Default Why are males of a race bald but their females have hair?

I have noticed something about some fictional alien races. For example, Male Skrulls do not have hair on their scalp although some have facial hair. On the other hand, female Skrulls have hair on their heads. In Captain Marvel film, both male and female Skrulls are bald.

Male Durlans, Chamelon Boy's people in DC comics, are bald, too but female Durlans have hair on their scalp.

Male Zenn-Lans, Silver Surfer's people, have bald heads although some of them have facial hair. Female Zenn-Lans such as Shalla Bal have hair on their scalp.

Both male and female Ferengi are hairless.

Male Bolians have bald heads, as do some female Bolians. But other Bolian women have hair on their heads.

Does it make sense that the men of a race have bald heads while the women of the same race have hair?

Yul Brunner Syndrome: without the hair, you see more facial features: the strong chin, the cruel eyes… It adds a idea of danger… (Not in case of Norrin Rad, though…)

And males artists are almost unable to draw females creatures without making them beautiful and there are beautiful with hair…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Yul Brunner Syndrome: without the hair, you see more facial features: the strong chin, the cruel eyes… It adds a idea of danger… (Not in case of Norrin Rad, though…)

And males artists are almost unable to draw females creatures without making them beautiful and there are beautiful with hair…
    That is true. Chameleon Girl, a Durlan doesn't always have a bald head. She sometimes does have hair.

https://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/p...eleonGirl.html

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?c=...irl_Yera_Allon

Also, the female Ferengi look hardly attractive at all.

But in the Star Trek Motion Picture film, a baldheaded female Deltan looks strikingly attractive.

Would Captain Kirk screw a green alien who was bald? Your answer lies in there.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If we talk about TV and movies, it's probably so that actresses are not required to shave their heads (except some cases like Nebula).
    For books and comics, I don't think that writers often think in advance about potential adaptations, so that's probably not the reason, but it's still a good effect.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am pretty sure being bald would not be a deterrent to a hound dog like Kirk.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Male Zenn-Lans, Silver Surfer's people, have bald heads although some of them have facial hair. Female Zenn-Lans such as Shalla Bal have hair on their scalp.
    It has been revealed that male Zenn-Lavians (during adolescence) have their heads permanently shaved as a rite of passage leading to manhood.

In the case of races in visual (TV, comics, movies) media, it's a simple way to differentiate males and females. And yeah, "Would Jim Kirk screw her?" is a valid point for much of this trope as well.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

. . . Does it make sense that the men of a race have bald heads while the women of the same race have hair?
    You mean like with human beings, where we might think of men as more likely going bald as they get older but not so much the women?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Did you watch the Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Remember The bald Deltan woman who used to date Will Decker? She looked hot. I am surprised Kirk never tried to make a pass at her.

Extraordinary Member

That is true. Chameleon Girl, a Durlan doesn't always have a bald head. She sometimes does have hair.

https://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/p...eleonGirl.html

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?c=...irl_Yera_Allon

Also, the female Ferengi look hardly attractive at all.

But in the Star Trek Motion Picture film, a baldheaded female Deltan looks strikingly attractive.
    Was that the unfortunate model/actress who got killed IRL a few years later after lingering from a car crash?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    If we talk about TV and movies, it's probably so that actresses are not required to shave their heads (except some cases like Nebula).
    For books and comics, I don't think that writers often think in advance about potential adaptations, so that's probably not the reason, but it's still a good effect.
    I think they used a bald headpiece on Nebula. Much like they did for Dr. Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Was that the unfortunate model/actress who got killed IRL a few years later after lingering from a car crash?
    Persis Khambatta was Lieutenant Ilia in the 1979 movie. According to wikipedia, she was involved in the car crash in 1980; in 1983 she underwent coronary artery bypass surgery (though whether it was connected to the car crash wasn't mentioned); and she died of a heart attack in 1998 at the age of 49.

The guy who played Captain Willard Decker in the movie, Stephen Collins, later played Rev. Eric Camden in the TV show 7th Heaven. His career went into the toilet years later after it was revealed (and he admitted) that he had "inappropriate sexual conduct with three female minors" in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I think they used a bald headpiece on Nebula. Much like they did for Dr. Evil.
    Not sure about sequels, but in the first movie Karen Gillan showed her shaved head at Comic Con.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    ^^^So…baldly going.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    It has been revealed that male Zenn-Lavians (during adolescence) have their heads permanently shaved as a rite of passage leading to manhood.

^^^Never ever did I know that!