Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The same supporting casts fans keep calling to be ignored or killed off anytime the story focuses on something other than fighting villains? Just look at the reaction to the so called melodrama of the second season in the Superman & Lois thread.
    There definitely is fan support for dropping supporting casts entirely or every single character in the comics (or TV show) having either some powers or be "best fighter in this city" or "tech genius" or whatever else that makes him different to regular people. And the same for crime, if next big Batman story was about stopping a bank robbery then many fans would complain about it not being "big enough".

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    There definitely is fan support for dropping supporting casts entirely or every single character in the comics (or TV show) having either some powers or be "best fighter in this city" or "tech genius" or whatever else that makes him different to regular people. And the same for crime, if next big Batman story was about stopping a bank robbery then many fans would complain about it not being "big enough".
    Just for that, I want Bats to be investigating a crime where someone literally stole candy from a baby. Partly to piss those people off, partly because it would be a hell of a different story than the usual doom, gloom, and morbid deaths that tend to occupy his stories.

Guns themselves aren't a conservative or liberal thing, there are many liberal gun owners. The debate is more about the access and control of guns. A story about that would be a better approach.

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    Guns themselves aren't a conservative or liberal thing, there are many liberal gun owners. The debate is more about the access and control of guns. A story about that would be a better approach.
    I have plenty of liberal and conservative friends that have no intention of giving up their guns. Legal I might add. I only own two shot guns. I used to hunt. Haven’t fired either one in over twenty years. I’m all for common sense gun laws. I’m not so sure it will make that big of an impact though. What people are suggesting here reminds me of the comics code. Is there any difference in Iron Man’s repulsor rays or a gun firing a bullet? What about extreme left liberal Hollywood? Will they give up their guns in their movies? The answer to that question is no. Violence in movies sells. Comic books will have zero impact. I personally will not read a story based on anti-guns and gun laws. I want a good story with a plot that isn’t overtly political. Superheroes all have weapons one way or another. Comic books are violent. Anywhere from subtler to extreme violence. Have been since their inception. That’s what sparked the comics code in the first place. That ruined companies. Do we really want to go there again?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Desperation is the root of most crimes and superhero comics are just now contending with the notion.

Affordable housing, better and more robust social safety nets, better education, better healthcare, smaller wealth gaps, all go a long way towards preventing crime. Would there still be people who are a threat to others and who do bad things despite all of it this, yes, but overall the net positives outweigh the bad.

Flash stopping bank robberies is cool. Flash making sure the person ends up in a position where they never have to resort to committing crimes in the first place is even cooler.
    Kind of hard to make that into an interesting story tho, nevermind an action-packed story, never mind a perpetually forever ongoing story (he prevents the causes that turn people to crime...and then nothing else, because there's no crime anymore).

I agree that there should be some of this, but amongst all the alien invasions and multiversal crises, the occasional "punch a criminal in the face" story wouldn't be out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
    I think that type of censorship just makes our entertainment dumber, which I personally don't think helps us as a people in the long run.

I'm a big fan of many Japanese anime OVA's of the 1980s and 90s, and when I look at the quality and breadth of content the Japanese were putting out in animation vs. what we were typically doing in America, it's almost embarrassing. I think (know) a lot of that is due to (some) Americans' love of censoring the crap out of things. Our comics got censored. Our video games got censored. Our cartoons got censored. And when you take an informed look at the various situations, especially in hindsight, you can clearly see how wrongheaded a lot of that was. It seemed like a bunch of people who didn't really know what they were talking about, and who couldn't be bothered to take an honest and unbiased look at the material, jumping to conclusions and making big decisions based on that. If someone was going to...I don't know...perform violence against women, they were probably going to do that regardless of whether they played "Night Trap" on the Sega CD or not, as there would clearly be something wrong with them regardless of their exposure to Night Trap.

So, no, I really don't agree with that. Besides, it's hokey. We're talking about comics where a bunch of people are fighting and there are all kinds of criminals and sometimes wars and stuff...and there are no guns!? I mean, c'mon. That's just going to make your content look stupid, which won't help anything.
    This reminds me of some cartoons I watched in the 90s where they had laser or beam guns or whatever because guns with bullets couldn't get past the censors, and it felt so lame then. Then you had cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series use guns w/ bullets and thinking that made it so much cooler and more "believable" (ridiculous because superheroes are impossible, but hey that's the world of a small kid yo) or when Gargoyles had both, and the fact that normal guns existing actually made the laser/beam guns feel like an actual step up for the criminals.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    This reminds me of some cartoons I watched in the 90s where they had laser or beam guns or whatever because guns with bullets couldn't get past the censors, and it felt so lame then. Then you had cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series use guns w/ bullets and thinking that made it so much cooler and more "believable" (ridiculous because superheroes are impossible, but hey that's the world of a small kid yo) or when Gargoyles had both, and the fact that normal guns existing actually made the laser/beam guns feel like an actual step up for the criminals.
    Censorship is the first thing incompetent institutions fall back on when they don’t want to deal with the actual underlying problem.

I have zero interest in anything like this and honestly the idea makes me cringe. I get enough politics in my every day life. I don’t want it in comics. I find it especially silly that the idea is to solve a real world problem in a comic. The very idea takes me out of the story. It’s one of the reasons I find Jon Kent’s Superman comic to be unreadable. It’s like an ongoing after school special. I’m a liberal guy and it annoys the **** out of me.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!