Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Love the film, but Sonny's infamous whiffed punch in The Godfather always makes me cringe.

Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member

Star Trek 2. My 2nd favorite movie of all time, but how did no one in Star Fleet or on the Reliant realize that an entire planet was missing in a system they had fully mapped out? Modern technology could probably detect if an entire planet went missing in certain star systems many light years from Earth and Starfleet sensors which are practically magic never noticed? There is no excuse for no one realizing that a system that used to have 6 planets now had only 5.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well Sonny did say and I'm paraphrasing a bit because I don't remember it word for word a hit wasn't the same as killing someone across a battle field you have to get close and look them in the eye and the blood will probably splash on your nice coat.

As for the rest laughing I thought it was over the idea of killing a cop which was taboo. But as Michael pointed out the cop in question was crooked.
    I can see your point. The Pacific Island battles, however, were some of the nastiest stuff to go down in WWII outside Stalingrad, often at point blank range, and the news of the time was full of it. I suppose it can be dismissed as Sonny, et al. having no idea just how bad the war had been, but the whole way it played out, including Michael more or less taking the derision, just didn't sit well with me. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Star Trek 2. My 2nd favorite movie of all time, but how did no one in Star Fleet or on the Reliant realize that an entire planet was missing in a system they had fully mapped out? Modern technology could probably detect if an entire planet went missing in certain star systems many light years from Earth and Starfleet sensors which are practically magic never noticed? There is no excuse for no one realizing that a system that used to have 6 planets now had only 5.
    Not to mention the fact that Starfleet's database didn't seem to be updated to note that "hey, if you're in the Ceti Alpha system, watch out for Ceti Alpha V, 'cause the captain of the Enterprise dumped a dangerous superhuman and his superhuman army there for some damn fool reason."

I mean, you'd think they'd have dropped some warning buoys or something.

Still a damn fine movie, though.

Extraordinary Member

The Last Duel - I would have adapted more of Marguerite de Thuberville’s actual testimony about her assault by Jacques Le Gris, as well as how her determination to see the trial through in the face of possibly being burned to death for perjury swung many outside observers her way.

I get that Affleck and Damon wanted to try and make Jacques more applicable to modern day party boys getting lost in fantasies resulting in assaulter, but the actual testimony form history made a stringer statement about the sheer balls and arrogance of assaulters, and Margeuritte’s greater expression of agency and guts makes a more powerful statement as well.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    They also should have noticed an asteroid belt just beyond what they thought was the sixth planet. Probably had an unstable core, like a certain planet that starts with a "K."
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - the Ewoks could have used a lot more traps and captured blasters against the stormtroopers to make their “cavalry” moment more authentic. I actually really liked the Ewoks as a kid, and I still think their best traps and assaults are great, and approve of Lucas being willing to kill them on screen as well. But just a few more blasters in their ranks and a few pit traps and such would have gone a long way towards shutting bitter Generation X babies up about them being “kiddie fare.”

The Batman - Making the Riddler himself the Zodiac killer, complete with crazy rants and singing. He’s just… too much parody material trying too hard to match the Joker’s *exact* evolution into a terrorist. I would have kept the Zodiac-esque killers and Riddler’ followers… but made it so Riddler is manipulating his followers into doing the killings because he wants his own shot at the Renewal fund, to drive home that he’s a rational but sociopathic mastermind, and amp up his cleverness beyond John Doe from Se7en. Even the flooding plan could be made into his original distraction plan while he escapes with the money.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Make JJ Abrams answer his questions before Rian Johnson can screw them up, preferably by just making Rey Luke’s daughter, Snoke into Plagueis or Vader’s last Inquistor, and emphasize that Kylo’s crazy - and make it so Johnson has to honor that stuff and actually write the character sight respect in the next film. TFA is the best of the ST by a landslide, but it wasn’t just Rian Johnson being contemptuous of the franchise that screwed it up, it was also Abrams’s love of mystery boxes. Finn’s still got a better story in TFA than anyone else in Star Wars, so that should stay… but you *do* need to keep Johnson from being hostile to him.
    about the batman. they never xplain how catwoman, a waitress living in a shitty apartment, acquired her safe cracking, martial arts, acrobatic etc skills.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    about the batman. they never xplain how catwoman, a waitress living in a shitty apartment, acquired her safe cracking, martial arts, acrobatic etc skills.
    My biggest issue with The Batman was how the Riddler came up with this huge p/lan to get mob boss out of his club in public so he could kill him at the end of the movie. Yet the mob boss eariler in the movie was out of his club and in public.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Biggest thing for me in The batman and I know I am not alone.

The Batman the world's greatest Detective that can pull the most obscure fact out of his ass at any given time, had to be told by Joe Blow Cop on the street what a tool to remove carpets is.

That is a worse moment in Batman history then the Batman Onstar tie in comic where Batman from the Batmoblie had to ask Onstar for short cuts around Gotham.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Terminator 2 : Did Arnie help because he was reprogrammed or was it because it was the right thing to do?
    The theatrical cut implies its the latter, but I still prefer the director's cut where they had to dig that module out of his head and switch it to read/write. The implication of that though is that if all Terminators had it switched to read/write instead of read/only the resistance could possibly turn more Terminators to their side. Read/write seems to lead them to the conclusion wait not all humans are bad. That probably could have been explored if the sequels weren't hellbent on just redoing 1/2.

Also, no POV T1000 shots.

...now that's a good point. I guess Arnie's line about "It has the same files as me" is supposed to mean he sees the same readouts and analytics he does? Still would have been nice to see though.
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 07-16-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The Goonies.

It's a fun, fun movie and I love watching it. But how does a pirate manage to build a modern day water slide in the rocks of that hidden cavern?

Jaws is one of my favorite movies of all time but it bugs me that they made a big deal about Hooper tying the tracking device to the barrel but it never comes into play the rest of the movie. Hooper slips away to attach the tracker and it delays Quint from getting a better shot and creates some good tension. We see the flashing tracking device when the barrels surface but Hooper never actual tracks the damn shark.

Not that minor - Wonder Woman 84 would be one of my favorite superhero movies, but the way that Steve was brought back in someone else's body was such a terrible idea that makes me unable to love it as much as I would like to.
    For one, the whole consent issue that has already been covered a lot. For two, it minimizes Diana's dilemma of renouncing her wish to bring Steve back - no way she would let him take over someone else's body permanently, which would basically kill that person.

And it would have been so easy to avoid this BS altogether, he could have just come back in a new body, there was apparently no limitation on what that spell can or cannot do.
    Such a shame.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

WW 84 bugged me because of when she came back (Aside from the stolen body issue) I mean she felt it was time to help the world again. Yet she sat out for WW2 and the Holocaust. Sat out for Korea and Vietnam. But comes back to stop a Mall Robbery.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The Last Duel - I would have adapted more of Marguerite de Thuberville’s actual testimony about her assault by Jacques Le Gris, as well as how her determination to see the trial through in the face of possibly being burned to death for perjury swung many outside observers her way.

I get that Affleck and Damon wanted to try and make Jacques more applicable to modern day party boys getting lost in fantasies resulting in assaulter, but the actual testimony form history made a stringer statement about the sheer balls and arrogance of assaulters, and Margeuritte’s greater expression of agency and guts makes a more powerful statement as well.
    Just want to say I think it's cool people call The Last Duel great more than half a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    I assumed she bribed/extorted from club clients she had info access for all of her life in order to get all kinds of things, including the fully armored thief closet in the shitty apartment.

I thought similar about movie Harley Quinn and assumed she used her wiles/Joker to pay for "top men" to train her.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My biggest issue with The Batman was how the Riddler came up with this huge p/lan to get mob boss out of his club in public so he could kill him at the end of the movie. Yet the mob boss eariler in the movie was out of his club and in public.
    Not a gun expert, but it might have been a lot harder to snipe Falcone in Gotham daylight with higher security around and with way more people crowding around? Especially if Riddler wasn't Bloodshot or Deadshot?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Biggest thing for me in The batman and I know I am not alone.

The Batman the world's greatest Detective that can pull the most obscure fact out of his ass at any given time, had to be told by Joe Blow Cop on the street what a tool to remove carpets is.

That is a worse moment in Batman history then the Batman Onstar tie in comic where Batman from the Batmoblie had to ask Onstar for short cuts around Gotham.
    I think that's bad depending on how much encyclopedic knowledge you'd think Batman should be allowed to have at any given time. Considering he's only supposed to be on year 2 of vigilantism here and he's only recently bonded with Alfred. I thought it was awkward but not bad.
    Last edited by Wildling; 07-16-2022 at 08:16 PM.