Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Artists and Writers who work very well together

With the announcement of a new title by Dan Slott and Mark Bagley, I start thinking about whether these are two people who I would expect to work well together. Obviously, we'll find out soon enough. And that got me thinking about writers and artists who are a good match for one another in the Spider-Man comics.

Some that come to mind...

JM DeMatteis and Sal Buscema
    I think the way Sal Buscema's art evolved in the 1990s was a great fit for JM DeMatteis. He's a good fit for freaks and psychological drama.

Dan Slott and Marcos Martin/ Ramón Pérez/ Ty Templeton
    Slott has done excellent work with artists who have a different style, but there's something about his approach that is a great fit for artists who have a classic retro style.

Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley
    Bagley can make conversations interesting, so I could see why they wanted him on 100+ issues of Bendis' dialogue-heavy Ultimate Spider-Man.

Howard Mackie and John Romita Jr
    Romita's done better work, but he is a great street level artist and it was a good pairing to have him with Mackie on that type of title.

Stan Lee and John Romita Sr.
    Stan Lee loves soap opera stuff, and John Romita Sr. was the perfect choice for a different take on Spider-Man, when Peter Parker was in college and got to be a bit more popular than when he was a loner in high school.

How about you guys? Who are the best fits and why? These may be people who would poor choices for Spider-Man under most circumstances, but who work well in a specific context.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 07-11-2022 at 04:07 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets