Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    The art was great, but I don't feel like anything was accomplished in this series other than Punchline leading the Royal Flush Gang.
    Book knows it's audience enough to have a decent portion of the opening pages involve Punchline in nothing but her underwear .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Book knows it's audience enough to have a decent portion of the opening pages involve Punchline in nothing but her underwear .
    And God bless them for it

The art was great, but I don't feel like anything was accomplished in this series other than Punchline leading the Royal Flush Gang.
    There were parts of the story where I was bothered that no background was drawn in, just dialogue or action in a white void. This is an odd situation the creative team has created, as Tynion and Johns did have the active King and Queen of Diamonds (Bluff's parents) in the Punchline backups. So there are at least seven other people in Gotham's Royal Flush Gang who could oppose Punchline as leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    So then nothing was accomplished.
    Frankly it felt like the story was all over the place, and that the XO addicts were a last-minute attempt to make the story cohesive. I know I'm being biased and it's hard to see the perspective of the writers, but it's as if DC wanted to shift direction with Punchline and her cast with this new book, and create a stronger story for Catwoman. With the events of the last pages, it certainly feels like the Row siblings (and Harper's investigation into Punchline) is being put on the shelf.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Extraordinary Member

The series finished off with a good issue. It felt like we finally got a lot of payoff for things that just seemed to be happening for no reason. The story has spent a lot of time on things that do not necessarily contribute to a main plot (which if we take to be get some people hooked on XO is pretty weak) which I would like to see continued on in a book dedicated to Punchline. I am not sure I want to follow it to another book though.

Fantastic Member

I agree. It felt incomplete as a story to me. I would be more disappointed if I bought this as a graphic novel because there wasn't much of an end to this arc. I don't see why this just couldn't have been in the Catwoman series. I do like the King and Queen of the Royal Flush Gang though and hopefully they'll stick around.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    I agree. It felt incomplete as a story to me. I would be more disappointed if I bought this as a graphic novel because there wasn't much of an end to this arc. I don't see why this just couldn't have been in the Catwoman series. I do like the King and Queen of the Royal Flush Gang though and hopefully they'll stick around.
    it just felt like an extended advertisement for Catwoman, with nothing of note really happening.

Incredible Member

The series certainly could have done with at least one less issue as there didn’t appear to be enough story for the actually run. In fact you could probably lose two issues without impacting the story at all. Overall vaguely disappointing if they were trying to showcase the character of Punchline.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    The series certainly could have done with at least one less issue as there didn’t appear to be enough story for the actually run. In fact you could probably lose two issues without impacting the story at all. Overall vaguely disappointing if they were trying to showcase the character of Punchline.
    Really, if they had just focused on the Punchline/Bluebird cat and mouse game and not add in all the Catwoman stuff, it would’ve been more of a focused story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Really, if they had just focused on the Punchline/Bluebird cat and mouse game and not add in all the Catwoman stuff, it would’ve been more of a focused story.
    Wonder if the addition of the Catwoman stuff was an editorial directive.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Wonder if the addition of the Catwoman stuff was an editorial directive.
    Well, Tini Howard is writing both so that might be on her.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Tini Howard is writing both so that might be on her.
    which probably meant she wanted to prioritize the Catwoman plot over the established Punchline vs. Bluebird conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    which probably meant she wanted to prioritize the Catwoman plot over the established Punchline vs. Bluebird conflict.
    Well, more name recognition if nothing else...