Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (spoilers)

No thread for the #1 movie in the world?

I liked it.

It had a good pace, sympathetic characters, and a decent story. It kept a good balance between the serious bits and the comedy, not switching between them at a rapid pace. It kept the RPG mostly to creatures and setting references, not trying to shoehorn game elements in to the detriment of the story or trying to explain them and dragging down the pacing.

It was a little bloodless for a D&D adventure, literally. I don't think the heroes killed anyone but the big bad, all the guards and grunts being pummeled but not stabbed. The Owlbear tossing people around would probably be fatal but since it wasn't show to be, they're fine.

I'd like to see it go the three movie route. Someone on another board said an 8 episode Paramount+ series was in the works, but gave no source so...
    Sounds perfect.

I enjoyed it more than i liked Ant-Man and Shazam 2 if i am being honest, i hope it does well in theaters.

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Some friends and I saw an advanced screening of this one, back at the start of March. I loved it. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was fun, with some great set pieces (particularly the paladin's sword fight. That was amazing to watch), and just gorgeous visually. I loved the sweeping landscape shots.

I liked that it was essentially a heist movie, just in a high fantasy setting. I really enjoyed that. And the final brawl where they dog-piled on the villain, that was cool as hell to watch.

I did feel like the film was about 15 minutes too long, like, they could've shaved a few minutes, here and there, if they tried, but honestly, I think that's true of most big movies, these days.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    No thread for the #1 movie in the world?

I liked it.

It had a good pace, sympathetic characters, and a decent story. It kept a good balance between the serious bits and the comedy, not switching between them at a rapid pace. It kept the RPG mostly to creatures and setting references, not trying to shoehorn game elements in to the detriment of the story or trying to explain them and dragging down the pacing.

It was a little bloodless for a D&D adventure, literally. I don't think the heroes killed anyone but the big bad, all the guards and grunts being pummeled but not stabbed. The Owlbear tossing people around would probably be fatal but since it wasn't show to be, they're fine.

I'd like to see it go the three movie route. Someone on another board said an 8 episode Paramount+ series was in the works, but gave no source so...
    I liked the movie too.

The movie doesn't graphically show the core heroes killing anybody, totally on purpose I assume, but I didn't really think they didn't at all, besides the owlbear rampage, I thought there were like a couple scenes when Olga fought knights in the forge room where I didn't think they could have survived, especially because everyone should have fled the place afterwards and no doctors or whatever you call them here seemed readily available. Olga in general looked like a neck snapping action hero.

It is very much an MCU movie. It was better than the last two movies I saw (Infinity War and Endgame), but not as good say something like GotG. It has the issue that I think a lot of 'franchise' films have where they stumble into the next set piece. Like, a think that scene in the Underdark could have been cut/rearranged. The Underdark is there because its an iconic Forgotten Realms location even if this film does it a disservice by including it here so briefly.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It is very much an MCU movie.
    Wasn't it though?

I couldn't help thinking that, while sitting there watching the movie. You had a team of heroes led by a Chris, with the team-muscle/berserker (female Thor, with a thing for hobbits), the red-headed spy and infiltrator, and lord knows, Justice Smith was channeling Peter Parker, while the paladin was clad in Stark-tech.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    Wasn't it though?
    No, not really.

You had a team of heroes led by a Chris
    Might as well call it a Star Trek Movie, they're led by the same Chris.

with the team-muscle/berserker (female Thor, with a thing for hobbits).
    Every team has muscle, name one female in Marvel before Jane.

the red-headed spy and infiltrator
    Who is also the muscle in the Owlbear form.

Justice Smith was channeling Peter Parker,
    Pete was never that wishy-washy and is a his most confident using his powers. Simon was overly un-competent all around.

while the paladin was clad in Stark-tech.
    Regular armor and a magic sword=Iron Man?

D&D was better paced than recent Marvel and gave the comedic & serious parts time to breath. The film focused more on the characters than bombarding the audience with special effects every 15 minutes. Marvel should look at this and learn a few things.
    Sounds perfect.

I do find it funny that typical action-adventure tropes are now attributed to the MCU, as though they originated/popularized them.

I really liked it, characters were fleshed out and enjoyable, the actors were good for what they were doing, Hugh Grant was fantastic(honestly any scene he was in was great), storyline was simple but enjoyable, well paced, and clever, it was faithful to the source material without really pandering, and above all else felt like it was a theatrical recreation of a perfectly plausible game of D&D

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I really liked it, characters were fleshed out and enjoyable, the actors were good for what they were doing, Hugh Grant was fantastic(honestly any scene he was in was great), storyline was simple but enjoyable, well paced, and clever, it was faithful to the source material without really pandering, and above all else felt like it was a theatrical recreation of a perfectly plausible game of D&D
    Hugh Grant has been gold recently here and in Guy Ritchie's Operation Fortune as well, playing scoundrels in general. D&D even decided well about ending the movie with him, and I don't think the running time ever dragged.

It was a really really fun movie that had terrific rythm. Shame that it's doing poorly at the box office, wanted to see more of them

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I do find it funny that typical action-adventure tropes are now attributed to the MCU, as though they originated/popularized them.
    Seriously. I enjoyed this movie and MCU in general, but I don't see how one is the other. Just because they were a little creative with their mythos does not MCU make.

Incredible Member

I imagine that Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Trouble in Little China were big influences. It is *way better* than Love & Thunder.

I enjoyed it a lot. I have only casual familiarity with D&D from a few videogames and *hazy* memories of the animated series. Well, those and the previous movies, of course. The second and third were just generic B-movie fare. But that first one...woo boy! And a friend pointed out to me that they actually said, "honor among thieves" several times in that movie. 20+ years of foreshadowing!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Hugh Grant has been gold recently here and in Guy Ritchie's Operation Fortune as well, playing scoundrels in general. D&D even decided well about ending the movie with him, and I don't think the running time ever dragged.
    I was pleasantly surprised after the horrorshow that was normally-great Jeremy Irons performance in the first D&D movie. Hugh Grant managed to be hammy and yet also fun and not feel like he was fighting the tone of the rest of the movie with his antics.