All-New Member

Default Help identifying artist of Wolverine drawing

I'm new here - hoping to get some assistance identifying the artist for the attached drawing of Wolverine.

I've had this since Feb 1996, when it was drawn for me - unfortunately since I was 12 at the time, I don't remember who the artist was. What I do remember, is it was an artist for Wolverine who came to our local comic store to sign autographs and do a meet and greet, and he generously drew this for me in about 30 seconds. The signature is there, but I can't make it out and doesn't seem to match to any of the Wolverine pencilers that I've researched.

It's not for sale, I just had it framed and I'm just trying to figure this out for my own information.

PXL_20220625_221946843.jpgPXL_20220625_221953923.jpg

Photo's too small for me to tell, but if I had to guess... John Buscema?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

That isn't John Buscema's signature.

I don't recognize the signature or the style. And there are a ton of Wolverine artists in the 90s.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I agree with you. No way that is John Buscema signature. Looks like the ending is "Alec"? Anyway, that sure isn't JB's signature style.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-05-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Alex Horley?

I was assuming the 'Alec' was the name of the recipient of the drawing (op guy).

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I was assuming the 'Alec' was the name of the recipient of the drawing (op guy).

That's right - I'm Alec - sorry for the confusion. Thanks to those that have responded so far!

All-New Member

I was thinking it might have been Marc Silvestri, and when I look him up he certainly looks familiar, but the signature doesn't look like what I've seen on the work on his website at least. Unless he's changed his signature style since 1996...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I can usually tell Silvestri's work at a glance. Not sure that's him, but happy to be wrong about that. Honestly, I can't place the artist. The style of many artists tends to change when they're doing live work extemporaneously vs. drawing something at their desks or in their studio. It could be anyone from Larry Hama to Mike Zeck for all I know.

All-New Member

Thanks, Judicator! Still striking out on a positive ID - guess it might stay as a "who knows?" but I still love the piece.

I did a search on Marvel Unlimited to give me any comic featuring Wolverine from 1990-1997
    Here is a list of some of the artists of the comics that came up

Leinil Francis Yu
    Ed McGuinness
    Mike Deodato ( I don't think he lives in the U.S.)
    Carlos Pacheco (from Spain IIRC)
    Joe Madiuera
    Val Semeiks
    Adam Kubert
    Chris Alexander
    Ron Wagner
    Ian Churchill
    Dwayne Turner
    Derick Robertson
    Gerald DeClaire
    Larry Stroman
    Bill Sienkiewicz (inking John Buscema)

I don't know if that will help you remember. But who knows?

All-New Member

Very helpful - I believe I've solved it, thank you!! Looks like Jerry DeCaire, comparing to the following:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...p?piece=974632

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...l-artist-jerry

Style looks very similar to the second one there too. Thank you everyone who responded, this made my night!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I did a search on Marvel Unlimited to give me any comic featuring Wolverine from 1990-1997
    Here is a list of some of the artists of the comics that came up

Leinil Francis Yu
    Ed McGuinness
    Mike Deodato ( I don't think he lives in the U.S.)
    Carlos Pacheco (from Spain IIRC)
    Joe Madiuera
    Val Semeiks
    Adam Kubert
    Chris Alexander
    Ron Wagner
    Ian Churchill
    Dwayne Turner
    Derick Robertson
    Gerald DeClaire
    Larry Stroman
    Bill Sienkiewicz (inking John Buscema)

I don't know if that will help you remember. But who knows?

I think that looks like the one. Congratulations! It's always a neat thing to own art like that. I have a few pieces myself. I have a Doctor Doom sketch that I got from Mark Bagley when I was at the C2E2 convention in Chicago a few years back. I took a picture of him when it was done.

All-New Member

[QUOTE=Iron Maiden;6113631]I think that looks like the one. Congratulations! It's always a neat thing to own art like that. I have a few pieces myself. I have a Doctor Doom sketch that I got from Mark Bagley when I was at the C2E2 convention in Chicago a few years back. I took a picture of him when it was done.

That's awesome! I wish I had thought of that (or my parents had) back when this one was done - though in 1996 I'm not even sure we would have had a camera with us. I'm sure I was just busy being an excited 12 year old who just got a real picture of his favorite comic character.

Great community here, thank you again!

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience here. Don't be shy about joining any conversations. The moderators are good about keeping things friendly here and don't tolerate "trolls".

Wolverine is usually one of those characters that is discussed in the X-Men forum but he's a character that pops up everywhere so there's no strict rule about that. He's not as dependent on being tied in to the X-Men anyway, having had many solo comics over the years and sometimes being a part of the Avengers.