Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upcoming MCU

Mighty Member

Default upcoming MCU

So, I'm excited for what's coming down the pike for the MCU from Ironheart, She-Hulk, Secret Invasion so on and so forth. Should be great. But there's one lingering question on my mind. And again I realize it's only been 3 years. I'm surprised no one is asking or talking about it. What about Cap Steve Rodgers or Tony Stark Iron Man? Yes yes, Sam is Cap now and I'm looking forward to seeing his adventures. But at some point, I feel like Steve is going to come back. Tony sacrificed himself, yes but characters coming back in cinema and comics is nothing new. At some point these characters should come back it's just a question of how to do it. Because right now, the strongest anchors we have are Stephen Strange and Peter. And don't get me wrong they're rock solid anchors nothing wrong with that. But having Steve and Tony in the mix also would add to the strong foundation. So, yeah even if played by different actors, I think they should come back. And if RDJ and Chris Evans want to return even better.

And on a separate note, Phase 4 so far seems disjointed and disconnected and I'm sure that's probably the intention and I'm fine with that too. KF has hinted that things will start to look more cohesive and looking to see where that goes too.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

RDJ won't come back. Chris Evans...I think there's some very, very, very small wiggle room there but I give it less than 5%.

The flaw in your logic is assuming the characters are actually important, as opposed to their actors. Unless it's rDJ or Evans, there's absolutely no reason to bring those characters back.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The flaw in your logic is assuming the characters are actually important, as opposed to their actors. Unless it's rDJ or Evans, there's absolutely no reason to bring those characters back.
    We've had multiple Batmen Supermen, James Bonds and just recently 3 Spider-Men in one movie which people flocked to. so why not multiple Tony's and Steve's? And to the poster above, that's why I said IF they want to come back even better but if not I think Marvel can find the right actors. My point being, you can't keep these two characters off the table forever just because the actors don't want to come back. It's a disservice to actors who want their chance to put a stamp on the characters. You can't be afraid or resist change. I'm not saying they're the most important characters but it makes sense for them to be in the fold. And I also think we will see a different actor playing T'Challa at some point as well
    Last edited by CTTT; 07-06-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    RDJ won't come back. Chris Evans...I think there's some very, very, very small wiggle room there but I give it less than 5%.
    There's been a lot of rumors that Chris Evans had/has a more options available in his contract forever...

He did say he would reprise the Human Torch if they asked though! (A multi-verse appearance maybe....)

It feels like the next Phase of the MCU hasn't even gotten started yet...

Astonishing Member

I do think it's a waste to kill off characters instead of sidelining them. Pretty soon more major characters are going to be riding into the sunset and I don't think the heroes remaining will be able to draw in the audience from before. Especially all the new characters that are being introduced on Disney+. Will they be popular enough to attract the box office? Already the MCU has one casualty in the Eternals. There might not even be a sequel.

Bring back Cap, Iron Man, and Black Panther. Use different actors and in the future don't kill them off.
    Last edited by Colossus1980; 07-06-2022 at 11:02 PM.

They're not going to bring back Steve and Tony. They had complete character arcs and Marvel Studios is hoping to build new break-out characters that people love just as much.

Incredible Member

The reason no one is talking about Iron Man or Steve coming back is because they both had satisfying conclusions to their stories. Yes you could bring them back from the “dead” but why so soon?

We still have The Fantastic Four and X-Men waiting in the wings. The MCU doesn’t need Steve and Tony right now. I’m sure it’s inevitable that the characters will return at some point but there is no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    We've had multiple Batmen Supermen, James Bonds and just recently 3 Spider-Men in one movie which people flocked to. so why not multiple Tony's and Steve's? And to the poster above, that's why I said IF they want to come back even better but if not I think Marvel can find the right actors. My point being, you can't keep these two characters off the table forever just because the actors don't want to come back. It's a disservice to actors who want their chance to put a stamp on the characters. You can't be afraid or resist change. I'm not saying they're the most important characters but it makes sense for them to be in the fold. And I also think we will see a different actor playing T'Challa at some point as well
    None of those examples are the same as the MCU in any way. They were singular franchises that only had 1 character and not an entire universe built on their back not nearly as popular. Actors have plenty of opportunities to play characters. There's no "disservice" and that's silly hyperbole. The MCU has made it very clear they aren't recasting them and just regurgitating the same thing over and over, but moving on to new characters/arcs.

They aren't going to recast Steve or Tony anytime soon.

If we see Steve or Tony it will be Evans and RDJ. Why?

RDJ pretty much defined the role of Tony Stark like Christopher Reeve did Superman and Hugh Jackman did Wolverine there is going to have to be sometime before recasting. Now we could see RDJ back in a Flashback or as a A.I. but that's it. The whole rumor of Tom Cruise in Dr. Strange 2 was born from the fact Cruise was once a frontrunner for the Tony Stark character only a cameo wink and nod like that is how Tony gets temporally recast for the foreseeable future.

As for Evans we could possibly see him do a cameo as Old Steve, a DisneyPlus series on Steve's life with Peggy, or Steve as a Skrull impostor but that's it IMO and recasting just to have Steve back and take the mantle back from Sam is bad optics.

Truth is Studios recast because of 3 reasons.

1: They needed to keep the franchise going to hold onto rights (Looking at Sony).

2: Had tunnel vision for decades on they're big two (Looking at WB).

3: Disputes with actors (Looking at Phase 1 MCU).

But none of these apply to current Marvel Studios and thus I don't see them recasting Tony or Steve for many years. They have Legacy Characters, the FF, and X-Men to play with for a long time.

I agree with what some others have said. We dont need Steve and Tony back right now and I am fine with that.

We have a Captain America with Sam. Steve had a good end run so what would be the point to bring him back to short change Sam as Cap? That would not be well received for many reasons and nor should it be.

Tony also had a great ending with his arc. And you have Rhodes that can step into the Iron hero role. Why bring Tony back when we can explore his character more?

And With The Xmen, Fantastic Four coming up And all the hype around them I think Steve and Tony would be a bit boring any way. Same old Same old. Bring on the new Guys

Black Panther I think should be recast. I think it is a waste not to use him. But if they have someone else as Black Panther it wont be a big deal to me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree with what some others have said. We dont need Steve and Tony back right now and I am fine with that.

We have a Captain America with Sam. Steve had a good end run so what would be the point to bring him back to short change Sam as Cap? That would not be well received for many reasons and nor should it be.

Tony also had a great ending with his arc. And you have Rhodes that can step into the Iron hero role. Why bring Tony back when we can explore his character more?

And With The Xmen, Fantastic Four coming up And all the hype around them I think Steve and Tony would be a bit boring any way. Same old Same old. Bring on the new Guys

Black Panther I think should be recast. I think it is a waste not to use him. But if they have someone else as Black Panther it wont be a big deal to me.
    That's like saying because Mustang produces newer model cars that no one will want to buy and drive the classic 1965/66 model. Which has proven to be false because time has proven that people have wanted to collect and drive the classic model. Same concept applies to Tony and Steve. You can still tell stories with the FF Namor, X-Men, etc. and include the classic characters. Imagine seeing Tony interacting with Professor Xavier or Steve interacting with Reed Richards or Rogue. Possibilities are endless. And as far as same old same old, it doesn't have to be that way. One could continue Tony and Steve's story in new and interesting ways. It doesn't have to be wash rinse repeat.

Niffleheim

There is more chance to bring back Evans' Cap after Mackie's story has concluded than seeing RDJ's Iron Man back (unless he's brought back as a variant or a hologram)
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    That's like saying because Mustang produces newer model cars that no one will want to buy and drive the classic 1965/66 model. Which has proven to be false because time has proven that people have wanted to collect and drive the classic model. Same concept applies to Tony and Steve. You can still tell stories with the FF Namor, X-Men, etc. and include the classic characters. Imagine seeing Tony interacting with Professor Xavier or Steve interacting with Reed Richards or Rogue. Possibilities are endless. And as far as same old same old, it doesn't have to be that way. One could continue Tony and Steve's story in new and interesting ways. It doesn't have to be wash rinse repeat.
    That’s a bad analogy. The new Mustang is Sam/Cap. If you want the old model Mustang (Steve/Cap) then you can watch the old movies starring him. Ford stopped making that model but you can still get an old one but they aren’t making any more.

Captain America lives on. Steve Rodgers gets the rest he deserves.

My question is what would Steve's Role be if he comes back? Is he going to be Captain America again? Turn Sam back into a side kick? Having Steve come back as Captain America would 100 percent undermine all the story and growth Sam has gone through.

Have him come back in another role? Maybe? But I do not want to see Steve back as Cap. If they recast Evans and have a New Steve Rodgers fine. But I dont want him as Cap unless they are telling WW2 Stories or some stories where he went back in time to live with Peggy.

Sam has always been one of my favorite characters. I dont want his story robbed and him demoted back to side kick.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.