Default The Thing gains the powers of The Thing

Instead of becoming a big rock lump, Ben Grimm is granted the power of John Carpenter's Thing by those cosmic rays. He can sprout tentacles and jaws and all that gross shapeshifting, and he can assimilate people, effectively cloning his mind while creating new bodies for himself in the image of those he assimilates. As with canon Thing, Reed is incapable of curing him. Ben's personality is completely unchanged by gaining these powers.

How does the FF's history change with this version of The Thing?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Can he just stay looking like human Ben Grimm forever now? If so I think he does that. He's not going to go kill a bunch of people to build up an army and the power set otherwise seems useless on the scale the FF play on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Can he just stay looking like human Ben Grimm forever now? If so I think he does that. He's not going to go kill a bunch of people to build up an army and the power set otherwise seems useless on the scale the FF play on.
    Yeah this ends up being a huge set back for the FF. General shapeshifting is useful but the FF are hurting without their primary muscle and as Captain Morgan said, there's no way Ben would end up really exploiting his power to create an army, even assuming that the infection could actually work against some of the FF's enemies.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

To be as fair as one might, the lack of muscle might hurt early on, but once Sue learns that she's a badass, it's not like even the strongest iteration of Ben can do anything she couldn't do first with a thought.

That said, the CarpenterThing power set is much less useful to a super hero and definitely for the FF than big rocky dude's power set is.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

This doesn’t seem like much. Maybe reed Richards would get a side project relating to this for like an hour before discarding it
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

If he FEELS like a monster he also might just kill himself. There are versions of Thing who have tried and only failed because of his durability.

While Ben definitely wouldn't use these powers against humans and other sapient beings, he might employ them against the Mole Man's monsters to stop their rampage when they first encounter the villain. Which would allow him to serve as muscle for the team.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    While Ben definitely wouldn't use these powers against humans and other sapient beings, he might employ them against the Mole Man's monsters to stop their rampage when they first encounter the villain. Which would allow him to serve as muscle for the team.
    Yeah, that occurred to me, but even absorbing non-sentient creatures feels rather grim for Mr. Grimm.