Default My theory In “apocalypse the twelve” storyline

My theory
    In “apocalypse the twelve” storyline

Apocalypse was never truly trying to ascend.
    It was never about apocalypse’s ascension
    It was about Scott summers ascension as leader of mutantkind

Apocalypse knew what was going to happen he needed to merge with cyclops to leave a part of himself with him as a way of crowning Scott summers “cyclops” as the new leader of Mutants kind

Look at all the mutants surrounding apocalypse and cyclops
    From magneto to Jean grey, from leaders of mutantkind and the some of the most powerful.

Apocalypse knew Of cyclops since the moment he merged with cables techno organic virus hundreds and hundreds of years ago.
    And He met cyclops again in the time traveling adventures of further adventures of cyclops in Phoenix.

The techno organic virus apocalypse has is from cable and because cable is cyclops‘s son The techno organic virus has access to cyclops DNA. Hence Apocalypse has summer dna

FBCFE917-CFD9-45F1-8182-AA45213BF107.jpg

0A381C26-61B6-4296-8077-263E491310C7.jpg

0A381C26-61B6-4296-8077-263E491310C7.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member

Or it was just a pretty mediocre storyline and we could pretend it never happend in the hope that eventualy a writer will try to revive the "The Twelve" concept and create a better story out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Or it was just a pretty mediocre storyline and we could pretend it never happend in the hope that eventualy a writer will try to revive the "The Twelve" concept and create a better story out of it?
    Damn that story was bad like bad bad. But hey it introduced the alpha mutant concept.

Astonishing Member

Well the thing is the Twelve storyline we eventually got was not remotely in line with the Twelve storyline that was originally alluded to and hyped for years.....like I like a lot of Alan Davis' work, but that was just...not it. And it really had nothing to do with all the seeds Claremont and Simonson planted with it, and didn't even end up including the same mutants. Davis basically took the mention of a prophecy about twelve important mutants and turned it into a rumor Apocalypse started just to get twelve particular mutants he needed for some plan of his in the right place at the right time.....even though Davis also was the one that tied Destiny into the thick of things there, saying that she had her own prophecies about the Twelve, like....the Twelve storyline we got was just messy, convoluted, and not remotely the pay-off wanted by most anyone who'd been curious about the teases of the Twelve for over a decade at that point. I mean, IMO at least, lol.

Now that Destiny's back, tbh the Twelve storyline IS one I wouldn't mind being revisited, like that there actually is a whole other prophecy about a group of Twelve mutants and the other Twelve storyline was just Apocalypse hijacking THAT for his own purposes. *Shrugs* But that whole thing is such a mess at this point, I wouldn't exactly be upset if it never got mentioned again.

Davis' version of the Twelve, in which they were all powerful mutants Apocalypse created the Twelve prophecy about, in order to maneuver them into a position where he could use their powers to ascend to godhood or whatever, included: Scott, Jean, Cable, Magneto, Polaris, Bishop, Mikhail Rasputin, the Living Monolith, Xavier, Sunfire, Iceman and Storm, with Nate Grey intended as Apocalypse's new host body.

But like, originally the Twelve storyline alluded to twelve future mutant leaders, with Master Mold programmed with their identities by the time-traveling Tanya Trask and attempting to assassinate them, and instead of the Twelve we got in Davis' story, the ORIGINAL lineup of the Twelve....specifically identified as such by Master Mold.....included Franklin Richards, Apocalypse himself, Storm, Cyclops, Xavier, Jean, Dani Moonstar, Cannonball, and Betsy Braddock. Later, in an X-Factor issue by Simonson, Iceman faced off with Apocalypse solo, and Apocalypse referred to Bobby as a member of the fabled Twelve, with his name also coming up in a list pulled from Master Mold's files.

And then, back before Davis' version of the Twelve storyline, building on the seeds originally planted by Claremont and Simonson, there was another issue in which Apocalypse and Cable faced off, and Apocalypse listed the Twelve as being himself, all five of the original X-Men, Xavier, Storm, Cannonball....and also Cable.

But no matter how you look at it, the Twelve storyline resolution we got just flat out doesn't make sense....because if Apocalypse created the whole thing in order to get HIS version of the Twelve (the ones from Davis' story), into position for some master scheme of his....why would he have ever listed Beast and Warren as members of the Twelve to Cable? They never served any purpose in his big plan according to Davis, and they were never listed as members of the Twelve by Master Mold, like Cannonball was....so there's no reason why Apocalypse would have ever pointed attention to them as members of the Twelve when they served no purpose in his own plan, and there was nobody else pointing at them as members of the Twelve either.

So we never actually got a story about the twelve future leaders of mutantkind and don't even know for sure who all they were supposed to be. We can safely assume the original line-up for sure included Scott, Jean, Xavier, Apocalypse, Franklin Richards, Dani, Cannonball, Storm, Iceman, and Betsy - with these names not coming from Apocalypse himself, but rather from Master Mold and Tanya Trask, though Apocalypse also ratified most of these names as being members of the Twelve in every story up until Davis' version. The only ones never explicitly mentioned by Apocalypse AS WELL as Master Mold, were Betsy and Dani.

But that's only ten of twelve names, and we got three other names for the two remaining slots, (Hank, Warren and Cable) with all three of these names coming ONLY from Apocalypse, with no other source of confirmation....so likely only two of them were actually intended as original members of the Twelve.

Either way though, the Davis lineup with Shiro, Bishop, Mikhail, Ahmet, Lorna, Magneto, etc, came out of left field with NO hints towards most of that lineup anywhere in previous mentions of the Twelve, while his lineup also showed no trace of Franklin, Sam, Betsy or Dani, despite them being definitively hyped as members of the Twelve in all previous stories, thus making it additionally odd that their names would be so prevalent in those stories if Apocalypse were the originator of all rumors about the Twelve, since....they had nothing to do with his plans according to Davis.

*Shrugs* Anyway, messy story is messy, and obviously Davis decided to just do his own thing based on some vague seeds planted years earlier, but it would've been nice to know what the plans for the original lineup of the Twelve actually were, with that story as it was first envisioned.

So... Theoretically

If there was a universe ending threat
    And Krakoa needed another big gun

The could clone Scott, Jean, Cable, Magneto, Polaris, Bishop, Mikhail Rasputin, the Living Monolith, Xavier, Sunfire, Iceman and Storm, put them in the machine, channel all their powers into Apocalypse, then have him possess a cloned body of Nate grey.

Ofcourse, it's incredibly unethical, but we have the technology. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    So... Theoretically

If there was a universe ending threat
    And Krakoa needed another big gun

The could clone Scott, Jean, Cable, Magneto, Polaris, Bishop, Mikhail Rasputin, the Living Monolith, Xavier, Sunfire, Iceman and Storm, put them in the machine, channel all their powers into Apocalypse, then have him possess a cloned body of Nate grey.

Ofcourse, it's incredibly unethical, but we have the technology. Just saying
    Interesting you should say this, but I have this sneaking suspicion that the X-men will find themselves outmatched by the Eternals and their giant kaijus; thus Cable, who will be killed on Mars by Uranos, has some backdoor way to resurrect himself (possibly with Hope’s help) and goes to Amenth to enlist the help of Apocalypse and his family along with the Amenthi hordes to turn the tide. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, but that would be pretty rad IMO.

I also wouldn’t mind someone in the modern era trying to take a crack at retconning The Twelve in some way that makes it make sense… or at least explains it better such as gambitxremy does above.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Man, the original Twelve storyline idea had so much potential. Thanks for laying it out, BobbysWorld. I remember the hints they were giving us back then clearly.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Tha tmakes it sound like Davis change dthe concept/purpose of the Twelve completely

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    those little texts are so uninspired...

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I dunno, when compared to stuff like "X of Swords"... the Twelve storyline don't seem so bad.