Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How do you feel about superhero films NOT based on comics?

Some have sucked, some have been spectacular, but with the Marvel/DC flicks dominating the box office every few months, wouldn't you like to see something new?

Below are my 10 favourite superhero films not based on comics (please note that not all feature super powered folk, but they do dress up in comic-style attire to fight crime/injustice):

1) The Matrix
    Everyone loved this film and for good reason.

2) Mirageman
    Not many have heard of this but if you love martial arts and absurd humour (i.e. how ridiculous Spiderman would look sneaking around the city in broad daylight without his web-slinging ability), you have to check it out. It's Chilean, so be prepared to read subtitles.

3) Unbreakable
    An origin story done right (damn it!).

4) The Incredibles
    Family fun and better than all the Toy Story flicks combined, in my opinion.

5) Hancock
    Fans complained that there wasn't a super villain, but did Will Smith really need one to make an awesome film? Not for me.

6) Limitless
    Come on, if it's about how taking a pill equates to super brains, that would qualify this film for the list. It's a completely new take on the genre though, and 100x more intelligent than The Avengers for it (and yes, I also preferred this).

7) Chronicle
    I pretty much hate the "found footage" genre, but this one was very good. Another origin story done different, it's well worth anyone's time.

8) K-20: Legend of the Mask
    Okay, I'm cheating because this is based on a novel, but it did show that the Japanese can rival Hollywood for the outrageous.

9) Darkman
    Before Raimi did Spiderman he did a Batman-type dude who could change his face. Good entertainment.

10) Megamind
    Another kids' film but well worth watching with them.

Your opinions are appreciated.

I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been a bigger push to create brand new superhero movies from the studios. The Matrix, the Incredibles, Chronicle and Megamind are some great movies. The Incredibles was one of the most satisfying superhero experiences I've been through. I really would like to see Hollywood try to come up with quality new properties.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been a bigger push to create brand new superhero movies from the studios. The Matrix, the Incredibles, Chronicle and Megamind are some great movies. The Incredibles was one of the most satisfying superhero experiences I've been through. I really would like to see Hollywood try to come up with quality new properties.
    It's easier to sell to the execs when their is already a story and pictures to show them. They like things that were aklready successful, and they aren't big on originality.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    It's easier to sell to the execs when their is already a story and pictures to show them. They like things that were aklready successful, and they aren't big on originality.
    Perhaps. I would still like to see some attempts, though. We are getting a lot of stuff from established companies like Marvel and DC. I would like to see more attempts from Image or Dark Horse. I am very curious to see if anyone can successfully pull off Invincible.

However, I would like to see some of the studios attempting new properties based on original scripts, as well.

Perhaps. I would still like to see some attempts, though. We are getting a lot of stuff from established companies like Marvel and DC. I would like to see more attempts from Image or Dark Horse. I am very curious to see if anyone can successfully pull off Invincible.

However, I would like to see some of the studios attempting new properties based on original scripts, as well.
    I'd like that as well, it's just that I think the studios are reluctant to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I'd like that as well, it's just that I think the studios are reluctant to do it.
    With something like The Hunger Games books being very successful adaptations, maybe the studios would prefer more "original" properties if they were books that sell? Maybe more young adult type books based around superheroes can be converted, if someone were to come up with a series of books.

Just spit-balling, so to speak...

BANNED

The thing is almost none of those are studio films, they're pretty much all things the directors developed themselves, and it just doesn't seem like there are that many people trying to get there own superhero movie developed. That being said, the original ones seems to be the best superhero movies we get.

Super was great, that came out a few years ago. And Alejandro González Iñárritu's new movie Birdman looks like it could be really good.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Watch Super (2010). IMO better than most of these superhero movies.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

I'll check it out - I'd heard of it but figured it another Defendor sort of thing (which wasn't my cup of tea, shall we say?).

It's great that some of you would love to see more original characters in production; as a writer-director, we're working on a completely original project... but I really couldn't label it as "superhero" given the Hollywood moulding of the genre.

Has anyone seen Lucy yet?
    It looked like an Akira clone but I'm a big fan of Scarlett, so will see it sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    I'll check it out - I'd heard of it but figured it another Defendor sort of thing (which wasn't my cup of tea, shall we say?).
    It's better than Defendor IMO.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512235/

Don't read the comments. Too many spoilers.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Incredible Member

At least with something original there won't be thousands of fans crying about how different the movie is from the comic and how it ruined the character.

BANNED

I've always wanted to see Darkman brought back as a comic.

doesn't Dynamite own him now?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    I love "Super" too, but I feel someone should warn you Viva- without giving anything away, there are some shocking images in there (one in particular near the end) that you will never be able to unsee, so be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    I love "Super" too, but I feel someone should warn you Viva- without giving anything away, there are some shocking images in there (one in particular near the end) that you will never be able to unsee, so be prepared.
    Super is what Kick-Ass was supposed to be, but with more humor and violence.
    When the fire blows

Incredible Member

Was Jet Li's "Black Mask" ever a comic? Because that was awesome.