Default Midnighter (The Authority) vs Gamora (Marvel)

Original version of Midnighter.

Gamora has her Godslayer sword and Midnighter has his staff. Who wins?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Midnighter has a decent speed edge (things like "kicking tank shells out of the air") and his battle computer. The question is, can he hurt Gamora? It's been a really long time since I read The Authority, and I just don't remember. I would lead towards "yes" based on shaky memories, so I guess he takes it. In terms of story, she should annihilate him, but her feats don't equal her reputation.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Spectacular Member

I like both characters, but I think Midnighter murders Gamora. Midnighter has experience murdering literal teams of supers solo. That's his presentation. While Gamora is a skilled assassin, she can't equal his strength. Skill wise they might close to even, (YMMV) but she can't match his battle computer which will give him two massive edges on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    I like both characters, but I think Midnighter murders Gamora. Midnighter has experience murdering literal teams of supers solo. That's his presentation. While Gamora is a skilled assassin, she can't equal his strength. Skill wise they might close to even, (YMMV) but she can't match his battle computer which will give him two massive edges on her.
    Gamora is a lot stronger than Midnighter and a lot more durable. She just doesn't have the speed.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Gamora is a lot stronger than Midnighter and a lot more durable. She just doesn't have the speed.
    May I ask how she is stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    May I ask how she is stronger?
    She's at LEAST class 50 and likely a fair bit beyond that. She's durable enough to take hits from some high-end foes who are way out of Midnighter's weight class. Again, she just doesn't have the speed to hang with Midnighter, so IF he can hurt her, he should win this.

I thought I remembered midnighter putting the hurt on sone flying bricks even if his lifting feats didn’t compare
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I thought I remembered midnighter putting the hurt on sone flying bricks even if his lifting feats didn’t compare
    Yes, Midnighter has no lifting feats that I recall either- I'll have to go back through his solo series- but I distinctly recall him pulling off the heads of metahumans and tearing apart cyborgs. Not sure what strength class that puts him in, however. Though how tough said metahumans supposedly were... ??? IDK. I don't trust my now very foggy memory without looking at the source material.

Edit: Yeah, just reviewed some stuff. Midnighter probably has more than normal human max strength (YMMV as to how much stronger he might be) but is just brutal with the way he uses it, and can find an opponents weak spots, that, combined with his speed, is what makes him so brutal in the books, imo. But he's got nothing approaching Spider-Man levels of strength, for example.
    Last edited by Zagreus; 07-11-2022 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Reviewed some stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Yes, Midnighter has no lifting feats that I recall either- I'll have to go back through his solo series- but I distinctly recall him pulling off the heads of metahumans and tearing apart cyborgs. Not sure what strength class that puts him in, however. Though how tough said metahumans supposedly were... ??? IDK. I don't trust my now very foggy memory without looking at the source material.

Edit: Yeah, just reviewed some stuff. Midnighter probably has more than normal human max strength (YMMV as to how much stronger he might be) but is just brutal with the way he uses it, and can find an opponents weak spots, that, combined with his speed, is what makes him so brutal in the books, imo. But he's got nothing approaching Spider-Man levels of strength, for example.
    Really? I always had the feeling he was stronger than Spider-Man from descriptions and what I read. Does Peter have anything to compare to, say, hitting a tank shell in mid-air or holding open a kaiju's mouth?

Spectacular Member

Really? I always had the feeling he was stronger than Spider-Man from descriptions and what I read. Does Peter have anything to compare to, say, hitting a tank shell in mid-air or holding open a kaiju's mouth?
    He was holding open a kaiju's mouth?? Well then he's really inconsistent.

In one of the comics I was looking at he was lifting weights like a normal human weightlifter- a strong one- but not that strong.

In that case, I'd have trouble pegging him.

*throws up hands*

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Some of it is hitting power - as in real life, skill often increases striking power, and once we get into comic books that sort of thing is magnified. It's pretty clear Midnighter is augmented himself, though, so it's probably a combination of skill and some level of metahuman strength.

I'm not 100% familiar with the character, but as I recall there's that 'kicking a tank shell out of the air' thing, there's him hurting metahumans a normal human has no business hurting, there's him doing stuff like 'kicking off someone's head such that it flies away' (I'm not 100% sure I remember this correctly).

Okay, found a couple of those. One is him hitting someone so hard their head literally explodes. This is good, but really it's not anything Cassandra Cain couldn't do if she tried. Then there's this.

Midnighter head.jpg

There's an argument to be made that this is beyond Original Cass, and she hits harder than CBPH. It's not a whole LOT beyond her, given that when it comes to the human body she does stuff like 'tear someone literally in half with an elbow/knee combination, said person already having a gut wound but that's all'.

I wouldn't say that this, though, puts Midnighter into the same hitting power area as someone who tears the turrets off of tanks, which is something I recall from Gamora.

main-qimg-8c7e62712d4a22386f44bf40f6c61383-lq.jpg

Note the comment about her strength - I don't know if she should be 'Iron Man' level, but there are tanks tossed around, tanks with their turrets ripped off, I would be fine with her being Class 40-50 based on this scan. Don't know how that holds up to her current presentation/feats.

...also, out of 'bad costumes for women in comics', that one has to be in the top ten. -_-

Anyway, so there are a couple of scans. Any thoughts?

Also, as an aside, we've had some discussions about Midnighter's combat computer versus combat precog over the years. People have pointed out that the computer is basically magic, that it ends up being the equivalent of combat precog, etc. By feats, that may be so. But interestingly enough, there IS a scan showing what happens when it goes up against actual combat precog.

Midnighter combat precog.jpg

So in THIS scan it seems more like an advanced version of what Taskmaster does - predict based on what it knows of the opponent. Granted, maybe in the next scan Midnighter beats the heck out of this guy, but still, I found this interesting.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

Okay, found a couple of those. One is him hitting someone so hard their head literally explodes. This is good, but really it's not anything Cassandra Cain couldn't do if she tried. Then there's this.

Midnighter head.jpg[
    How durable is the guy Midnighter decapitated?

...also, out of 'bad costumes for women in comics', that one has to be in the top ten. -_-
    You should see what she wore in the 2000s.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

How durable is the guy Midnighter decapitated?
    Normal human, I think, which is why I don't put this terribly above Comic Book Peak Human strength. It's a nice superhuman feat, but it's not 'rips off tank turret' or anything of the sort.

You should see what she wore in the 2000s.
    Oh, I know that one as well, and it is ALSO on the list. Higher up, in fact.

It's sad that Gamora has been so appallingly objectified, but that's par for the course for comic book women.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate