BANNED

Default "Lame Hispanic Characters" ???

These days I was looking for international superheroes of DC Comics in ComicVine site for a personal project I'm developing casually when I came across the following topic troll

"Lame Hispanic Characters"

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/the...racters/13877/

The Distinguished Citizen says:

This would be the companion piece to my list of cool hispanic characters. For the most part these are the guys who are just pathetic. Their powers are lame, their look is lame, and they probably have little or no depth/personality to speak of. For the most part I do not see them as having any apprecciable potential for greatness, even if handed over to a competent writer. Alternatively, I will also include characters who might have decent powers/abilities, but they've never been treated as anything but a B or C-List character at best. They're practically little more than supporting cast. Token Brown Characters get to be here too, if 'Token Brown Character' is all they are.

And adds sarcastically at the end ...

Note: I've recently come to understand the difference between Race and Ethnicity, and realize I use the word "Hispanic" pretty inaccurately in several places. I should go edit them. But I won't. Cuz I'm lazy. But i'm not lazy because i'm hispanic. I'm lazy because i'm American.

"I'm lazy because i'm American. "

Interesting ... did not know that someone "being American" gave this person the moral right to "be lazy" in his comments about anyone.

The distinguished User of the ComicVine who made this topic just does not spare the words poison, malice and wickedness to practically mocks and calls "trashs" all Latins superheroes of all publishers ... and the bad thing is that he made the list is not a bit small and has even some superheroes who are not that of "second and third tier" ...

My reaction? Honestly I was perplexed. As the moderation of a famous site about comics allows someone to distill such intolerance, a single topic? I know that the Americans see themselves, all as "heroes", and that for them, the rest of the world is nothing but a bunch of, Bozos clowns, but honestly in Latins deserve a little more consideration. What this guy is doing is not the same as the users of Desciclopedia or the Simpsons do and "kicking ass " with the sole intention of being funny he's not far from it "only" disrespecting one of the laws guaranteed human rights " All human beings belong to the same species and are descended from a common origin. born equal in dignity and rights and all form an integral part of humanity. "

First said "Hispanics characters" list this "Sir" all characters are created according to the American view of us, Latin Americans, and Hispanics. Never researched anything about the Hispanics, never believed that we could have promising or powerful characters as heroes or heroines. Never thought that we were nothing but a bunch of "La Cucarachas" caricatured and stereotyped, nor tried to detach ourselves from stereotypes commonly attributed to us as a people.

When I read: " Pedro Alvares Cabral ...why do I even bother ? " honestly wonder if he considers Cristóvão Colombo much better just because he "discovered America"? Oh ... forgot to Americans of the USA was only really "discovered" by the Mayflower pilgrims and Americans consider all of the underside of Texas the same trash .

But on this topic ridiculing Latins superheroes? Funny that we Latinos despite defects terms as any people never started any war, are a people gentle, amiable, hospitable, polite to everyone, we decided to reasonable and peaceful way between us and our differences, we do not consider ourselves either "best" or "superior" or "above" anyone anyway, never would do the same thing this guy did with this topic.

But anyway about all of this User ComicVine wrote my only answer is that I have no answer for you. Do not have to justify or dignify with words bigotry from anyone. I do not mind the opinion of this "gentleman" about us Latins. The same in an episode of the Simpsons where they kicking ass with everything including with great values ​​of American society. I'm finally at peace with myself and my heroes. We have no "Superman", no "Batman", no "Iron Man" or any "Hulk," "Spider-Man", "Captain America", "Thor" or "Godverine" and such but no less proud of our heroes nor think less worthy of respect. As they say: "Being good is not synonymous with 'being idiot' being good is a virtue that most of the idiots not understand."
    Last edited by Sansomon; 09-01-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Fantastic Member

I note the same user has also done a list of "Cool Hispanic Characters" http://www.comicvine.com/profile/the...racters/13876/
    I'm guessing (s)he's Hispanic him\herself.

The part about White Tiger (Hector) shows how much Bendis can damage some characters when he has decided to brand them as losers.

Extraordinary Member

Hey I like some of the characters on that list! He does have a point though about Hispanic/black mutants being disfigured all the time though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    I note the same user has also done a list of "Cool Hispanic Characters" http://www.comicvine.com/profile/the...racters/13876/
    I'm guessing (s)he's Hispanic him\herself.
    Oh Lady Rawhide is without doubt an excellent example of Latin heroin. When I first saw it I thought: "A woman that leave out there, riding, well dressed, at the time of Zorro, was practically asking to be raped." And Gideon the "Mutant Super-Adaptoid Immortal", or, Vargas, the guy with a sneeze killed Psylocke however took a beating from Rogue . And Sumspot? Honestly? I spend!
    Last edited by Sansomon; 09-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Hey I like some of the characters on that list! He does have a point though about Hispanic/black mutants being disfigured all the time though.
    Why exactly? Why Hispanics and Latino characters has an obligation to be "disfigured", "deformed" and with little useful powers as Africans, like Storm and Black Panther, as Irish like Banshee , Canadians as a whole Alpha Flight and Wolverine Russians as the Winter Guard and British as Captain Britain, The ClanDestine, Union Jack and Spittfire, Motormouth and Killpower and Dark Angel may have enormous powers to the point of allowing unto them face Gods of Asgard, aliens, Arch-Villains alike, Doctor Doom? Why exactly no hispanic or latino character can be considered a "hero first time"? Kyle Rayner does not count because his father "Mexican government agent" not officially part of your life then for all purposes Kyle is "American" , Miguel O'Hara's Irish, Aztec is an American with powers of the Aztec Sun God
    Last edited by Sansomon; 09-01-2014 at 02:57 PM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

This guy is obviously Hispanic himself and I think the topic is more intended as a "look how lame the Big Two make Hispanic superheroes" subject than a bashing thread. And since he made a Cool Hispanic superhero thread it makes it obvious he is just showing light on 2 sides of the subject. That said, there are not much non-German European superheroes either. Also not a lot of Asian superheroes. No race except Americans are represented well superhero-wise actually, and they are often very stereotyped.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    This guy is obviously Hispanic himself and I think the topic is more intended as a "look how lame the Big Two make Hispanic superheroes" subject than a bashing thread. And since he made a Cool Hispanic superhero thread it makes it obvious he is just showing light on 2 sides of the subject. That said, there are not much non-German European superheroes either. Also not a lot of Asian superheroes. No race except Americans are represented well superhero-wise actually, and they are often very stereotyped.
    Why exactly? Give me a logical explanation for why you believe that most of the greatest superheroes in the world are "American" and no race except American are wise represented and they are often very stereotyped serve as examples of superheroes. Because a couple of writers had the idea to create a super guy underwear outside of his pants? I wonder if they were from another country would have made any difference?

I disagree with him on Rictor. I think Rictor actually is a cool character. I think he also probably needs to read some earlier White Tiger stuff to get a better impression of whether he's truly lame or not. And I definitely disagree on Rockslide - Rockslide is awesome. So awesome.

There's a few I'm not at all familiar with, so I can't comment on them, but his descriptions bothered me for a few. "Tranny smell"? Really? Grow the hell up, you dick.

However, I can't really argue with him on most of the characters. Even a lot of the ones I like, I do recognize as being lame. For example, I really, genuinely like El Aguila. But man, is he ever a lame character.

His gripes about Latino characters so often being deformed is also entirely valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    Why exactly? Give me a logical explanation for why you believe that most of the greatest superheroes in the world are "American" and no race except American are wise represented and they are often very stereotyped serve as examples of superheroes. Because a couple of writers had the idea to create a super guy underwear outside of his pants? I wonder if they were from another country would have made any difference?
    It's because Marvel and DC are both based out of New York, and most of their most popular characters were created prior to 1980, when the US was still incredibly racist. Writers keep trying to add more diversity, and those attempts are met with utter indifference from a public who wants to keep reading the characters from the '60s and '70s.

BANNED

I also disagree with what he said about Rictor, Rockslide and many of the characters he called "lame hispanic characters" on the fact that "deform" Latino superheroes and super-heroines do not care specifically about this as many of the superheroes and super-heroines dearest are also in many cases, "deformed" or those with disabilities which does not make them less loved at all
    Last edited by Sansomon; 09-01-2014 at 03:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    It's because Marvel and DC are both based out of New York, and most of their most popular characters were created prior to 1980, when the US was still incredibly racist. Writers keep trying to add more diversity, and those attempts are met with utter indifference from a public who wants to keep reading the characters from the '60s and '70s.
    But suppose the Marvel and DC Comics instead of being based in New York USA were in some other country. For example if Superman had been instead of a superhero created in the USA instead one Russian, the USSR, at the height of the Cold War, as in "Superman The Red Son". That would have made any difference to readers?
    Last edited by Sansomon; 09-01-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    These days I was looking for international superheroes of DC Comics in ComicVine site for a personal project I'm developing casually when I came across the following topic troll

"Lame Hispanic Characters"

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/the...racters/13877/

The Distinguished Citizen says:

This would be the companion piece to my list of cool hispanic characters. For the most part these are the guys who are just pathetic. Their powers are lame, their look is lame, and they probably have little or no depth/personality to speak of. For the most part I do not see them as having any apprecciable potential for greatness, even if handed over to a competent writer. Alternatively, I will also include characters who might have decent powers/abilities, but they've never been treated as anything but a B or C-List character at best. They're practically little more than supporting cast. Token Brown Characters get to be here too, if 'Token Brown Character' is all they are.

And adds sarcastically at the end ...

Note: I've recently come to understand the difference between Race and Ethnicity, and realize I use the word "Hispanic" pretty inaccurately in several places. I should go edit them. But I won't. Cuz I'm lazy. But i'm not lazy because i'm hispanic. I'm lazy because i'm American.

"I'm lazy because i'm American. "

Interesting ... did not know that someone "being American" gave this person the moral right to "be lazy" in his comments about anyone.

The distinguished User of the ComicVine who made this topic just does not spare the words poison, malice and wickedness to practically mocks and calls "trashs" all Latins superheroes of all publishers ... and the bad thing is that he made the list is not a bit small and has even some superheroes who are not that of "second and third tier" ...

My reaction? Honestly I was perplexed. As the moderation of a famous site about comics allows someone to distill such intolerance, a single topic? I know that the Americans see themselves, all as "heroes", and that for them, the rest of the world is nothing but a bunch of, Bozos clowns, but honestly in Latins deserve a little more consideration. What this guy is doing is not the same as the users of Desciclopedia or the Simpsons do and "kicking ass " with the sole intention of being funny he's not far from it "only" disrespecting one of the laws guaranteed human rights " All human beings belong to the same species and are descended from a common origin. born equal in dignity and rights and all form an integral part of humanity. "

First said "Hispanics characters" list this "Sir" all characters are created according to the American view of us, Latin Americans, and Hispanics. Never researched anything about the Hispanics, never believed that we could have promising or powerful characters as heroes or heroines. Never thought that we were nothing but a bunch of "La Cucarachas" caricatured and stereotyped, nor tried to detach ourselves from stereotypes commonly attributed to us as a people.

When I read: " Pedro Alvares Cabral ...why do I even bother ? " honestly wonder if he considers Cristóvão Colombo much better just because he "discovered America"? Oh ... forgot to Americans of the USA was only really "discovered" by the Mayflower pilgrims and Americans consider all of the underside of Texas the same trash .

But on this topic ridiculing Latins superheroes? Funny that we Latinos despite defects terms as any people never started any war, are a people gentle, amiable, hospitable, polite to everyone, we decided to reasonable and peaceful way between us and our differences, we do not consider ourselves either "best" or "superior" or "above" anyone anyway, never would do the same thing this guy did with this topic.

But anyway about all of this User ComicVine wrote my only answer is that I have no answer for you. Do not have to justify or dignify with words bigotry from anyone. I do not mind the opinion of this "gentleman" about us Latins. The same in an episode of the Simpsons where they kicking ass with everything including with great values ​​of American society. I'm finally at peace with myself and my heroes. We have no "Superman", no "Batman", no "Iron Man" or any "Hulk," "Spider-Man", "Captain America", "Thor" or "Godverine" and such but no less proud of our heroes nor think less worthy of respect. As they say: "Being good is not synonymous with 'being idiot' being good is a virtue that most of the idiots not understand."
    Would you not be better discussing this on comicvine? I don't really see the benefit of taking it to CBR.