Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-Men: The Hellfire GALA #1 Reviews & DISCUSSION!!

From the preview thread:
    ADVANCED REVIEW! X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1: Party Down (Spoiler-Free), Comic-Watch.com
    ... With X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1, Duggan and company have charted the next phase of the Krakoan tapestry, setting up storylines that will touch the wider Marvel Universe, rather than just staying focused on the internal X-line. From Spider-Man to the Avengers, the Eternals, and even the Fantastic Four, the tensions are at an all-time high for mutants and the world around them. It’s a shame that the art of this one-shot doesn’t quite match those narrative implications, and instead offers a subdued visual entry into the X storyline. Ultimately, this year’s Hellfire Gala is a fun, if restrained, selection of a new X-Men roster, and set-up for more interesting stories on the horizon.

Writing - 8/10
    Storyline - 8/10
    Art - 6/10
    Color - 7/10
    Cover Art - 6/10

7/10
    ‘X-Men: Hellfire Gala’ #1 is an impactful, character-focused special, AIPTcomics.com
    ‘X-Men: Hellfire Gala’ #1 delivers an entertaining extra-sized issue. ...
    Great

Marvel somehow pulled off an even better X-Men: Hellfire Gala this year because it is delivered in an impactful extra-sized one-shot. You get the intrigue, melodrama, and beginning of a new year of X-Men with fashion and celeb cameos too.
    https://comicbookdispatch.com/x-men-...gala-1-review/
    ... X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 provides a fantastic place to get caught up, brings together a new X-MEN roster that’s sure to impress, and all while unloading some dirty laundry in the process. However, it’s long, drawn-out, and almost entirely action-less. Moreover, if something was to lack action, one would expect more drama to compensate which was sadly also not the case. X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 was super informative and will certainly get fans’ brains cooking with possibilities and ideas for the future. But, that’s about all we get this week along with the new team reveal which will probably turn heads. Nevertheless, I highly recommend any comic fan who’s wanted to hop on the X-MEN train and never has because of the overwhelming nature of the books, to pick X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 as the perfect place to hitch a ride. Let me know what you think, have a great week, and God Bless!

8.3/10
    ADVANCED REVIEW: ‘X-Men: Hellfire Gala,’ Issue #1, ButWhyTho?com
    TL;DR

X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1 delivers a major shake-up to the Age of Krakoa, with plenty of superheroic haute couture to spare. Already, plot threads have been set that will spread out into Marvel’s other comics, including upcoming issues of Amazing Spider-Man and the upcoming Judgement Day event series. It just goes to show that: whether you’re a mutant, superhero, or a regular human, the Hellfire Gala is the place to be.

4.5[/5]
    I think all are mostly spoiler-free, but I just usually read the summaries, which are posted... just in case.
    Haven't read the HfG *special* yet! Holdin' off, 'cause I know once I do... I'll just LOSE MYSELF, in its...
    INFUSION... *reinjection*... of eXCITEMENT, enthusiasm, & ultimately... REENGAGEMENT!

So late yesterday, in order 2 relaX & not think about it so much, I distracted myself by putting 2gether a couple of...
    EDITS, affectionately dubbed:

THE 4...

of my X-Men DREAM Team:

LUVin EVERYTHING I'm SEEin...
    and am HEARin!!!!

And this is just the BEGINNING! Already regret not including Rogue & Wolverine from the '21st TEAM, as well as Firestar, Forge, & Jean...
    from the 22nd. Which means a full [cropped?], clearer merger of Dauterman's splash pages, is likely forthcoming, in the very near future.
    Along with much & MANY MORE, I'm sure, as I already got an idea forming around an *ever-growing*...CELEBRATORY COLLAGE...
    TRIBUTE!!!

The Hellfire Gala unveils the new X-Men team, including the 2022 fan vote winner, NEWS@RAMA.com
    X-Men: The Hellfire Gala #1 reveals the new X-Men roster for the next year, and slyly references a classic Marvel cartoon

... Finally, Iceman, indirectly but slyly referencing his friendship with Firestar from their days as Spider-Man's so-called 'Amazing Friends' (an '80s Marvel cartoon reference that has since become somewhat canon), volunteers for the final roster spot.

This leaves the new X-Men roster as:

• Cyclops
    • Jean Grey
    • Synch
    • Firestar
    • Forge
    • Havok
    • Magik
    • Iceman

There you have your new X-Men for at least one more year, assuming Marvel Comics chooses to repeat the Hellfire Gala for a third go-round in 2023 - unless of course something happens to disrupt Krakoa and mutant society before then.
    X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1 Review, MajorSpoilers.com
    ... BOTTOM LINE: GREAT NEXT STEPS

The biggest block from suggesting this comic is the price tag. While you get over sixty pages of comics, eight bucks is a little steep. However, I think this comic is worth the price if you follow the current X-Men comics. While this isn’t a perfect comic, X-Men: Hellfire Gala is a 5 out of 5 stars.
    X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 REVIEW – DISCOVER THE FUTURE OF THE X-MEN, ComicBookRevolution.com
    ... Disappointments on the new X-Men team roster aside this year’s Hellfire Gala was a success. That is all thanks to all the great seeds planted for the future as we have a number of plotlines and character arcs to be invested in. All of that set-up creates a lot of excitement for the future of the X-Men franchise. That makes this year’s Hellfire Gala a success.

... Rating: 8...

Emma told Scott about Moira, and she and Iron Man both know what Charles and Erik did to Mr. Fantastic.
    Forge is working on something big for Xavier, and Scott got Forge elected to the team against his will in order to find out.
    Forge got Havok elected alongside him to piss off Scott.
    Moira was puppeting MJ through a necklace (that's actually Moira's severed hand), allowing her to evade the telepaths. She wanted to talk to Proteus in order to tell him about her plans and how she never loved him, in order to make him lose control and fight.
    There's implication that Moira killed MJ after the Gala.
    On the plus side, Moira is a MILF again.

Stray thoughts
    • Surge came off as boisterous and overconfident. Not really feeling this characterization for her. I'll chalk it up to her having a year of peace and relaxation, but like ???
      But I did like that she broke Glob Herman's arm
    • Jean and Emma are all over John Hamm, and he's one of Jean's "hall passes." (Someone she can sleep with and Cyclops would be fine with.) I'm assuming he'll be playing Cyclops in the MCU, and the joke here is that they look the same.
    • Gambit didn't appear. Were the previews of his costume just misdirection to hide his death?
    • There's a small running gag about the island's puffins. We later see them picking apart Iron Man's suit.
    • Gwenpool got a cameo, trying to convince Jordan White to get her on a book.
    • Deadpool is mad at Spidey, and former Deadpool writer Brian Posehn.
    • Cypher and Sinister both have chest hair. Sinister had his nips out.
    Last edited by Rift; 07-13-2022 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I was going to post that same Wanda/Lorna panel!

Well, several cats are out of the bag! A few nuggets I enjoyed or was intrigued by before diving into the big stuff.

Loved seeing Bishop finally in charge and running a war game, and how he was firm with the council in his attempt to stop the Gala.

Orchis working on legally eliminating murder charges. They want open season on mutants, I knew it.

The revelation about Synch's powers is very interesting. Loved his salt and pepper look.

The interview with Jumbo and Wasp was fun. Cute that he used to tour with Dazzler.

Emma did her best to keep things together under the weight of everything going on and I really liked her interactions with Cap. They'd make a cute couple, I'm here for it. The Rogue flashback/Firestar parallel was nice.

I'm not much of a Tony Stark fan but I liked how he was pretty much the audience proxy here.

Glad to see Greycrow on assignment working for Krakoa. I may have to pick up ASM #9.

Wanda. I'm happy she was highlighted and publicly labeled as an ally, while hanging with her sister Lorna. Dauterman made her absolutely gorgeous.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Emma told Scott about Moira, and she and Iron Man both know what Charles and Erik did to Mr. Fantastic.
    Forge is working on something big for Xavier, and Scott got Forge elected to the team against his will in order to find out.
    Forge got Havok elected alongside him to piss off Scott.
    Moira was puppeting MJ through a necklace (that's actually Moira's severed hand), allowing her to evade the telepaths. She wanted to talk to Proteus in order to tell him about her plans and how she never loved him, in order to make him lose control and fight.
    There's implication that Moira killed MJ after the Gala.

Stray thoughts
    • Surge came off as boisterous and overconfident. Not really feeling this characterization for her. I'll chalk it up to her having a year of peace and relaxation, but like ???
      But I did like that she broke Glob Herman's arm
    • Jean and Emma are all over John Hamm, and he's one of Jean's "hall passes." (Someone she can sleep with and Cyclops would be fine with.) I'm assuming he'll be playing Cyclops in the MCU, and the joke here is that they look the same.
    • Gambit didn't appear. Were the previews of his costume just misdirection to hide his death?
    • There's a small running gag about the island's puffins. We later see them picking apart Iron Man's suit.
    • Gwenpool got a cameo, trying to convince Jordan White to get her on a book.
    • Deadpool is mad at Spidey, and former Deadpool writer Brian Posehn.
    • Cypher and Sinister both have chest hair. Sinister had his nips out.
    Yeah Scott recruiting Forge to get to the bottom of what he's working on was a twist. A clear schism seems to be coming between Scott and the Council so he may try to bring Forge on his side as well. Now the strangeness of the team makes more sense.

I was wondering where they were going with the puffins. LOL!

BANNED

From the preview thread ALSO, this is...
    STARTING:
    *TODAY* @ NOON!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/AIPTcomics/statu...64397891100674
    AIPT
    @AIPTcomics

This week's edition of #XMenMonday will go live Wednesday at 12 PM EST.

Be sure to read X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1. Then, head over to AIPT to read commentary from X-Men Senior Editor Jordan D. White on the one-shot's biggest moments!
    #XMen #HellfireGala

Last edited by PolarIceFire; 07-13-2022 at 09:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The Bishop parts were the best. It feels like the first time he's done anything as a captain.

The way the new X-Men team was chosen bugs me. So 3 people were chosen even though they had no intention of running and were basically roped into it? That seems to defeat the whole purpose of it being a democratic process. And if there's one person on this team that plot point should have applied to it's Magik, but she's the one who actually wanted to run for seemingly no reason even though she's already super busy and overworked and can do all the superheroics she wants without being specifically on the X-Men.

did anything else happen ?
    NVM I just saw the other messages. The fact that Gambit didn't appear is a TRAVESTY.

Apart from Firestar and Havok who doesn't interest me much, the team makes sense...
    Did Magik resigned from being a war captain then ?
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 07-13-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Yeah. I'm still not a fan of the team as a whole, but seeing things get messy before the team is even formed was great. I see Magik and Iceman being the characters who get neglected, but at least Forge will likely get a lot of focus.

For those who thought the main X-Men book was too simple and disconnected from Krakoa, there you go. Though I'm still worried about the character dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Did Magik resigned from being a war captain then ?
    No. But the Marauders have Psylocke and Bishop, so it's nbd.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The Bishop parts were the best. It feels like the first time he's done anything as a captain.

The way the new X-Men team was chosen bugs me. So 3 people were chosen even though they had no intention of running and were basically roped into it? That seems to defeat the whole purpose of it being a democratic process. And if there's one person on this team that plot point should have applied to it's Magik, but she's the one who actually wanted to run for seemingly no reason even though she's already super busy and overworked and can do all the superheroics she wants without being specifically on the X-Men.
    The election process was very strange indeed. Voters couldn't reach a consensus so essentially anyone who was highlighted or spoke up (Magik and Iceman) got the vote. I'm assuming the revelation of the protocols was top of mind for everyone so the vote was lackluster. That said, the people agreed with Scott's decision enough to vote for him, literally gaining the vote of confidence from the population. That doesn't look good for the council.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Yeah. I'm still not a fan of the team as a whole, but seeing things get messy before the team is even formed was great. I see Magik and Iceman being the characters who get neglected, but at least Forge will likely get a lot of focus.

For those who thought the main X-Men book was too simple and disconnected from Krakoa, there you go. Though I'm still worried about the character dynamics.

No. But the Marauders have Psylocke and Bishop, so it's nbd.
    Well Cyclops had to resign to go on the X-men. The Marauders are backed by the Council. The X-men team is not.

Extraordinary Member

Well Cyclops had to resign to go on the X-men. The Marauders are backed by the Council. The X-men team is not.
    Cyclops resigned as Captain Commander, but he's still 1 of the 4 captains. And the council would have let him remain captain commander. They were blindsighted by his decision to give the role to Bishop. Jean was the 1 who had to resign from the council, but that was to go fight during X of Swords and before she and Cyclops refounded the X-Men.

Bishop brings up the fact that there will be 2 captains on the team and decides to drop the issue when asked if he wants to fight Magik.

It's possible it may become an issue later but for now they're going with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    It's possible it may become an issue later but for now they're going with it.

Bishop's energy absorption power isn't going to help against a sword, and that assumes Yana doesn't just teleport him to the Moon.

Not Scott's idea of a good housewarming gift, but Yana does at times display a very twisted sense of humor.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Cyclops resigned as Captain Commander, but he's still 1 of the 4 captains. And the council would have let him remain captain commander. They were blindsighted by his decision to give the role to Bishop. Jean was the 1 who had to resign from the council, but that was to go fight during X of Swords and before she and Cyclops refounded the X-Men.

Bishop brings up the fact that there will be 2 captains on the team and decides to drop the issue when asked if he wants to fight Magik.
    Ah yes you're right sorry I'm mixing things a bit.
    It's going to be a busy year for Illyana.

Default Hellfire Gala #1 - SPOILERS

In general - a solid read that has real character beats that have been missing from Duggan's mostly plot-driven X-Men. It also does a great job of exploring the implication of mutant resurrection. He's done the work here, and it's a fine job.

Book opens with a parallel drawn between last year's convo between Jean/Cyclops and this year's convo between the two. It ends w/an odd quip about Cyclops joining Gambit in the kitchen if he doesn't make the cut. Don't they know he's dead – as in otherworld dead?

The preview's Avengers arrival turns out to be a training session with the younger X-men pretending to be Avengers. Ends on a great moment showing Bishop to be his own man and on par with Cyclops.

Also per preview, Emma's surprised to learn the resurrection secret is out.

A data page as memo from Dr. Stasis demonstrates how the revelation is not a good thing. Humans, and Orchis, are now empowered to think of mutants as commodities that can be killed. What's the value of life and/or risk of moral harm when mutants can be resurrected?

The news turns heads: Clea wants Strange back; the FF are curious and the Avengers are non-plussed.

Meanwhile on Phobos - Dr Stasis (Essex) is gloating and planning with Feilong. Most secrets are out: Stasis no longer attempts to hide his face and Moira joins in on the plotting. Moira positions herself as Orchis resident precog and reserves the right to keep her mutant power / X lives a secret. Moira Jane is relatively unharmed in a cryo bed. Moira will "wear" her by forcing her to wear a choker that allows her to pilot MJ. Ominously, she vows to killer her when she's done.

At the QC - Bishop advises the Gala should be canceled. After some back and forth the QC decides the event will go forward. Bishop takes and stand and orders the Five to be benched and confined to the island. Nearby, the Five have some fun character beats talking about missing out and Illyana makes it known if they want to attend they'll have to go through her.

In the grove - Sync arrives for a Dr. Reyes appointment and reveals his power is physically aging him when he syncs with someone who is not nearby. He's going gray and aged several years since Dr. Reyes last scan. So his omega upgrade has a toll. He swears Dr. Reyes to secrecy.

Event begins - Emma greets guests and announces resurrection won't be discussed tonight; Gameworld's refugees will provide entertainment; Moira Jane arrives through a portal. Cyclops approaches Emma and is rebuffed; their convo is interrupted by mystery guest Jon Hamm who apparently has history with Emma. Clea has words with Emma who recalibrates her: mutant resurrection only works for mutants - quit trying to save your man and go be the Sorcerer Supreme.

Nearby - Spiderman and Moira Jane have a "blink twice if you need an EXFIL" exchange while Cypher observes body language. Spidey mistakes his tingle for Doom being behind him (not MJ).

On the casino floor - Emma apologizes to Firestar (for the past) and she lets Emma know she feels like an unwanted guest (being a cop and all). Steve Rogers greets Emma and shares his experience, with Rogue, on what it takes to earn an adversary and the next generation's trust. Emma thanks him without an ounce of snark.

Nearby - Forge and Cyclops have an exchange which hints at tension simmering. Forge notes that if Cyclops wants to know what the QC is up to, he should earn his way back onto the council. Forge didn't miss with that one.

Suddenly the Five appear (plus Illyana as chaperone). Moira Jane greets Proteus and suggests they step away. She taps her glass three times before departing. Away from prying eyes, Proteus asks how MJ knows him. Moira adjusts the collar and reveals herself.

Nearby, Tony Stark and Feilong exchange words. Feilong wasn't invited but he's there because he goes where he pleases. Stark breaks away and speaks with Reed Richards who reveals Xavier and Magneto wiped his memory and left him with memory of the wiping on purpose. The two agree to reconvene at another time and place.

Back at the casino Stark sits down next to Emma and channels his gift as "futurist" to tell her a war over mutant resurrection technology is coming. Inevitably, it will proliferate like nukes and cause an arms race. Emma excuses herself but not before Tony drops the bomb: He knows mutants have been mind wiping people who get in the way (Urich, Reed Richards, etc.). The reveal stops Emma in her tracks. Stark tells her to go speak with Reed Richards. Feilong and Stark have a final exchange that sets them up as rivals. It seems Tony wants to be the center of everything.

Elsewhere, Cypher approaches Spidey and lets him know he can tell something's up between him and MJ. The body language was clear. Also, MJ was tapping SOS on her glass. Spidey runs off and thanks Cypher.

Meanwhile, Moira and Proteus continue their talk. Moira reveals Proteus birth is no accident. He was engineered for a purpose and she never loved him. Proteus is provoked but Spidey arrives before he can harm MJ. Spidey tries to remove the necklace and receives a massive jolt. Proteus takes a swing a Spiderman but then comes to his senses: Moira is trying to provoke him. The five suddenly rush to Proteus side and announce they are his family know. Proteus says there will be no fight - if he's to be used it will be to create. Suddenly Wolverine appears and has words with Moira via MJ. He agrees to let her go (but not without Scalphunter tailing her). They pass through the portal -- to be continued in ASM#9.

Back on the dance floor Emma and Scott are reunited after Jean "cloaks" Scott as Jon Hamm. In a nice moment of couple's tension, Emma "dips" Scott on the dance floor when she realizes she's been duped. Scott shares all he knows about Stasis/Sinister and Emma shares all she knows about Moira X. The two are a little overwhelmed by the intel exchange but end it on good note.

The vote begins and the new team is selected: Cyclops, Jean, Sync, Firestar, Forge, Havok, Iceman, and Illyana are on the team. It seems many of the new members are there in the spirit of "keep your enemies closer." Notably - Forge voluntold Havok to be on the team (perhaps to keep Cyclops busy and out of Forge's hair). The announcement's scene is interrupted by a scene of Stasis in his lab preparing and completing some sort of bio-tech "payload" to Orchis Central Column. His lab seems staffed by robots that vaguely resemble space creatures Hickman created during his Avengers run (name escapes me).

After the announcement, Forge vows to Xavier he will intentionally get kicked off the team if it distracts him from Project Blackbox. Forge has been giving serious "blink 2x if you need an EXFIL vibes" throughout the night. Stark approaches Firestar and lets her know being blindsided by conscription is an opportunity and she knows how to contact him.

As the party ends / people depart, Emma and Bishop discuss Moira's appearance. Bishop vows he is on it and she'll be dead very soon.

Hours later at an undisclosed location, Moira is washing what seems to be blood off her hands. She's revealed to be speaking with two Eternals – one of which appears to be Druig. She gives them the names of the Five and sets them on the path to correct excess deviation.