Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Impact of the live action movie

I'm curious how big of Patty and Gal movie do you think had on Wonder Woman has a whole and do you feel the movie did any good for her in the comics

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious how big of Patty and Gal movie do you think had on Wonder Woman has a whole and do you feel the movie did any good for her in the comics
    No. DCEU WW has been a very underwhelming take on the character. They have her as a glorified spider man level character, her lore so far is still very badly represented. What they did with Cheetah is just terrible.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The only impact the movie had was on the costume which was largely already due to the BvS film. And WW getting an accent.

It's definitely why we've been getting more Wonder Woman content in the past few years.

Charlie, Chief, and Sameer also popped up in the Steve Trevor special for other stuff from the movie brought in.

WW was stated to have an accent a couple of times pre-movie, though it's definitely the movie why it's now popping up in animation now.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Costume is the biggest impact, I think going forward the Rebirth/DCEU outfit will be her baseline costume from now on. The accent as others have mentioned seems to be more prevalent (although by no means always given there have been WW who don’t have it). Steve has been cemented as her “Lois” and I think we will see him show up in everything from now on. Otherwise it hasn’t impacted the character much surprisingly. Superman differs from Batman and WW in that his first big live action film changed everything, mainly because there was a major reboot not long after that allowed for DC to fold in a lot of the film take into the comic character. If DC were to reboot now for example I’m sure they would have Diana debut with the JSA in WWII in synergy with the movie.

The video game will be the first big opportunity to see what others view as required for the character. Will Diana be 100+ years old? Will Steve and Etta be there? We’ll see soon enough.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I think the movie had been more impactful than people are giving it credit for.

WB Multivesus - Quotes lines from both movies. Themyscira was one of the first settings shown in the reveal of the game. Themysicira does not have to be explained to the audience.

DCAMU - Completely overhauled Diana's personality to be more in line with the live-action film. Pre-Bloodlines, Diana is an unnecessarily violent and uncouth beast. After, she's more introspective, has a more sly and witty sense of humor, Trevor is back in her life and her villains and history are honored. For most of the movie, there's no sword and shield.

The video game - even from the little we saw in the teaser, it's obviously taking some cues from the movie.

Comics - we've seen her bracelet smash EPM blast maneuver a few times in the comics now.

I actually think it's helped to get people away from the Diana: Warrior Princess personality so many people wrote Diana with. One of her core aspects in the first film was her belief in humanity, and that seems to be how people are starting to understand Diana as a character. I know a lot of people dread Dead Earth, but one of the core themes was teaching Diana to believe in humanity again.

I actually think the film did a lot to reposition the audience as to what Diana's core tenets are. Before, I think a lot of people would look at something like Injustice, N52 or the DCAMU pre-Bloodlines, and say that's Diana's personality.

Now both films firmly establish that Diana is not a bloodthirsty warrior. There's no way anyone can look at either film and compare her personality and philosophy to Xena. I think that's highly important as now people at least have a "My Diana" to envision.

As far as comics go, I do think the films showed that Diana can be a multimedia franchise all by herself. Her merchandise was in the top-ten that year, Wonder Woman Year One was a high-selling trade that year, and the first Wonder Woman is still referenced in pop culture. We seeing more toys and merchandise and Six Flags has even retrofitted some rides to give them a Wonder Woman theme. I think that's why we're seeing so much investment in Nubia, Yara and to a lesser extent Artemis and Hippolyta.

I think the impact of the first movie especially has been monumental. Strong enough that even though most people hated the second film, they are still rooting for the third film to be successful.

Editted to add: I also think it's important that Wonder Woman and Themysicra had a significant moment in the Space Jam II film. Space Jam and Multiversus is WB promoting that franchises, and I do think it's important and a direct result of the films that Wonder Woman and Themyscira are brands that WB want to keep in the public eye.

Themyscira has become Diana's Gotham or Krypton to the general public.
    Last edited by PopQuezy; 07-04-2022 at 05:56 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Themysicira does not have to be explained to the audience...Themyscira has become Diana's Gotham or Krypton to the general public.
    I agree with this. There's a level of coolness that Themyscira has gotten in the eye of the general public that didn't exist before.

Astonishing Member

I think Steve Trevor has definitely been given a higher profile thanks to the movie. He was played so well by Chris Pine it would be a crime if he wasn't.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I think in general the public's perception has shifted from the campy Marston/Kanigher-inspired Lynda Carter version to a Perez-inspired version that draws a lot more heavily from Greek mythology, from her mythos to her casting, costume, and sometimes accent. WW84 sucked for a lot of reasons, but its shift away from her mythology doomed it from the start - it's telling that the one scene that was universally well-received was the race on Themyscira at the beginning. I'll be shocked if that doesn't inform the creative direction of WW3 in a BIG way and reinforce the image change.

I've also noticed that she isn't constantly deconstructed, reconstructed, or sidelined like she used to be. People used to lump her and Superman together as the "boring" superheroes, but outside of comics she's pretty much only second to Batman and co. in terms of coolness factor while writers feel like they have to make Superman evil to make him interesting. Even Queen Maeve, her analog in The Boys, isn't anywhere near as much of a subversion as Homelander or The Deep and she's still a fan favorite. I don't like the reinforcement of the sword/shield as a major part of her iconography or the adjustments to her standard power set (though I blame that more on Zack Snyder than Patty Jenkins), but Patty gets a lot of the most important elements of her characterization right and it's so great that the most iconic WW scene ever is the amazing No Man's Land scene.

And just in general we're getting a lot more stuff. She'd never be getting her own AAA game were it not for the movies, plus it's looking like she'll play a big role in the upcoming Suicide Squad game. We've gotten multiple acclaimed out-of-continuity series in Dead Earth and Historia (which IMO is shaping up to be one of DC's best series ever). And say what you will about ToTA and the quality of current continuity, but we now have a recent event in the backlog, a Nubia miniseries, a whole slew of upcoming one-shots, and an EIC who specifically really loves Wonder Woman.

Only thing missing now is a solid animated series from a team that genuinely loves and understands the character (i.e. not Bruce Timm...).

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I think in general the public's perception has shifted from the campy Marston/Kanigher-inspired Lynda Carter version to a Perez-inspired version that draws a lot more heavily from Greek mythology, from her mythos to her casting, costume, and sometimes accent. WW84 sucked for a lot of reasons, but its shift away from her mythology doomed it from the start - it's telling that the one scene that was universally well-received was the race on Themyscira at the beginning. I'll be shocked if that doesn't inform the creative direction of WW3 in a BIG way and reinforce the image change.

I've also noticed that she isn't constantly deconstructed, reconstructed, or sidelined like she used to be. People used to lump her and Superman together as the "boring" superheroes, but outside of comics she's pretty much only second to Batman and co. in terms of coolness factor while writers feel like they have to make Superman evil to make him interesting. Even Queen Maeve, her analog in The Boys, isn't anywhere near as much of a subversion as Homelander or The Deep and she's still a fan favorite. I don't like the reinforcement of the sword/shield as a major part of her iconography or the adjustments to her standard power set (though I blame that more on Zack Snyder than Patty Jenkins), but Patty gets a lot of the most important elements of her characterization right and it's so great that the most iconic WW scene ever is the amazing No Man's Land scene.

And just in general we're getting a lot more stuff. She'd never be getting her own AAA game were it not for the movies, plus it's looking like she'll play a big role in the upcoming Suicide Squad game. We've gotten multiple acclaimed out-of-continuity series in Dead Earth and Historia (which IMO is shaping up to be one of DC's best series ever). And say what you will about ToTA and the quality of current continuity, but we now have a recent event in the backlog, a Nubia miniseries, a whole slew of upcoming one-shots, and an EIC who specifically really loves Wonder Woman.

Only thing missing now is a solid animated series from a team that genuinely loves and understands the character (i.e. not Bruce Timm...).
    I did wonder about something like this following the animated Injustice movie where she her depiction there was a marginal improvement over the games, and especially Taylor's comics.

I mean still bad that's because of the obligation to be at least somewhat accurate to trash source material.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-05-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's made people appreciate her among the mainstream more. She's now more than just an iconic name and costume, I don't think people even knew Wonder Woman's real name was "Diana" pre-movie, and her background with the Amazons on Themyscira. WW84 was disappointing, but that had to do with the execution more than any dislike of the character.

The movie isn't perfect (due to stuff like having to use the Zeus origin). But if we didn't get that movie at that specific time in DC's attempt to catch up to Marvel, we wouldn't have a WW movie at all. It would have stayed in development hell otherwise because WB wouldn't have the incentive to make it. So I'll take a flawed but overall still very good film adaptation of the character since it got us the video game and stuff like Historia.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I've also noticed that she isn't constantly deconstructed, reconstructed, or sidelined like she used to be. People used to lump her and Superman together as the "boring" superheroes, but outside of comics she's pretty much only second to Batman and co. in terms of coolness factor while writers feel like they have to make Superman evil to make him interesting. Even Queen Maeve, her analog in The Boys, isn't anywhere near as much of a subversion as Homelander or The Deep and she's still a fan favorite.
    I don't think the movie has anything to do with that. The supes in the show are much more humanized compared to their comic depictions and the writers of the show aren't exactly enamored of superheroes to begin with (They've mocked and deconstructed popular characters like Batman, Captain America and even Aquaman's new popularity hasn't changed how The Deep is written). Maeve in the comics was always one of the more sympathetic supes anyway. The show just gives her more to do besides being a depressed drunk and sex addict.

I don't like the reinforcement of the sword/shield as a major part of her iconography or the adjustments to her standard power set (though I blame that more on Zack Snyder than Patty Jenkins),
    Neither of them is to blame. This is clearly what DC/WB want as seen in just about every adaptation Diana appears in. The comics were doing this long before Gadot was cast.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I did wonder about something like this following the animated Injustice movie where she her depiction there was a marginal improvement over the games, and especially Taylor's comics.

I mean still bad that's because of the obligation to be at least somewhat accurate to trash source material.
    Note that the Injustice movie also makes Superman far less evil than he is in the games and comic versions of the story.

Are you serious? The first film has been indeed more impactful that people are giving it credit for. The mere fact that it finally proved to the Hollywood powers that be that there is a large-enough moviegoing audience for Wonder Woman cannot/should not be dismissed. The idiots who run Hollywood finally realized that *gasp* audiences are ready to support comic books' greatest superheroine, and this realization will ensure that Wonder Woman films will be made from now on. Even with the underwhelming reception to WW84, we will be getting WW3 (which RARELY happens for movies that are box office flops), and I guarantee you that there will be eventual reboots and more tries. The video game that so many people wanted is also happening, and I feel that, if the third film is successful (fingers crossed), we will be closer to the long-anticipated Wonder Woman solo animated series that so many WW fans have dreamed of for so long. I am sorry, but people who say that the film (still the DCEU's best reviewed, best loved movie) had zero impact are just living in denial.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Are you serious? The first film has been indeed more impactful that people are giving it credit for. The mere fact that it finally proved to the Hollywood powers that be that there is a large-enough moviegoing audience for Wonder Woman cannot/should not be dismissed. The idiots who run Hollywood finally realized that *gasp* audiences are ready to support comic books' greatest superheroine, and this realization will ensure that Wonder Woman films will be made from now on. Even with the underwhelming reception to WW84, we will be getting WW3 (which RARELY happens for movies that are box office flops), and I guarantee you that there will be eventual reboots and more tries. The video game that so many people wanted is also happening, and I feel that, if the third film is successful (fingers crossed), we will be closer to the long-anticipated Wonder Woman solo animated series that so many WW fans have dreamed of for so long. I am sorry, but people who say that the film (still the DCEU's best reviewed, best loved movie) had zero impact are just living in denial.
    It had impact, but then again where was the animated series, at a minimum, upon the success of the first movie? Where is the second monthly comic set in the DC Universe that is an ongoing title which features Wonder Woman exclusively (I am not talking about anthology monthlies)? The people in animation and in the comic industry don't seem to see this same impact that others do.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It had impact, but then again where was the animated series, at a minimum, upon the success of the first movie? Where is the second monthly comic set in the DC Universe that is an ongoing title which features Wonder Woman exclusively (I am not talking about anthology monthlies)? The people in animation and in the comic industry don't seem to see this same impact that others do.
    When was the last time you saw this many miniseries, spinoffs, graphic novels and expanded content for Diana and her world? Obviously, they could have done more but they have done far less than what we have now.