Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Spider-Man: The Animated Series Revival Chances Addressed By Showrunner

The latest DC Animated Universe movie arrives on Digital and Blu-ray on July 26, and follows recently discharged Marine John Stewart as he becomes Earth's newest Green Lantern and is forced into the midst of a galactic war alongside unexpected allies like Green Arrow and Hawkgirl.

We're sure that many of you will have grown up watching Spider-Man: The Animated Series, and there's no denying that the show put the wall-crawler on the map in a big way in the '90s. The comic book industry was struggling at the time, but stores were full of toys based on the hit series, and for many fans, this is how they first encountered Peter Parker's amazing world.

Earlier this week, we caught up with John to discuss co-writing Green Lantern: Beware My Power alongside Ernie Altbacker (Injustice). Needless to say, we had to take the opportunity to ask for his thoughts on the legacy of the show he served as Head Writer and producer on across the course of its five seasons.

"Well, it feels spectacular," he said of the love Spider-Man: The Animated Series continues to receive. "I am, right at this moment, very happy to be me [Laughs]. I do get wonderful feedback from fans. Just about every other day I get an email or a letter out of the blue from someone saying about what the series meant to them. I always hoped the show would have longevity and an impact down the line, and that people would appreciate the kind of drama we brought. It was threading that needle of appealing to fans, older people, and introducing Spider-Man to a new generation of kids who were totally unfamiliar with him."

"I think we did a really good job on that series doing that and working on this Green Lantern movie is the first time I’ve felt a similar feeling. I feel like this movie is going to resonate with fans and have real longevity, and I hope it stacks up as one of the better DC Animated Universe movies," John continued. "The same thrill I get watching one of the really good episodes of Spider-Man is the thrill I’ve gotten each time watching this one. I’ve watched it three times now. I really love it."

As we're sure you'll be aware, X-Men: The Animated Series is being revived by Marvel Studios for Disney+ as X-Men '97. This has led to many fans wondering if other shows from that era could follow suit, but the prolific writer doesn't seem overly convinced there are any plans to head down that route with Spider-Man: The Animated Series.

"I think, right now, they’re doing an updated Spider-Man. They’ve done a number of shows since mine and they’re doing another right now," he explained, likely referring to Spider-Man: Freshman Year. "I don’t think that the politics of the situation will allow for the 90s Spider-Man series to be revived. If they did revive it, I don’t know if I’d get to be involved."

"I was in a very good position because I was really able to have a lot of creative control over that show after episode 13 or 14. I don’t know if I’d ever have that situation again, so it would really make it a different kind of thing. Strangely enough, the kind of creative freedom I would like to have is the kind of creative freedom Ernie and I had on this Green Lantern film. I might point out that myself, Ernie, and Jim Krieg are all alumni of Spider-Man: The Animated Series. Jim and Ernie were on staff, so we really had a similar kind of situation here."

"I don’t know if I’d get that on a Spider-Man revival given it’s now a property that’s owned by two studios and there’s a lot of politics involved," John concluded. "But hey, if someone wants to call me and say, ‘Hey, we’re gonna do more episodes and we’re going to leave you alone,’ I’d be there in a heartbeat."

We'd love to see more of this Spider-Man, and while it does seem unlikely that the show will return, there's always a chance Christopher Daniel Barnes' Peter Parker could swing into something like Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (this show arguably created the concept of the Spider-Verse during its later seasons).
    https://comicbookmovie.com/spider-ma...4578#gs.4kh7vp

Still keeping us waiting for the resolution to that cliffhanger...and still waiting for a really good Spider-Man cartoon after Spectacular.

I would like to hear Christopher Daniel Barnes again.

If they showed TAS Peter having found MJ in ATSV that'd be comfy.

Astonishing Member

I would prefer Spectacular coming back, but I wouldn't mind a revival of this. I would take a TAS revival over Freshman Year.

Also, we might see this version in either Across/Beyond The Spider-Verse or X-Men '97.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-02-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

I will keep the hope just in case.

i do want an explanation on the life the real MJ had and see her struggle coming back to New York only to find out water MJ married Peter
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i do want an explanation on the life the real MJ had and see her struggle coming back to New York only to find out water MJ married Peter
    Well, I think that Beyonder and Madame Web could fix that by giving the real MJ the memories of her clone, essentially giving her the same experiences. I think Beyonder and Madame Web own this to Spidey after he fought Hell itself to save reality; including their lives.

Spectacular Member

No. This rarely improves a series. Write a new series and leave the old one in the past.

I don’t have faith that any beloved series can be revived and not be ruined in this time of creative bankruptcy. The actors who voiced Kingpin, JJJ, Doc Ock, Aunt May, and Madame Web are also all deceased and and it would feel weird replacing them in the TAS canon.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don’t have faith that any beloved series can be revived and not be ruined in this time of creative bankruptcy. The actors who voiced Kingpin, JJJ, Doc Ock, Aunt May, and Madame Web are also all deceased and and it would feel weird replacing them in the TAS canon.
    They're gonna do X-Men without Scott's voice actor so they probably don't care lol.

BANNED

I never understood why they choose to revive X-Men which had a pretty definitive ending and not Spider-Man.
    In fact TAS, Spec and that weird series taking place on Counter Earth all ended with a cliffhanger and their plots need to close.

Astonishing Member

X-Men was at one point the most viewed show on Disney+. That was the main reason they brought it back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I never understood why they choose to revive X-Men which had a pretty definitive ending and not Spider-Man.
    In fact TAS, Spec and that weird series taking place on Counter Earth all ended with a cliffhanger and their plots need to close.
    That's true. We didn't get a Spider-Man series with 'proper' closure until Ultimate Spider-Man and recently Marvel's Spider-Man.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Disney is in a hurry to make X-Men work now that they have full control of the property.

Disney has attempted 3 animated Spidey projects at this point.
    "Cable was right!"

It seems like a no-brainer to at least have a movie tying things up.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets