Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do Cyttorak and Sattanish get in exchange for lending power to mystics?

We have been told that mystics like Dr. Strange use three sources of power: 1.-Their own mental power (hypnotism, astral projection), 2.-channeling of environmental magic energy (teleportation, energy bolts) and 3.-borrowing power from extradimensional entities (Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, Shield of Seraphim, Flames of Faltine...etc.).

But I have never found any source explaining what these entities get in exchange for lending their power to mystics; I mean, Cyttorak, Sattanish, Dormmamu...etc., don't strike me as creatures that would lend their power for free...

Also, the Marvel wiki says that Dr. Strange's energy bolts can destroy planets and moons... has he ever done so? That looks WAY above what I remember...
    Last edited by Habis; 07-05-2022 at 01:53 PM.

In brief, the mystical equivalent of an IOU. Many of them tried to cash in their markers when the War of Seven Spheres came around:

https://twitter.com/sanctumblog/stat...31752048500738

Think of them as magical loansharks.

Extraordinary Member

Also I think it counts as free advertisement, many mystical entities have somewhat huge ego and they like to see their might shown in the mortal plain.
    For certain entities like Set, Chthon, etc who specifically want Earth for themselves, lending power is a form of gaining presence and followers I think.

Also Dormammu is not the only source of Flames of Faltine. I was under the impression Stephen channels the power from the Faltine dimension with Dorm's OG people.

Dr. Strange used to invoke Dormammu before the latter tried to invade Earth.

And the whole "being indebted to the entity who lends you power" seems to be a VERY dangerous thing... I mean, whay could Cyttorak or Sattanish demand from Dr. Strange...?

A good question... for another day. There's a crisis now, and Strange needs that power!

But at one point, the day comes.

I've been asking that question periodically for decades. Cytorrak lives for destruction. Strange should be up to his eyeballs in dept to Cytorrak with how often he uses the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak. He should be demanding Strange smash cities by this point, bare minimum. And being in dept to Sattanish is even worse. As in eternally damned to Hell worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I've been asking that question periodically for decades. Cytorrak lives for destruction. Strange should be up to his eyeballs in dept to Cytorrak with how often he uses the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak. He should be demanding Strange smash cities by this point, bare minimum. And being in dept to Sattanish is even worse. As in eternally damned to Hell worse.
    I always thought that was a more rational "price of magic" than weird diets and mystical wounds.

I checked, and one of the Handbooks puts it this way:

The mere act of being asked gives the entity power and so to encourage this action, some spiritual beings will grant power to any individual who invokes their name in the proper way; however, the entity may also choose to ignore the request. The spiritual energy or "mystic potential" present in the petitioner plays a part in how often requests are granted. The invocation or prayers of an individual who has large amounts of spiritual energy would provide the entity with a more enticing exchange and they would be more inclined to answer them. Some malevolent entities, like Chthon or Satannish, are willing to offer vast amounts of power, but only in exchange for the supplicant's soul.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    We have been told that mystics like Dr. Strange use three sources of power: 1.-Their own mental power (hypnotism, astral projection), 2.-channeling of environmental magic energy (teleportation, energy bolts) and 3.-borrowing power from extradimensional entities (Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, Shield of Seraphim, Flames of Faltine...etc.).

But I have never found any source explaining what these entities get in exchange for lending their power to mystics; I mean, Cyttorak, Sattanish, Dormmamu...etc., don't strike me as creature that would lend their power for free...

Also, the Marvel wiki says that Dr. Strange's energy bolts can destroy planets and moons... has he ever done so? That looks WAY above what I remember...
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I always thought that was a more rational "price of magic" than weird diets and mystical wounds.

I checked, and one of the Handbooks puts it this way:

The mere act of being asked gives the entity power and so to encourage this action, some spiritual beings will grant power to any individual who invokes their name in the proper way; however, the entity may also choose to ignore the request. The spiritual energy or "mystic potential" present in the petitioner plays a part in how often requests are granted. The invocation or prayers of an individual who has large amounts of spiritual energy would provide the entity with a more enticing exchange and they would be more inclined to answer them. Some malevolent entities, like Chthon or Satannish, are willing to offer vast amounts of power, but only in exchange for the supplicant's soul.

But it's possible some of them aren't being asked, but compelled. That part of the spell involves compelling the entity? Likewise, part of the spell may be saying all the right things that encourage the entities to give / loan the power.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    But it's possible some of them aren't being asked, but compelled. That part of the spell involves compelling the entity?
    I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Good question. Dr. Strange, did you ever had to destroy a planet or moon during a fight?

Beings like Hulk and Nebulon have tanked Strange's energy beams, and Strange was unable to punch through Mutant Alpha's force field... that doesn't sound "planet destroying" to me.

And there are times when a planet-destroying" energy beam would have been handy: When that rogue planet was about to crash into Earth, and during Incursions, but Strange didn't do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Beings like Hulk and Nebulon have tanked Strange's energy beams, and Strange was unable to punch through Mutant Alpha's force field... that doesn't sound "planet destroying" to me.

And there are times when a planet-destroying" energy beam would have been handy: When that rogue planet was about to crash into Earth, and during Incursions, but Strange didn't do it...
    He's done it at least twice:

With some beings the concept of magical "advertisement" is mystical in nature and not as simple as people hearing the name of Cyttorak. that's part of it. but for a being who doesn't have the ability to simply go to Earth, it lets them exert their will in the Earth's dimension. Think of it like opening a door.

Some issues have indicated that calling on a mystical entity actually strengthens that entity. I recall once, when Dormammu's energy had been dispersed, he was reconstituted by all the magic users who called on his name for spells. That is why Doc no longer uses Dormammu-spells. There was also that bit, after Doc took out Shuma-Gorath and absorbed his power, that it was stated that, eventually, the power would turn him into Shuma Gorath---that eventually, somebody would call on Shuma Gorath and Doc would answer.

Under this view, the concept that calling on a mystical being's power somehow takes power from that being is misguided. It strengthens the being, not weakens. The "price" of the spell is that you further empower the entity, which is why it is best to only call on the "good" entities, like the Vishanti.

Of course, Doc used to always call on the Faltine...but I think that fits. While Dormammu and Umar were born Faltine, they were rejects. The Faltine wanted nothing to do with them. In other words, the Faltine, as Faltines, are "good." Dormammu and Umar are separate powers now and evil.

One of the problems with Doctor Strange is that there are almost 60 years worth of stories and not every writer bothered to research the character before writing something (I'm looking at YOU, Aaron). So it is not surprising that you can find evidence to support several different and mutually contradictory viewpoints on how magic works. But we can try to reconcile things by jettisoning the Clearly Wrong Stuff. Like anything that Aaron wrote.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Invoking, as many here have stated, has a variety of effects that can be beneficial to the entity being invoked and detrimental to the individual that is doing the invoking. It really varies from entity to entity and there is no hard and fast rule.

But just as there are some invocations that encompass a quid pro quo in some form or other, there are also some entities that grant their power freely without strings of any kind. Gaea/Mother Earth is probably the most popular truly beneficent entities. (At least she used to be.)