Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Mary with a temper? She and Supergirl basically are the same at this point .
    Feels like this is some kind of a default template for strong female heroes, no?

I am really looking forward to this. I love Mary always have. Ya they changed her but it goes with the times. Give her some spotlight. Just give us Billy as well.

I honestly believe the Shazam character and family and mythos is one of the coolest things in comics.

DC is really pushing the culture with Black Adam movie, Shazam 2, Black Adam comic going on with a new Black Adam, Mary getting the spotlight in her own series. I hope they do this right. I really love all of these characters.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Feels like this is some kind of a default template for strong female heroes, no?
    Feels like people are self-conscious about girly or "pure" nice girls so they always have to have a temper or aggressive side or something.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I'm really looking forward to this series. I never had any doubts that it would look amazing with Doc on art, but Josie Campbell is new to me...however, I like what I have read from the interview and hope that translates into a very good series. I have learned though, that many times, a good interview does not always translate into even a decent run. But at least it will look good if nothing else.

I’m looking forward to this… Mary has been an underrepresented character for too long… (Or turned evil for a plot point over character development.)

I’ve always wanted to see Mary, Wonder Girl, Supergirl, Power Girl and Ms. Martian form a friendship and alliance together.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I’m looking forward to this… Mary has been an underrepresented character for too long… (Or turned evil for a plot point over character development.)

I’ve always wanted to see Mary, Wonder Girl, Supergirl, Power Girl and Ms. Martian form a friendship and alliance together.
    We need more female hero team-ups and friendships .

The others make sense, but when do we ever see both Karas together?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The others make sense, but when do we ever see both Karas together?
    Well, there was a Super Family picnic issue by Kurt Busiek...

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Hoppy the Marvel Bunny is back!

Sure, the story of Mary wanting to find her own voice is really well done and instantly relatable but Campbell's choice to fully and unapologetically embrace the inherent feeling of pure fun that surrounds the Marvel family is the real bright spot here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Just read issue 1 of 4 and found it to be really fun and exciting! And hoppy the magic bunny was great. I hope Bianca and Cassidy are well featured so we get fun friendship stories as well as a focus on Mary's school life.

Excellent start!

Incredible Member

Liked it over all, but disappointed that this series is only a mini-series. As for the content in this issue: liked Mary's new look, liked Hoppy, Mary's familiar, don't mind that Mary has a temper, but I am concerned about the "five times more powerful" thing, implying that the old power-sharing=decreased power is still around. Looking forward to the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Feels like people are self-conscious about girly or "pure" nice girls so they always have to have a temper or aggressive side or something.
    I agree it's becoming quite the troupe, and isn't necessary with Mary (Kara, I'll accept since Clark has a temper as well, no matter how tight he keeps a lid on it).

But I figure they're just doing what Johns did with Billy; adding a little bit of a rough edge to make the kids seem more "real" and make the foster home feel more like a family in contrast. You'd assume that going through the foster system and bouncing around houses (some of them perhaps not great places to be) after being abandoned by your parents would leave somebody a little pissed off, yknow? I know "purity" is a classic Captain Marvel theme and Billy's innate goodness was why he was chosen by the Wizard originally, but I think it works better when Billy and his siblings aren't just naturally perfect, pure people. "Good is something you do, not something you are" yknow?

And in the story itself the idea of Mary having anger issues is mentioned but never shown. For all the impact it has on her character and story she could have said that she really likes pineapple pizza. Her feeling confined within herself by the people around her....that's not really a "anger" thing, that's a "teenager in a house full of people" thing.

Issue itself was fantastic. Exactly what I like to get from the Shazamily; character-driven plot, silly magic talking animals, emotional pathos (that panel with Darla in bed? SO sad!), and ridiculous villains. This franchise is the Harry Potter of DC and I think it works best when writers lean into that YA/magic sensibility.

Adding it to the pull list for sure, looking forward to where it goes. Reading it as a bedtime story for my little girl as soon as we finish the manga we're almost done with. Art was incredible, colors were great....only complaint is that this is only four issues instead of six!

This is the kind of comic DC needs to make more often.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree it's becoming quite the troupe, and isn't necessary with Mary (Kara, I'll accept since Clark has a temper as well, no matter how tight he keeps a lid on it).

But I figure they're just doing what Johns did with Billy; adding a little bit of a rough edge to make the kids seem more "real" and make the foster home feel more like a family in contrast. You'd assume that going through the foster system and bouncing around houses (some of them perhaps not great places to be) after being abandoned by your parents would leave somebody a little pissed off, yknow? I know "purity" is a classic Captain Marvel theme and Billy's innate goodness was why he was chosen by the Wizard originally, but I think it works better when Billy and his siblings aren't just naturally perfect, pure people. "Good is something you do, not something you are" yknow?

And in the story itself the idea of Mary having anger issues is mentioned but never shown. For all the impact it has on her character and story she could have said that she really likes pineapple pizza. Her feeling confined within herself by the people around her....that's not really a "anger" thing, that's a "teenager in a house full of people" thing.

Issue itself was fantastic. Exactly what I like to get from the Shazamily; character-driven plot, silly magic talking animals, emotional pathos (that panel with Darla in bed? SO sad!), and ridiculous villains. This franchise is the Harry Potter of DC and I think it works best when writers lean into that YA/magic sensibility.

Adding it to the pull list for sure, looking forward to where it goes. Reading it as a bedtime story for my little girl as soon as we finish the manga we're almost done with. Art was incredible, colors were great....only complaint is that this is only four issues instead of six!

This is the kind of comic DC needs to make more often.
    I remember the Bromfields being rich and kind/supportive parents, but I guess that's too "lucky" for an origin story .

I think it's fine for the kids to be naturally earnest and innocent depending on how you execute it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Learn from Ms. Marvel, eh?

Though the line is slightly off, it should be "Good is not a thing you are, it's a thing you do".
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Me too, I've always wanted to see a A-Force type of title from DC. They have way too many good female characters to explore and their last few BOP titles aren't cutting it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8