Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I think the prospect of a Britain-set series is exciting. The other anti-Krakoa nations are all more obviously "evil", the UK is a traditional Western democracy and showing the hard life for mutants there I think has a lot of potential to dig deep into classic X-themes while treading new ground. Would be cool to see some British, Irish, and Scottish mutants represented here (Banshee or Siryn? Pete Wisdom?).

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think KOX has been benefitting from a narrower focus and has so far had mostly enjoyable issues, but yeah I was actually looking forward to another writer's take on this cast. Oh well, if KOX only lasted 5 issues, I can't imagine whatever comes next lasting much longer anyway.
    It's not like we'd really get another writer's take on this cast. With the characters Howard has left, I'm confident Betsy and Gambit would be picked up, but I could easily see the others go into limbo for a bit.

Best scenes i've seen for Betsy in this era were the unlimited issues with the Absorbing Human, he had the powers of a lot of telepaths amongst many other powers and was attacking the island at once when he first arrived and was shutting everyone down Betsy instintively reached out and was actually able to fend him off for a few seconds when he took out the rest of the island. Eventually he put her to sleep with everyone else but then later on when Xavier was stirring people there was a scene of him reaching Betsy and Kwannon and them helping to wake up others on the island. It wasn't some huge appearance but its the best story in this era for me she had so far so hopefully whatever is next for betsy feels more like xmen on an adevnture as opposed to trying to be something else just to be something else. I mean it's not bad but it's like trying to put a square peg into a circle hole. You can keep shoving you can keep adjusting it can get better but it just doesn't fit.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I cut out on Excalibur after it ruined Cullen Bloodstone. Did Betsy ever develop any of the powers she should have had as Captain Britain? I was really disappointed she didn't have any of the strength or flight abilities. Total waste.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I actually don't mind the way Howard writes Betsy, I think she has had the best characterization of the cast. The only issue with her is that with the Cap powers added to her existing powers she should have a lot more impressive feats than she has had, but that's not a huge problem for me.

I do really dislike every decision she has made with Rictor though. Hate the Apocalypse stuff, hate the druid stuff, hate the magic stuff, hate that Howard hasn't really bothered to do the work in the text to make any of those decisions make sense. I like that she has had Rictor and Star reconnect in KoX, but their reunion was terribly written, and even in KoX their dialogue together is weird, why does she have Star speaking like a Shakespearean actor?

I should be loving the building Betsy/Rachel pairing, but Rachel's personality is being sacrificed to prop up Betsy, and I don't like that. And speaking of props, every other character in these Howard books are little more than props to help Betsy along with her story. And I generally just don't enjoy Howard's writing style.

Anyway, I most likely will not be reading any books by Howard, I hope the characters I like make it through undamaged, free Rictor, etc

Probably wouldn't need those #1 sales if you added Hellion to the cast, Howard.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Hellion needs an Otherworld realm of his own, obviously.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Trust me. You dont want TH writing Hellion or Wind Dancer.

Its interesting that some of you want the STRIKE/UK storylines to be completed by TH when those were the story beats that everyone dislike in Excalibur.

The X-Office has TWO awesome British writers currently but NO lets give TH a fifth shot after Excalibur, X-Corp, Secret X-Men, and KoX.

Whats not clicking???

And everyone saying that other characters are being used to prop Betsy.

Betsy is not propped AT ALL when written by TH.

She's written generic and whiny and like she doesnt know how to use her powers. She's trying too hard to fullfill this Captain Britain persona.
    Last edited by CGAR; 07-06-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Trust me. You dont want TH writing Hellion or Wind Dancer.

Its interesting that some of you want the STRIKE/UK storylines to be completed by TH when those were the story beats that everyone dislike in Excalibur.

The X-Office has TWO awesome British writers currently but NO lets give TH a fifth shot after Excalibur, X-Corp, Secret X-Men, and KoX.

Whats not clicking???

And everyone saying that other characters are being used to prop Betsy.

Betsy is not propped AT ALL when written by TH.

She's written generic and whiny and like she doesnt know how to use her powers. She's trying too hard to fullfill this Captain Britain persona.
    Not everyone.

Somebody saves Betsy from Tini Howard.

She can't take any more bad writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Not everyone.
    Well if its working for you its working for you. Glad youre enjoying it.

Honest question: is Howard an acclaimed writer on the indie scene or something? Because going by her work on the X-books, I don't get why she's given book after book and relaunch after relaunch. I've seen much better writers get the boot for far less.

Well if its working for you its working for you. Glad youre enjoying it.
    I certainly don't love it but I'm making the best of it. I didn't like Spurrier's X-Force so I dipped out on that, Betsy wasn't really used during the Gold/Blue reboot era, I didn't like Age of X-Man so I dipped out on that. So I haven't liked how she's been written since Bunncanny. But I like this enough to continue with it and I'm happy she's at least in a spotlight role.

I definitely understand the commitment to following one's favorite character but you can only torture yourself so much if you really hate it, you know? I sympathize with fellow Betsy fans, I'm just trying to roll with the punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    Honest question: is Howard an acclaimed writer on the indie scene or something? Because going by her work on the X-books, I don't get why she's given book after book and relaunch after relaunch. I've seen much better writers get the boot for far less.
    Honestly I think it has to do with changing the dynamic of the X-Slack writers room. They dont want to have big changes of chemistry so they keep giving the OG writers more shots and chances. But TH and BP really need to tag someone else in for their titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I certainly don't love it but I'm making the best of it. I didn't like Spurrier's X-Force so I dipped out on that, Betsy wasn't really used during the Gold/Blue reboot era, I didn't like Age of X-Man so I dipped out on that. So I haven't liked how she's been written since Bunncanny. But I like this enough to continue with it and I'm happy she's at least in a spotlight role.

I definitely understand the commitment to following one's favorite character but you can only torture yourself so much if you really hate it, you know? I sympathize with fellow Betsy fans, I'm just trying to roll with the punches.
    Its' not torture its just annoying reading the dialogue. Im trying to stay up to date on one of my favorite characters. Especially when its considered an important era for the X-Men. Being a leader of team book isnt enough IMO but anyways like someone else said. This next series probably wont last long either going by X-Corp or KoX.

You know whats crazy though. Even before HoxPOx I always wanted Betsy to have another shot at CB and have otherworld stories but le sigh. I got TH as writer.

Honestly I think it has to do with changing the dynamic of the X-Slack writers room. They dont want to have big changes of chemistry so they keep giving the OG writers more shots and chances. But TH and BP really need to tag someone else in for their titles.

Its' not torture its just annoying reading the dialogue. Im trying to stay up to date on one of my favorite characters. Especially when its considered an important era for the X-Men. Being a leader of team book isnt enough IMO but anyways like someone else said. This next series probably wont last long either going by X-Corp or KoX.

You know whats crazy though. Even before HoxPOx I always wanted Betsy to have another shot at CB and have otherworld stories but le sigh. I got TH as writer.
    My true hope is that once Howard eventually and finally bows out, Betsy will be in a good position for someone to take the reins. Bringing back her family, vintage allies, and everything Otherworld gives me hope and I have to at least thank Howard for bringing those elements in. And Violet Swan! I gotta hold onto something and pray the future is bright.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Once again, Excalibur is cancelled.

Save Rachel, Jubilee, Betsy and Gambit.
    "Cable was right!"