Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Break Out Stars of the Current Era

Basically what it says in the title - who are some of the older, lesser known characters who you never heard of, paid attention to or found particularly interesting before the current era gave them a boost in visibility and story focus?

Same question but in terms of brand new characters?

And alternatively, are there any characters you've caught glimpses of but think could be a lot better utilized in this era or in a particular book?

For me, the biggest 'break-out stars' of the era in terms of characters I always liked, and think have really benefited from the boost in focus or visibility: Synch, Kwannon, Destiny and Cypher - all of whom I always thought had mad potential, kinda figured would never get to see that potential really delved into, and thus are being used in ways and to degrees I really never expected before this era.

Characters I wasn't that familiar with, or never thought too much about prior to this era, but who are now on my radar in a much bigger way (and I hope they continue to get an increase in focus/popularity): Manifold, Thunderbird, Tempo, Meggan.

Characters who have gotten a little bit of a visibility bump or who have been around here or there, that I hope continue to get used and built up more: Wiz Kid, Lourdes Chantel, Christian Frost.

Characters who've been referenced or relevant enough in the current era, I think they have a lot of potential TO be bigger than they are, if they get some more focus: Amelia Voght, Trinary, Pete Wisdom, Proteus, Absolom Mercator, the Xorn brothers, Petra and Sway, D-Cel.

Brand new characters who are on my radar in a big way thanks to the current era: Ora Serrata, the Fisher King, Somnus, Solem, Khora of the Burning Heart, Third Eye. (I know there was a character named Third Eye in a post Decimation story, but I'm pretty sure LaValle's Third Eye character is brand new).

Brand new characters who I think have more been talked up than they've actually been developed, but that I hope we continue to learn more about or get more focus on, or assume we will: Bei the Blood Moon, Mother Righteous, Lactuca, Sobunar, Escapade, Carmen Cruz from COTA.

(I would love to see Carmen as an X-Men intern or with some kind of apprenticeship to either Jumbo Carnation or Forge, given her interests in both costuming AND in adapting/integrating technology into those costumes. Given her interest in costuming, and her shapeshifting powers, if she doesn't stick with "Gimmick" as a codename moving forward, I think something like "Masquerade" would fit her well too).

Brand new characters I don't know are necessarily intended as focal points or with stories or development planned at the moment, but that I think could have a lot of potential and would love to see more of: Uqesh the Bridge, Mother Rapture, the White Sword, Brutha Nature from cameos in Ayala's New Mutants. (I know he was technically invented prior to this era in Age of X-Man, but he's still pretty new. I'm grandfathering him in. Its fine.)
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 07-04-2022 at 01:28 AM.

The Arraki are finally getting some panel time and I'm really glad for it !

Also, Destiny is obviously the biggest break out star but that was a given. Give us a never-developped-enought lesbian morally grey unapologetic villainess with killer tights and we're going to adore her.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I would like to see more of White Sword as well and I am curious about those 3 hidden seats on the Great Ring. Seems all have forgotten it exists. Lodus and Idyll got my interest me as well.

Character brought back that deserve more focus would be the Neal Shaara, the Xorn brothers, ForgetMeNot and Kylun.

I love the current focus on the previous neglected Sunspot, Vulcan and Juggernaut

Oldies that seem to be forgotten, that I want back in the spotlights would be Magma, Hijack Hellion and Indra.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I would like to see Eimin and Uriel the children of angel again, they are living normally and would be perfect on arrako in addition they are very powerful.

Extraordinary Member

Destiny, Doug, Kwannon, Nanny and Orphan Maker. These are the characters who had little to no importance and have seen their star really rise and are probably more popular now than they've ever been. I don't think Synch's appearances in X-Men have been the push he needed to break out.

Nature Girl would be the opposite of a 'breakout' character. She's the character everyone hates now.

Magik is an interesting case because she technically broke out a decade ago, but she's become more popular now than she's ever been and has been starting to become 'Wolverinified' with her appearances outside the X-line in a way she wasn't before Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Destiny, Doug, Kwannon, Nanny and Orphan Maker. These are the characters who had little to no importance and have seen their star really rise and are probably more popular now than they've ever been. I don't think Synch's appearances in X-Men have been the push he needed to break out.

Nature Girl would be the opposite of a 'breakout' character. She's the character everyone hates now.

Magik is an interesting case because she technically broke out a decade ago, but she's become more popular now than she's ever been and has been starting to become 'Wolverinified' with her appearances outside the X-line in a way she wasn't before Krakoa.
    Some hate.

I love her new comically over-exaggerated, homicidal environmentalist, deer furry schtick.

Someone has to care about the planet.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

BANNED

But I'm both BIASed & OBSESSed, SO...

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    ... I am curious about those 3 hidden seats on the Great Ring. Seems all have forgotten it exists. ...
    Ah yes, the mysterious 'Night' Table remains a puzzle yet to be solved, because...

AND THEN:

Incredible Member

Softserve is the only right answer.

On a more serious note I love that Tempo, Frenzy and Cecilia Reyes are getting some spotlight. If only they remember Rusty, Skids, Beautiful Dreamer and Phantazia I would forgive them for what they did to Nature Girl and Moira.
    Last edited by Milici; 07-04-2022 at 07:33 AM.

BANNED

Destiny and Mystique. Magneto. Storm as the Regent of Mars. Isca. Ora Serrata. Magik. Madelyne Pryor aka the Goblin Queen, Tarn, Sinister, Synch. Psylocke, Tempo, Rictor, Meggan, Saturnyne. Now it looks like Jean will kick butt against the Eternals and become Phoenix.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 07-05-2022 at 05:35 AM.

Jeff the Land Shark. One of the few highlights of this era for me was when he was whoopin' on all the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Some hate.

I love her new comically over-exaggerated, homicidal environmentalist, deer furry schtick.

Someone has to care about the planet.
    She feels like a Poison Ivy parody .

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Breakouts: Synch, Destiny, Kwannon are all A-Listers for the first time. Cypher and Exodus are a lot more important than I ever thought possible. I wish Mondo was given as much importance as Doug given how much he can interact with Krakoa as well.

Newbies: Third Eye, Khora. Strangely Marvel has made not attempt at making Carmen Cruz into a thing at all. I think Isca is really cool even though I hate esoteric powers like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    100%. I am STILL over the moon that we have him back and he continues to shine.

I also really loved Lorna in X-Men. Doug and Destiny as others have mentioned and I love that Captain Betsy is in a leadership role, and the Betsy Corps.

More of the Arakki please. Can't get enough of them.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

not Hellion