Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Sabretooth #5 Review & Spoilers

Convinced by Mole of the cause, Magma causes an undersea volcano to erupt, weaking Krakoa and knocking out everyone near Nanny Cove, allowing Sabretooth to escape and move without witnesses. He had no intention of helping his comrades escape with him.

Mystique and Destiny catch up to him. But Destiny sees a vision of Sabes leading an army of Exiles, and says to Mystique that he could do the right thing and save a lot of lives. So they let him go.

He steals Bling!'s boat and rides off. However, Orchis manages to get ahold of him, and are planning on throwing him in with their new mutant prison program.

Meanwhile, Cypher says that Sabretooth left his throne in the Pit. He can't let anyone sit on it and make Krakoa a Hell like Sabretooth did. So everyone, including Nanny, Orphan-Maker, Toad and Hellion, are brought to the surface. They're given a mission to wrangle Sabretooth in by throwing some weird skull thing at his feet. What it will do, we don't know. But it's apparently worse than death.

Xavier, meanwhile, has lost the faith of some Krakoans. People know what he did and his reputation is tarnished. No outright rebellion yet though. Maybe next LaValle book.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Incredible Member

Is just weird that Storm, Kate, Kurt and Jean/Colossus all agree to keep the pit as a punishment, and have no problem with sendig some of those folks there, it might be the most out of character part of the Krakoa era (excluding Moira and Nature Girl)

glad nanny and orphan maker showed up, i was wondering where/ when they would show up tbh
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Is just weird that Storm, Kate, Kurt and Jean/Colossus all agree to keep the pit as a punishment, and have no problem with sendig some of those folks there, it might be the most out of character part of the Krakoa era (excluding Moira and Nature Girl)
    What's worse is that Magneto left Toad down there all this time.
    My flag is bacon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    (...) He steals Bling!'s boat and rides off. However, Orchis manages to get ahold of him, and are planning on throwing him in with their new mutant prison program. (...)
    Somehow this part reminds me of that Wolverine and the X-men episode where Nightcrawler escaped from Magneto's Genosha, teleport chained across the ocean until he landed infront of the X-mansion only to be aducted by Mystique who was walking around openly on the front lawn with none of the X-men presented including the guy with super smell and a telepath noticing.

This series was hellions level of good. Thoroughly enjoyed this and would give this issue my book of the week followed by Spiderman. This was a case of the chicken before the egg and it really worked. as soon as they sentenced sabretooth the council created krakoas first sin and in doing so they forever marred the sacred land (literally and metaphorically), should they all be in the pit for their crime?... Maybe. But on a sentient island such as Krakoa one thing is sure, don't use the sacred land to imprison it's own inhabitants and expect even a mutant island not to feel empathy.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-06-2022 at 03:30 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Nanny is a star and I'm glad LaValle is aware of this. Very good ending!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Can’t wait for the sequel series! I don’t want a full on Krakoan civil war, but a reckoning of the unbecoming aspects of national building needs to take center stage at some point. If it’s handled the way that LaValle is doing it here I’ll be a happy camper.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Can’t wait for the sequel series! I don’t want a full on Krakoan civil war, but a reckoning of the unbecoming aspects of national building needs to take center stage at some point. If it’s handled the way that LaValle is doing it here I’ll be a happy camper.
    Could be another Schism instead of another Civil War. That said, I am glad Victor LaValle has been handling this overall theme with the nuance and depth it deserves.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Yep. Toad still being down there is a BIG fumble... it makes Wanda, Magneto, Xavier, Doug, Polaris, Legion, Proteus (and most probably the rest of the Five too) monsters... they all know the truth, and they left Toad in the Pit that, let me remind you, keeps people "immobile, but conscious..."; that's a horrible form of torture, and Xavier and Magneto are leaving people there for weeks for minor infractions, or for no infraction at all...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Yep. And then Toad gets sent off with the group to track down Sabretooth, and still no one except Mags and Wanda know that he's innocent. I hope that gets addressed in Exiles.

5/5

Looking forward to…EXILES!
    #MagnetoWasRight

Astonishing Member

I really liked this last issue

Basically, Magma injured Krakoa so badly, Krakoa reacted by sapping mutant energy from every mutant in Krakoa, to heal herself, making every mutant faint. So they could escape undetected.
    Destiny and Mystique give them their mission because Destiny could see it would be good for them to do that.
    They are after Creed, which means they will end up following him to the Brazilian Orchis prison, and they will have to break in there. So it's basically an Exiles book, but exiled from Krakoa.

Astonishing Member

For someone who spend the last 32 years pressumed dead and having rather low level super powers, Mole managed to have quite a small but significant impact on the social landscape of Krakoa with his actions in this series.

Which is kind of a par for the course with the Morlocks, when one thinks about it.

Attacked, massacred, scattered, drowned, abducted, twisted in weird dimensions, depowered, hunted, exposed to terrigan mist, attacked some more. The Morlocks have gone through a lot in their history and lost many of their friends and loved ones along the way, but somehow, somewhere, there are always some of them left carrying their identity and new ones showing up to join in.

And if someone ignores them as just weak powered mutants who cowardly hide from the world, some of them might suddently show up and have some unexpected impact on events.

For all we know at the end of Moira's 6th life the only mutants left in the world might have been those in the Homo Novissima zoo and a bunch of Morlocks sucessfully hiding somewhere.

Talking about Morlocks. I recall Marrow showed up with Shark Girl in issue 3 (which seems to be a pattern currently), yet was no where to be seen in the last two issues. So i guess she didn't want to have a hand in freeing Creed and it indicates she now has the super power to show up constantly without having any actual role or impact on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    No, actually. The Pit was initially described as a deathlike state of being, where the characters are aware they are there, but can’t actually do anything about their situation. No one knew that it would created a mini mental plane where Sabertooth would gain control over the setting based around his mental state, imagination, and will.

Jean only ever sent Sabertooth to the Pit and the rest happened either post-Council service or were a ruling done by Xavier and whoever he brought in with him.

Beyond Nanny and Orphan-Maker, I don’t believe any of the other Council members know of who was sent down there.

The Krakoa era is basically Xavier’s character assassination. This is post-Deadly Genesis era, which says a lot about how far Xavier is from his old characterization. At least now it makes sense why Xavier turns a blind eye to Beast’s shenanigans.
    Last edited by PyroFN; 07-06-2022 at 05:58 PM.