where physics is messed up.

Force Units are hard to explain without explaining the whole series. They're super compact, largely inert, Bydo embryos that can operate independent of a craft, or attached to it (though the craft needs to be intact at all). The Bydo have been described in other threads. Think like the X from Metroid, and also the metroids from Metroid, but way worse in both cases and also psychic.
    Do we think R Series armaments can deal with an AT field? Can they handle the more esoteric angels? Which ones can they beat, if any?
    Last edited by BitVyper; 07-01-2022 at 05:44 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands