Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default DC’s best years tend to be the years were their universe is most bloated.

Best eras for DC.
    Number 1
    Late 70’s to mid 80’s. The years leading up to Crisis. Those were the years when the pre-Crisis multiverse felt the most realized. Superman was still relevant. Batman had escaped the corniness of the Adam West show, but hadn’t become a psycho yet. Earth 2 and it’s characters were in their prime. The Legion was popular.

Number 2
    Mid 90’s to early 2000’s
    After the crash that was the spectacular bubble. DC relied on a retro yet forward thinking form of comic (both in the art and the storytelling) stuff like Starman, Kingdom Come and JSA really pushed into the forefront the legacy element of the DCU.

In short I feel the DCU works best when it has a sense of history. To often when DC goes for a “fresh new look,” it ends up erasing what made the characters interesting to begin with.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 07-06-2022 at 07:09 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Yup! Ever since New 52 the DCU has felt very small. The connective tissue of character dynamics, interactions, and history has been destroyed and stories just feel so barren now. But I feel like the late 70s all the way to the 2000s was the best.

BANNED

I didn't hate New 52 because I started going more into dc(aside from Batman) with new 52. But slowly I was appreciating more of the stuff that was happening with 80s and 2000s because it gets biggers. 52 was peak DC stuff but ultimately a curse.

Yes, DC's best years are [Insert Nebulous Time Period That Isn't Recent Here]

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Best eras for DC.
    Number 1
    Late 70’s to mid 80’s. The years leading up to Crisis. Those were the years when the pre-Crisis multiverse felt the most realized. Superman was still relevant. Batman had escaped the corniness of the Adam West show, but hadn’t become a psycho yet. Earth 2 and it’s characters were in their prime. The Legion was popular.

Number 2
    Mid 90’s to early 2000’s
    After the crash that was the spectacular bubble. DC relied on a retro yet forward thinking form of comic (both in the art and the storytelling) stuff like Starman, Kingdom Come and JSA really pushed into the forefront the legacy element of the DCU.

In short I feel the DCU works best when it has a sense of history. To often when DC goes for a “fresh new look,” it ends up erasing what made the characters interesting to begin with.
    Excellent observations. I agree completely and these are among the reasons I would love to see DC embrace the Multiverse concept with actual planning and forethought again. Don't just have infinite universes to occasionally visit or reference, make a few of them pillars of regular publishing like DC did pre-COIE.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Best eras for DC.
    Number 1

Number 2
    Mid 90’s to early 2000’s

Couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    Excellent observations. I agree completely and these are among the reasons I would love to see DC embrace the Multiverse concept with actual planning and forethought again. Don't just have infinite universes to occasionally visit or reference, make a few of them pillars of regular publishing like DC did pre-COIE.
    Yeah, its a bit crazy that DC, which arguably popularized the concept of parallel earths in pop-culture for the first time, hasn't made use of the multiverse concept to its fullest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Couldn't agree more!

Yeah, its a bit crazy that DC, which arguably popularized the concept of parallel earths in pop-culture for the first time, hasn't made use of the multiverse concept to its fullest.
    It is indeed. Sadly, this has become DC's M.O. for years with regards to a lot of creative ideas. They have tons of potential at their disposal but either never realize it or come very close but still manage to fail. WB/DC should have had a DC multiverse project in theaters or on TV long before there was a Spider-Verse movie.

Extraordinary Member

What metric are you using to measure for success?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    What metric are you using to measure for success?
    "I liked it".

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh well then, DC's best year for me is the period where they have the most consistent continuity and I like the content

I haven't seen it

I've seen parts where they're consistent and where I like parts of the content, but they never overlap

There's always something

So I don't have eras I like best, just stories

As for second best era or the closest one I can't choose.

Early Rebirth has that annoying two Superman plot and Wonder Woman forgot her continuity. It's not clean.

Early New 52 has weird vibes because Bruce and Dick are too close in age.

Early Infinite... lol it's the most bloated and you're thrown smack dab in the middle of a basically new continuity where everything is canon without explanation.

Early Post Crisis, I like the origins enough, but not satisfying and I definitely don't like WW not being a founding member of JL.

Early Golden Age is fun but rough, unformed.

I have no idea. Maybe Early Golden Age because it annoys me the least out of everything. It's the one where I don't have to think.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-08-2022 at 07:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I would say that mid 80s to early 90s was great as well:

JLI/JLA/JLE
    L.E.G.I.O.N 89-93
    Levitz still writing LSH
    Invasion
    Superman revamp
    Wonder Woman revamp
    Death of Superman
    Legion 5YL

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    It is indeed. Sadly, this has become DC's M.O. for years with regards to a lot of creative ideas. They have tons of potential at their disposal but either never realize it or come very close but still manage to fail. WB/DC should have had a DC multiverse project in theaters or on TV long before there was a Spider-Verse movie.
    So very true and so very sad.

DC leaves so much money on the table...and we will never know how much.

DC allowed discrimination against it's own talent and characters (!). We will never know how many great stories were not written.