Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

I don't think Hickman is much for long term character development (though I think he put forward some lovely individual moments) but he's a great one for generating ideas and asking questions. I do think Krakoa lost a lot of its world building momentum without him. Does seem like that's coming back with Ewing and Gillen on high profile titles, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I don't think Hickman is much for long term character development (though I think he put forward some lovely individual moments) but he's a great one for generating ideas and asking questions. I do think Krakoa lost a lot of its world building momentum without him. Does seem like that's coming back with Ewing and Gillen on high profile titles, though.
    This is how I feel as well. There were singular moments between characters sprinkled throughout that I enjoyed.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    It's probably the Squadron Supreme, i mean they recruited Red Widow after she got burned by her leaders and we haven't heard from them in a while and they came from a reality where mutants were on the lower end of the food chain.
    My thought as well
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Regarding the Gala, I'm still wondering what's going to happen with Mary Jane since the official guide mentioned Spider-Man's "destiny is all too intertwined with that of the Krakoan mutants due to certain new developments in their resurrection protocols." There's a lot happening at the event what with the new team, the public revelation of the protocols, etc.
    Mmmm.... Resurrection Protocols => The Five => Proteus => Moira => Mary Jane => Peter Parker.

Moira is going to try to manipulate Proteus into messing with the Resurrection Protocols, and since she has kidnapped Mary Jane and is using her image to infiltrate the Gala, Spider-man and probably Iron Man are going to get involved...

But, what would be the point? Proteus is replaceable... if she turns the current Proteus to her side, they can kill him and clone a new Proteus to take his place... one whose mind has been conveniently edited by Xavier...

You know, I have realized... if Moira wanted to go back to being an organic, she could probably find some DNA of herself somewhere, combing the places where she has lived, clone a new body and transfer her mind back... but she probably would consider that worthless. since she couldn't reset reality back to before she met Xavier...

Maybe she should try to send her mind back in time to her old mutant body, like Wolverine and Omega Red did, and reset reality while her future mind is in her past body...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Since when does prison actually hold super-villains? They may even escape from 'em offscreen .

I think Shadowcat is a reviewer, and gets some comics earlier.
    Well the people sent to the Pit were let out by Cypher so not much of an escape.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    Really? I feel the contrary. Hickman felt very lacking in terms of characterization, with characters acting out of character mostly or having little to no character at all.

Only exceptions were Cyclops, Emma Frost, Mystique, Nightcrawler (to some extent, not fully) and Magneto in my opinion. House of X was a great start, but as far as his X-Books to Inferno went, I didn’t get very good character interactions coming from Hickman’s run. Not bad per se, but his Jean was very underutilized, his Moira felt butchered after an interesting start, his Apocalypse lost his edge (though this new direction is interesting), Xavier was completely assassinated, Storm was underutilized like Jean in some respects, and even Orchis came off very weak as an antagonist, despite them being over-hyped in the books as the greatest threat to Krakoa.

In contrast, while the books are hit or Miss after Hickman, I do get more character dynamics outside of Hickman during his era and especially after he left.
    It's honestly incredible that Hickman made Nimrod be created in 616, and he's one of the biggest threats to mutants, yet, Inferno itself made him not look that threatening after his fight with Magneto, and that's the best thing Orchis had, now they don't have Nimrod or even Omega Sentinel, how are they still a threat? Best things they have right now is Racist Sinister and Moira.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    You know, I have realized... if Moira wanted to go back to being an organic, she could probably find some DNA of herself somewhere, combing the places where she has lived, clone a new body and transfer her mind back... but she probably would consider that worthless. since she couldn't reset reality back to before she met Xavier...

Maybe she should try to send her mind back in time to her old mutant body, like Wolverine and Omega Red did, and reset reality while her future mind is in her past body...?
    Dude, she's enough of an Omega Sentinel clone right now, OS herself did that to her past self, should Moira really rip her off again? Lol.

Honestly though, I doubt Moira is ever getting her old body back in any way, she could become organic again, but it's unlikely they'll allow the possibility of her dying and reseting 616 that far back again, it's bad enough Sinister uses her clones like a save state.

Unless you're talking about hypothetical ways she could get her old body back but won't be done 'cause Marvel characters can't be that pragmatic, and in such case, yeah, she could find a way to do mental time travel, kill herself, use life 11 to secretly power herself up with Sundown's serum/Ionic Ray/Cell Stimulator/Parker Particles/whatever else/all of them without planning to interfere with mutant shit so Destiny doesn't go after her too early, then just leave Earth 'cause the planet ain't worth it or somethin' like that .

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Well the people sent to the Pit were let out by Cypher so not much of an escape.
    The Pit is an exception to the rule .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This whole issue was trash.
    Could you pm me who those Avengers were ?
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Mighty Member

Mmmm.... Resurrection Protocols => The Five => Proteus => Moira => Mary Jane => Peter Parker.

Moira is going to try to manipulate Proteus into messing with the Resurrection Protocols, and since she has kidnapped Mary Jane and is using her image to infiltrate the Gala, Spider-man and probably Iron Man are going to get involved...

But, what would be the point? Proteus is replaceable... if she turns the current Proteus to her side, they can kill him and clone a new Proteus to take his place... one whose mind has been conveniently edited by Xavier...

Who can they replace Proteus with? Franklin is no longer a reality warping mutant nor does he have his powers currently. And as for Jamie, I highly doubt they could compel, force, coerce or threaten him to join the Five and l don't believe he cares nor would he leave Otherworld. Also Proteus is a being of pure pisonic energy, I think he would be extremely difficult to resurrect. Of all the Five I think Proteus is the most indispensible.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Who can they replace Proteus with? Franklin is no longer a reality warping mutant nor does he have his powers currently. And as for Jamie, I highly doubt they could compel, force, coerce or threaten him to join the Five and l don't believe he cares nor would he leave Otherworld. Also Proteus is a being of pure pisonic energy, I think he would be extremely difficult to resurrect. Of all the Five I think Proteus is the most indispensible.
    Legion could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    to secretly power herself up with Sundown's serum/Ionic Ray/Cell Stimulator/Parker Particles/whatever else/all of them without planning to interfere with mutant shit so Destiny doesn't go after her too early, then just leave Earth 'cause the planet ain't worth it or somethin' like that .
    Honestly, that's what any reasonable person with the ability to do so would try to do... Earth 616 is a hellhole that suffers several near-extinction events every year, and there is a list of civilized, cozy planets and dimensions inhabited by humanlike beings as long as my arm...

I said it in my post: With another clone of Proteus, a backup form before he learned about Moira. Add a few tweaks to make him more docile and obedient and to trust Xavier, and done...

Xavier keeps several "shells" of the Five hidden, so he could do it by himself.
    Last edited by Habis; 07-09-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Honestly, that's what any reasonable person with the ability to do so would try to do... Earth 616 is a hellhole that suffers several near-extinction events every year, and there is a list of civilized, cozy planets and dimensions inhabited by humanlike beings as long as my arm...

I said it in my post: With another clone of Proteus, a backup form before he learned about Moira. Add a few tweaks to make him more docile and obedient and to trust Xavier, and done...

Xavier keeps several "shells" of the Five hidden, so he could do it by himself.
    Maybe QQ has a few spare parts he left in his closet to bequeath to the cause. Though I figure he just makes Cuckoo sex dolls since he is too odious to just maintain a normal relationship.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    If it was there with Hickman and back with Ewing and Gillen, when did it go away? The only gap between them we had basically one event come out (X Lives/Deaths).

Astonishing Member

For what it's worth, there ARE actually a number of powerful reality warping mutants who could feasibly take Proteus' place or be part of an expansion of the Five, if the writers ever go in either of those directions. To be clear, none of these characters are termed omega level reality warpers like Legion, Proteus or Jamie Braddock (and Absolom Mercator, though he's not technically a reality warper, just generally treated as 'might as well be.') However, that's largely because all of these characters are pretty damn obscure, and/or haven't been used in decades, so there's never really been any possibility of them being established as omegas.

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, other reality warping mutants who could feasibly be used:

Joseph "Licorice" Calhoun - with the caveat that although he only ever appeared in one arc, where he was dreaming due to Stuff Bad Guys Did, he has technically only ever used his reality warping while in a sleep state, though its unclear if that means he CAN'T use them when he's awake.

Dia Sloane

Sunset Grace

Leonard Gary - The full extent of Leonard's power was never shown, but at the very least, the form of reality warping he used to animate statues and create spirit-like entities would suggest his powers could fill the same role Proteus' do within The Five.

Trevor Chase - Destiny's grandson, via her daughter Justine, we also never saw much of his powers since he only had a couple of issues before his disappearance, but his powers were described as a powerful form of reality warping. And considering the new history between Irene and Moira, there would DEFINITELY be a certain thematic impact to Irene's grandson potentially taking over Kevin's role in The Five if he DID ever switch sides to join forces with his mother against Krakoa.

Sketch - Like Calhoun, using Sketch as part of The Five would take some fine-tuning since her form of reality warping requires she draw what she wants to see happen and reality changes to accommodate it, but writers could make it work if they wanted to, and hell, I always liked her and just would like an excuse for her to come back.

Willie Evans Jr.

Those are the ones who would most easily fit the bill, but there are a couple other possibilities:

In addition, there's Negasonic Teenage Warhead, whose powers have gone all over the place, but definitely included reality warping at some point (and no, I'm not talking about the 'fake' Ellie from Whedon's run, she's definitely been utilized as a reality warper since then, but they'd just need to clarify once and for all what her powers actually are). Also, they could feasibly say that Cosmar could do the job at some point in the future, with enough training and understanding of her powers.

And of course, there's always Mad Jim Jaspers, but he's a dick and you'd run into the same problem as getting Jamie Braddock to play ball.

Also, writers could always introduce a 616 version of Elliot Boggs aka Magician from the Ultimate Marvel universe.

Additionally, James Jankovicz aka Jimmy Jupiter was referenced as a possible mutant, with no definitive origins for his powers given one way or another, and there's one last possibility, Gaia, from Generation X, who writers went back and forth on whether she was an alien or a mutant, without ever definitively saying for sure. They DID have Synch copy her reality-warping abilities, and this was way back when his powers were specifically noted as ONLY working on other mutant abilities, so that was always a big indicator that Gaia was actually a mutant.

*Shrugs*

Anyway, just saying, when it comes to reality-warping mutants in specific, there are more of them than I think most people realize, lol. That particular slot of The Five isn't necessarily that hard to fill, its just a matter of establishing one of these other candidates as being powerful enough to get the job done.....and given some of their feats, I think whether they're termed omega level or not, most of them are more than capable.

If the writers really wanted to branch out or experiment with putting another reality warper in Proteus' position, or just single one out as a possible back-up for him, I think Leonard Gary, Sunset Grace, Dia Sloane, Trevor Chase, or Willie Evans Jr. could easily work. Plus, several of them are characters of color, which we could always use more of in high profile roles in the books, or like I said with Trevor, there's the added narrative bonus of him being Irene's grandson, which juxtaposes well with Kevin being Moira's son.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 07-09-2022 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Also, writers could always introduce a 616 version of Elliot Boggs aka Magician from the Ultimate Marvel universe.
    I love Elliot, so having him use his powers to somehow cross into 616 would be great for me. Considering his exit from the X-Men at the end of his story, it would even make sense for him to want to leave his home universe and go somewhere else. I know we could just get a new version of him, but I want our Elliot to have a happy ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    If it was there with Hickman and back with Ewing and Gillen, when did it go away? The only gap between them we had basically one event come out (X Lives/Deaths).
    I'd say a better stretch to pinpoint would actually be end of HOX/POX till Gillen came in.