Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is nothing being done with blink?

I remember how amazing she was in exiles and how people were begging for this character to come back to life in the 616 every time they released a generation x comic in the letter pages. Shes finally been back in the 616 and despite a brief interesting moment where she was a villain shes been running around as a background character with nothing going on. I feel she's just being wasted...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    I remember how amazing she was in exiles and how people were begging for this character to come back to life in the 616 every time they released a generation x comic in the letter pages. Shes finally been back in the 616 and despite a brief interesting moment where she was a villain shes been running around as a background character with nothing going on. I feel she's just being wasted...
    At least since her return she has nominally been part of many groups like New Mutants, S.W.O.R.D or Way of X. Tha same can't be said for Neal Shaara, Skids or Lifeguard.

I agree. Never understood why. Maybe characters like Pixie took her spot and are visually too similar?!

I started X-Men comic with Age of Apocalypse and Generation X. Blink was my favorite for a while. Then she disappeared and never really returned......

Really bad 25 years to be an Blink fan. lol ;-) She had some moment in this quite boring television show.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I agree. Never understood why. Maybe characters like Pixie took her spot and are visually too similar?!

I started X-Men comic with Age of Apocalypse and Generation X. Blink was my favorite for a while. Then she disappeared and never really returned......

Really bad 25 years to be an Blink fan. lol ;-) She had some moment in this quite boring television show.
    Gah I cried when i first read that Phalanx Covenant issue where she died. I thought she was the eFFin coolest, visually, powerset.

That tv show was a snooooozefest cept for Astrid Bloom I mean Reeva Payge
    GrindrStone(D)

I feel like the big problem is we have this 616 Blink and the AoA Blink and no one really knows which one to right because AoA Blink doesn't have much of a reason to be in 616 but 616 Blink isn't really the character we know and love. I think the best solution would be to do what Ewing did to Moondragon in GotG and merge the two somehow so that AoA Blink retains what we love about her but has a reason to care about 616.

BANNED

Between advanced starships and Krakoan Gates mutants are not dependent on team teleporters. Of the significant array of people with teleportation powers, most have other powers or skill in addition.

I’m not against Blink, I just think she doesn’t add anything unique.

Extraordinary Member

I'm forced to agree with the above. The X-Men have a zillion teleporters like Ariel, Gateway, Vanisher, Amelia Voght, and others. Even looking at the times Blink was used, in New Mutants she was just the replacement teleporter when Magik left the team, in Way of X there were 2 other teleporters who were getting some focus in Nightcrawler and Pixie, so why was Blink there at all? And the mutants need teleporters less than ever now with Krakoa's gates.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think with the Multiverse coming into focus in the MCU, it's just a matter of time before Marvel Comics rides the tide with an Exiles relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post

How do you dare reminding me how f*****g old I am?! *mumble*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I'm forced to agree with the above. The X-Men have a zillion teleporters like Ariel, Gateway, Vanisher, Amelia Voght, and others. Even looking at the times Blink was used, in New Mutants she was just the replacement teleporter when Magik left the team, in Way of X there were 2 other teleporters who were getting some focus in Nightcrawler and Pixie, so why was Blink there at all? And the mutants need teleporters less than ever now with Krakoa's gates.
    Blink was even created when XMen editor Bob Harras kept Magik dead because he did not like the XMen’s magical or cosmic elements. Exile bring was popular at a time when Magik was dead. Magik made a huge rise in popularity upon her return.

So Blink just her way and 616 Blink was never Exiles, AoA Blink.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think with the Multiverse coming into focus in the MCU, it's just a matter of time before Marvel Comics rides the tide with an Exiles relaunch.
    That could be. Or they could give them a Disney Plus series.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    How do you dare reminding me how f*****g old I am?! *mumble*
    hihi, sorry. Botox party?

I love AoA Blink. I personally think they should never have brought the 616 version back, or just kept her as a villain to differentiate between the two.

Astonishing Member

Why is nothing being done with Blink?

Because of the same reason nothing is being done with *insert name of once popular/important secondary character here*.

While we have an inflation of X-men title, there is still not enough pannel space to give every once popular or lesser character with a certain fanbase or potential enough space to re-develop or re-introduce them, either because the writers are incapable on focusing on multiple characters, incapable of actualy using the space they are given to tell proper stories in time, they are uninterested to use these character, their stories don't need them, their stories only need their powers but not them as person, their stories need specific other characters, they are compelled to primarily use the characters who are allready widely used anyway, they want to push new characters and so on.

Furthermore the idea of every named mutant character being potentialy alive now and under one banner, ironicaly means that all of them have much less chance to shine or even being used at all, because there is no more limitation on who the writer can use and how. Which means there is less insentive to use those who usable or needing to adhere to how their characters are supposed to work, rather than just cherry pick who they can and morphing them to their desired state.

Infact we can now see a problematic trend were writers are actively reducing characters to the function of their powers, because they seemingly don't need to introduce them anymore or give a reason for why they can appear in the story.

Mutant characters are now basicly a pull and discard tool for writers when they need a quick resolution to a problem or something to make their plots work. All to the detriment of the characters, because they no longer need to actualy need be properly introduced or established.

So they get a brief cameo, have their powers used for something and then it's back to limbo or the occasional backround appearance. In a way, it could be argued the current status quo is actualy quite bad for underused characters. Since they are now even more reduced as characters than when writers actualy needed to justify their appearance or involvement in plots.

Not to forget that with almost all villains now working hand in hand with the heros means they can't even get second hand development anymore via being villains.

I forgot how absolutely breathtaking Blink's portals looked in Days of Future Past....