Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: James Bond 26

Default James Bond 26

Might be a bit early to post this but any thoughts on the next Bond film? The producers have said it's a "complete reinvention", but that's really hardly new for Bond, as the series has undergone multiple transformations over the years. While it's stuck to a basic formula, it has often radically shifted in tone, at least.

I think personally that Matthew Vaughn should perhaps get a chance at directing, as "First Class" and the Kingsman films have been heavily inspired by Bond. However I'm not sure how his graphic sense of humor could work out, although it was a bit toned down for some of his stuff.

Idris Elba of course is a favorite to replace Craig but they're kind of almost the same age, and Idris would be probably in his mid 50s by the time production began. As good an actor as he is, the producers probably want to avoid the problems of the later Roger Moores, where Moore being in his mid 50s started to not be too convincing anymore.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think they should go for a fresher, newer name, for Bond.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Not really a Bond guy. I watched a few of the Craig films with some sprinkles of some of the older ones at some point in my movie watching life.

That said I think the play should be to find an up and coming guy to take the reins so you don't have to worry about him aging out since he will likely be on for a trio of films at the least.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

I don't buy Idris Elba as Bond. I want an actor in their 30s.

Personally I'd like to see one with Nomi and MI5, just let the franchise continue where it left off.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Bond is so dated at this point, and unexciting. I'm not sure that character still resonates nowadays. There are far better spy franchises nowadays. The last 3 Mission Impossibles have done an excellent job at capturing the essence of Bond/spy fi films, while still bringing something unique and exciting every time, and the newer Bond films are just grounded and gritty intelligence propaganda. And I think I just have no interest in a heavily drinking, misogynist gambler shoot a bunch of people
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

One thing that's never been quite done might be a "Bond vs Bond" film. Back in the early 00s Sony was contemplating another "Thunderball" remake, with Connery perhaps playing Largo or Blofeld against Dalton or Brosnan. (Moore's Octopussy did come out the same year as "Never Say Never Again" and it was hyped as a battle of the Bonds, but they were two seperate films). Of course "Goldeneye" did have Brosnan face another 00 (played by an actor who was almost cast as Bond-Sean Bean).

There were also rumors that Connery was going to be the groundskeeper at Skyfall, although I'm pretty sure that was just wishful thinking as Connery had mostly retired by then apart from a few video games and animated films.

"Reinvention" to me sounds like they're going to go younger. Make him less suave and confident; ditch the old-fashioned machismo, make him more flawed. Just more modern in general.(hopefully in an authentic way)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Reinvention" to me sounds like they're going to go younger. Make him less suave and confident; ditch the old-fashioned machismo, make him more flawed. Just more modern in general.(hopefully in an authentic way)
    I kind of want a Bond in his prime again because we had Craig go from burgeoning super spy to "getting too old for this @#$%" pretty quick.

They should do one where Bond is the monster and the staff of a normal intelligence agency with families and stuff have to stop him somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of want a Bond in his prime again because we had Craig go from burgeoning super spy to "getting too old for this @#$%" pretty quick.
    Think that might have had a lot to do with the fairly long breaks between films, in part due to the legal problems (Which also caused the Dalton/Brosnan gap) and Craig's initial reluctance to do one more (Even without the Pandemic, No Time To Die was already delayed during pre-production due in part to that and changing the directors). Although at least in NTTD after the five year gap he didn't neglect his health and skills like in Skyfall (although Nomi says he has a bad knee we see no evidence of this).

I'm kind of curious how the last few films would've turned out if they had kept the original ending of QOS which was Bond tracking down Mr. White (at the house of one of the men who Bond identified in the opera) and killing him. Skyfall probably would've been similar but then the Whole White/Swan stuff wouldn't have really worked out in the last two films.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-06-2022 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They should do one where Bond is the monster and the staff of a normal intelligence agency with families and stuff have to stop him somehow.
    Like that one Simpsons episode?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

There was a "Mr. Bont" in that episode who was trying to stop Scorpio. Scorpio was kind of in the Bond villain mold of a guy who seems to be a legitimate billionare philanthropist on the outside but is really a bad guy.

Extraordinary Member

I liked over the past three films how they showed (while still effective) a lot of his views on women (not to mention life in general) were a bit outdated, but while at the same time, he wasn't necessarily dismissive of new approaches to things and new ideas. But yeah, there's only so long you can take that approach to a character without wishing for the ice age to wipe out the dinosaur.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I liked over the past three films how they showed (while still effective) a lot of his views on women (not to mention life in general) were a bit outdated, but while at the same time, he wasn't necessarily dismissive of new approaches to things and new ideas.
    They already did that with Brosnan Bonds, 30 years ago, so it is hardly fresh...
    Whole point of Bond is that he is a dinosaur, but a suave and necessary dinosaur, that the world still needs a well-dressed heterosexual British guy to set things straight. That goes back to original books, it's not something which has been attached to the character as times have passed. There is no point making an MI or Jason Bourne style Bond, because then you might just as well make one of those movies.