Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

I was able to read the book yesterday, and I'm not sure what kind of direction DC is going with the character. Punchline has lacked any definable opposition in the book, minus the crossover with Catwoman. I still get the impression that the title is used as extra page space for that book rather than being able to stand on it's own two feet.

I did like the throwback to Harper's definable time in Batman Eternal when she fought Mad Hatter, and I can't wait to get ahold of that variant cover with her on it.

I hope whatever comes next for Alexis and Harper is bit more even for both characters, instead of tilting to Punchline's favour every time. Harper's perspective and involvement in the Punchline One-Shot was what I found make it compelling.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    I was able to read the book yesterday, and I'm not sure what kind of direction DC is going with the character. Punchline has lacked any definable opposition in the book, minus the crossover with Catwoman. I still get the impression that the title is used as extra page space for that book rather than being able to stand on it's own two feet.

I did like the throwback to Harper's definable time in Batman Eternal when she fought Mad Hatter, and I can't wait to get ahold of that variant cover with her on it.

I hope whatever comes next for Alexis and Harper is bit more even for both characters, instead of tilting to Punchline's favour every time. Harper's perspective and involvement in the Punchline One-Shot was what I found make it compelling.
    Honestly, I think this would've benefitted better if this mini was just a straight-up Punchline vs. Bluebird mini. Alexis maneuvering to rule the Gotham underworld, and Bluebird right on her tail to stop her plans. Then, the added complication of Harper's credibility being ruined due to the events of the Joker backups and having to navigate through that.

Extraordinary Member

Punchline: The Gotham Game #6 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writers: Tini Howard & Blake Howard
    Artist: Gleb Melnikov

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

Is Jokers' new look courtesy of his ongoing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

Certainly looks like Bluff is trying to make himself the leader after watching "Punchline's demise". I get the feeling that Black Mask already has a way to deal with the ACES nanotechnology, or that Nightwing and Bluebird will take deactivate it after finding 1-0, leading to Bluff being put into a bad situation.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Punchline really has no opposition and the story has done nothing to boost Harper or give one over on her.

Essentially what everyone was worried about. Till Punchline actually has some opposition or is allowed to actually fail, come up short, or make a mistake, there's nothing to be invested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Punchline really has no opposition and the story has done nothing to boost Harper or give one over on her.

Essentially what everyone was worried about. Till Punchline actually has some opposition or is allowed to actually fail, come up short, or make a mistake, there's nothing to be invested in.
    Let’s hope whatever sequel we get down the line, that it focuses more on the rivalry between Harper and Alexis. What made the Punchline One-Shot good to me was that Alexis was, for all purposes, a boogeyman. We as the audience felt the weight of her influence and how it shaped the narrative, even when she wasn’t on the page. Which is why it confuses me that Tynion did it again in The Joker with Gordon and Jokee, but wrote a narrative that was more Alexis-focused in the Punchline backups.

The bane of them trying to push a new character.

Bluebird

in theory, pitting Punchline versus Bluebird is a no-brainer. But, it's been so one-sided in how they've presented this rivalry that it ends up being wasted potential.

Extraordinary Member

Punchline: The Gotham Game #6 Preview (Lettered)

Everything's falling apart but hey...Punchline fanservice! I mean, that's like half of why people like her .

Bluebird

Hoping we get a good idea of where Bluebird shows up next.

Final issue felt a bit rushed to me, which was to be expected. I guess it continues in Catwoman.

The art was great, but I don't feel like anything was accomplished in this series other than Punchline leading the Royal Flush Gang.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    The art was great, but I don't feel like anything was accomplished in this series other than Punchline leading the Royal Flush Gang.
    So then nothing was accomplished.