Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is the Scarlet Witch to powerful for Marvels creators to use ?

The Scarlet Witch was once one of the first characters thought of when people heard the Avengers mentioned.
    Back in the 70's and 80's Wanda was an regular member of the Avengers with her hex powers.
    Wanda was a main character in Kurt Busieks/George Perez' Avengers run.
    Since Avengers disassembled Wanda found that she had reality warping powers, and creators have pretty much stayed away from her.
    Should Wanda be powered down to Doctor Strange level magic powers for Marvel creators to show an interest in using her regularly again ?.
    How could Marvel depower Wanda ?.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 07-11-2022 at 04:20 AM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Marvel overpowered so many characters and they use them. The X-Men are practically gods that writers have to pretend they can't do everything and end everything in one second. Hickman was actually honest with them being unrelatable and terraforming other planets and when they included Wanda in one of their stories she made them immortal, making herself a god practically.

Extraordinary Member

The problem is never really about power, they simply don't believe she is worth investing for some reason.

Extraordinary Member

Her power levels in Avengers Disassembled/House of M were explaned away in "Young Avengers: The Children's Crusade" as being the result of an outside power source that made her omnipotent. In that series, she lost the power and went back to her old power levels. People just think Disassembled/HoM are her normal power level because they are her most (sigh) famous stories, but she never actually had that kind of power anywhere else before or after.

Her powers are whatever the writer wants them to be, even more than most characters, so no, it's not because of her power levels that the Avengers comics won't use her; she's been in Avengers stories where her power did not overshadow the rest of the team. They don't want to use her because they don't want to use her.

I honestly don't think so. I mean Thor is here and he is even called a god and where are the people having a problem with that? Sure he isn't Runeking Thor all the time but then neither is Wanda constantly at House of M power level. There are always fluctuations to it.

That being said both are powerhouses and should be treated as such. I like that the few recent appearances of Wanda have kept true to that. She is neither infallible nor solves everything on her own but she is a heavy hitter. Im not interested in seeing stories that try to act otherwise. Im not a fan of jobbing as a story telling tool. If you can't get creative enough to challenge a hero without turning them into incompetent and powerless idiots then just let it be. I rather have fewer stories in that case. There are currently some ongoing discussions regarding Jean Grey when it comes to this and her Omega Level status and the Phoenix stuff. Storm fans like to use "lightning lass" for all the stories that don't give her the due she should deserve.

Being a magic user is the real crux here. How many well-developed magic characters are there in the Marvel Universe? Even Dr. Strange goes through huge changes when it comes to his powers. Magic is one of the cornerstones of Fantasy fiction and yet as soon as people don't punch each other many comic book writers are apparently at a loss and have no idea what to do. Even the MCU is partially guilty of this.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Her power levels in Avengers Disassembled/House of M were explaned away in "Young Avengers: The Children's Crusade" as being the result of an outside power source that made her omnipotent. In that series, she lost the power and went back to her old power levels. People just think Disassembled/HoM are her normal power level because they are her most (sigh) famous stories, but she never actually had that kind of power anywhere else before or after.

Her powers are whatever the writer wants them to be, even more than most characters, so no, it's not because of her power levels that the Avengers comics won't use her; she's been in Avengers stories where her power did not overshadow the rest of the team. They don't want to use her because they don't want to use her.
    Darkhold: Alpha actually states that this was her own power.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I believe it's just some weird wording.
    Wanda refered to Life Force when confronting Doom and compared it to Darkhold arguing it's a form of power not meant to be controlled by Doom.
    Wanda used the term "my power" since she technically hold it before Doom, but it's not like it returns to Wanda after that event.
    "Her own power" which stays post-TCC is her genetic-based/spiritual-based ones, at that time her being a mutant/also the mark of Chthon.
    Life Force is simply not of her base equation no matter how you look at it.

Also she cannot do AD/HOM level stuff at will post-TCC, so I think the situation is pretty clear here.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 07-11-2022 at 09:22 AM.

No, it's just once Bendis breaks a character they stay broken, see Jon Kent over at DC for another example of this.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    The Scarlet Witch was once one of the first characters thought of when people heard the Avengers mentioned.
    Back in the 70's and 80's Wanda was an regular member of the Avengers with her hex powers.
    Wanda was a main character in Kurt Busieks/George Perez' Avengers run.
    Since Avengers disassembled Wanda found that she had reality warping powers, and creators have pretty much stayed away from her.
    Should Wanda be powered down to Doctor Strange level magic powers for Marvel creators to show an interest in using her regularly again ?.
    How could Marvel depower Wanda ?.
    There isn't any character too powerful to use, because there are always ways of creating limits to power. And Wanda in comics is not like Wanda in the MCU. The times she has been uber has been when she's been tapping into some outside source for power.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Alpha is the only exception to this, but she's also not affecting things on some multiversal level and in the book it takes both her and Doom working together to outsmart Chthon.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I believe it's just some weird wording.
    Wanda refered to Life Force when confronting Doom and compared it to Darkhold arguing it's a form of power not meant to be controlled by Doom.
    Wanda used the term "my power" since she technically hold it before Doom, but it's not like it returns to Wanda after that event.
    "Her own power" which stays post-TCC is her genetic-based/spiritual-based ones, at that time her being a mutant/also the mark of Chthon.
    Life Force is simply not of her base equation no matter how you look at it.

Also she cannot do AD/HOM level stuff at wheel post-TCC, so I think the situation is pretty clear here.
    Yeah I really feel like she meant the power she took to bring back her sons and not her own power. Since it was very obviously taken from her and she never returned to those levels of power.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    No, it's just once Bendis breaks a character they stay broken, see Jon Kent over at DC for another example of this.
    Not a DC reader and what happened to Jon Kent?

I would prefer Wanda be powered down, and then used more

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Not a DC reader and what happened to Jon Kent?
    Bendis happened. He took a popular kid character and then aged him up destroying any popularity the character built up.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Marvel overpowered so many characters and they use them. The X-Men are practically gods that writers have to pretend they can't do everything and end everything in one second. Hickman was actually honest with them being unrelatable and terraforming other planets and when they included Wanda in one of their stories she made them immortal, making herself a god practically.
    Definitely this. Pretty much every mutant these days is, or acts Omega. Powering up characters seems to be a shortcut for developing them. Wanda is but one example.