Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default How about : a permanent anti-gun DCU?

Since DC is doing a lot of pride and minority characters in the name of social justice why not major continuity changing storylines that phase guns out of American society?

The stories could involve Bruce Wayne, Oliver and other characters of influence lobbying and succeeding to change gun laws and THAT part of the constitution.

They could run up against various forms of opposition, both legal and illegal.

New and Old characters could show up. Eg Prez as a antigun crusader, supernatural stories involving the ghosts of those who wrote the constitution etc. A new Milestone hero who deals with gun crimes involving minority groups and uses non lethal weapons to fight crime etc.

Your ideas and views on this?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Since DC is doing a lot of pride and minority characters in the name of social justice why not major continuity changing storylines that phase guns out of American society?

The stories could involve Bruce Wayne, Oliver and other characters of influence lobbying and succeeding to change gun laws and THAT part of the constitution.

New and Old characters could show up. Eg Prez as a antigun crusader, supernatural stories involving the ghosts of those who wrote the constitution etc. A new Milestone hero who deals with gun crimes involving minority groups and uses non lethal weapons to fight crime etc.

I like the idea, but I can imagine the outrage from so called 'fans'.

I like guns. I don't see why DC would do anything like that. Especially Batman and Green Arrow repealing the 2A?

I could see more discussions of guns and gun ownership popping up around the DCU being worthwhile. Batman is really the only DC superhero with a clear stance on the issue anyway.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I don't think superheroes should be influencing laws that impact people in the real world. But by all means, create fictional laws that superheroes deal with.

Honestly, wouldn't mind if some superheroes took a harder stance on gun control. I feel like they have toned down Batman's 'anti-gun' stance too much while at the same time making him too violent in adaptations. Would love to see more panels of his destroying guns like he did in TDK Returns and some 90's comics or him actually taking away the firearm of a trigger happy cop who tried to shoot him to teach her a lesson. Have him mention than the guns on his vehicles aren't meant to be used on people (Bats' gear should be more like the Swat Kats anyway).

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Mighty Member

Lots of potential for stories here.

Riddler could pull off some surprising antigun robberies of gun stores and manufacturers. He reveals that while he is no Saint he is not a monster who looks the other way while mass shootings continue...

A Tom Taylor story about the success of Australian gun laws.

Speeding bullets. Supes goes Superman IV on us gun laws

The whole epic could be kicked off by bats encountering a child who has lost both parents to guns, only to discover other kids suffering the same fate that evening.

Bart vs a mass shooter at his old school and the red state reaction afterwards. Jefferson pierce dealing with the shooting of ONE child. Deadshot, Deathstroke etc demoted to villain not antihero status

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What's the point? Didn't comics already try this with drugs? Did that work?
    If America has a gun control problem, they don't need comic books to fix it.
    "Cable was right!"

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

One of these is not like the others. What does guns have anything to do with the lgbt and minorities?

Mighty Member

Wonder woman's new mission of peace

Wild dog militias resisting change

Penguin running guns

Kid eternity summoning JFK, MLK, Harvey milk, John Lennon etc.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    One of these is not like the others. What does guns have anything to do with the lgbt and minorities?
    It's still a social justice issue so it's very much just like the others.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I like guns. I don't see why DC would do anything like that. Especially Batman and Green Arrow repealing the 2A?

I could see more discussions of guns and gun ownership popping up around the DCU being worthwhile. Batman is really the only DC superhero with a clear stance on the issue anyway.
    You don't need to repeal the 2nd amendment to have sensible gun laws.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not gonna happen because DC stories usually reflective or real life, but maybe Elseworld

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I like the idea, but I can imagine the outrage from so called 'fans'.
    DC and Marvel have done Earth-Nazi Won
    They'll live

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post

Jon Kent will definitely join

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    They got shot.
    Pulse.

I imagine eventually a DC/Marvel will try to phase out their use of guns in their stories, or at least only have villains use guns, but we aren't there yet. The push for minority/pride stuff is front and center at the moment, and the anti-gun stuff is still hanging further in the background for some of the more liberal creators I think, but over time I imagine it will get pushed to the forefront. That is how these things go. I can see some creators eventually taking some stance where they say "I won't be showing any guns in my work as I feel it negatively contributes to the proliferation gun culture" or something. I just wouldn't be shocked by this.

Incredible Member

The problem I have with anti gun stories in superhero coimcs is that similar arguments can be used to support superhero registration( something comics themselves tend to be against).So the characters end up looking like hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's still a social justice issue so it's very much just like the others.
    If you just keep mixing up all the issues into one big social crusade in the end the message loses all meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You don't need to repeal the 2nd amendment to have sensible gun laws.
    Obviously. I was directly referencing the OP.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them