Default Creator of Yu-Gi-Oh! manga found dead at 60

Kazuki Takahashi, whose popular manga comic series Yu-Gi-Oh! became a global franchise including TV shows, films and a hugely successful card game, has been found dead in the sea in Japan.

The 60-year-old died after an apparent snorkelling trip near the southern Okinawa Island, the coastguard said.

He was found off the coast wearing an underwater mask, snorkel and fins, an official for the city of Nago added.

"We are investigating the case as both a possible accident or crime," he said.

Yu-Gi-Oh!, which means King of Games, is about spiky-haired teenager Yugi, who receives an ancient puzzle that awakens in him the alter ego of an Egyptian pharaoh. He then solves conflicts using games.

It was published in Japanese comic magazine Shonen Jump between 1996 and 2004, and in 1999 was turned into a real-life trading card game.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-62076080

Astonishing Member

RIP, Mr. Takahashi. Huge fan of your manga, anime(its sequels too) and game.

This...this is an utter punch in the gut.

Yu-Gi-Oh! was such a huge part of my childhood and got me into the whole card game phenomenon and I've followed it from every spinoff, new season, and variant of the game and series to this very day. And I still remember religiously watching the original Dual Monsters anime as a kid.

And to have him go out like this...he deserved so much better.

RIP Takahashi-san. Thank you for all that you did as a creator and mangaka, from coming up with such an amazing franchise with so many great designs/characters, to in general just being who you are. Your legacy will live on.

Truly a sad loss. My condolences to all his friends & loved ones. The Creator (R.I.P.)

A great writer and artist, who helped create a great game and so many fantastic characters. Rest in Peace and thanks for the games.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This...this is an utter punch in the gut.

Yu-Gi-Oh! was such a huge part of my childhood and got me into the whole card game phenomenon and I've followed it from every spinoff, new season, and variant of the game and series to this very day. And I still remember religiously watching the original Dual Monsters anime as a kid.

And to have him go out like this...he deserved so much better.

RIP Takahashi-san. Thank you for all that you did as a creator and mangaka, from coming up with such an amazing franchise with so many great designs/characters, to in general just being who you are. Your legacy will live on.
    Agree with everything you said.