Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmyplace View Post
    Ha, was just about to post this. AVGN can give some really great perspectives and his take on Saturday morning really hit home. From the clip, one can tell that he leans heavy into more of the late 80s/early 90s phase of Saturday morning. His idea that Saturday morning still lives on is interesting. It still lives on but the tremendous amount of choice that we have now somewhat dilutes that.

Great shout out to the Saturday morning anti-drug cartoon. Like the best types of nostalgia, I've wisps of that. I remember a lot of the scenes that he mentioned. I definitely remember that scene featuring the drugged out teen. I remember having my mind blown seeing all of these cartoon characters, like Alvin and Chipmunks, Muppet Babies, Michelangelo, and others crossing over with one another. But I don't remember when I watched it. Was it Saturday morning? Or maybe a weekday afternoon.

Anyway, an AVGN retrospective on Saturday morning is always a good thing.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmyplace View Post
    Watching that now, I realize just how heavily the series leaned into Slimer. I mean it should be obvious, but 4 year old me couldn't tell the difference ha. There were still enough proton packs and streams to keep me satisfied. Plus, there were some good episodes there.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The 13th episode of robocop budget was used to make the 80s x-men pilot.

They had a second robocop cartoon in the 90s.
    Bro, Pryde of the X-Men was a great one off. That animation was sick. It reminded me of the X-Men arcade game (yeah, I know, it's because the game was based off of this episode. But I didn't realize it at the time). Additionally, the episode was a turning point for me as it made me a fan of Nightcrawler. I liked the relationship he had with Kitty. For the longest time, I thought they were a couple in canon to the point where the whole Colossus/Shadowcat pairing confused me when I first saw it.

How did everyone else watch the episode? For me, it was through rummaging through the VHS bargain bins at my local Bradlee's. That tape was pretty cool too as it had an ad for the Spider-Man and the X-Men game for the SNES.
    "I am a man of peace."

Ha yes, I was a fan of WildC.A.T.S.:

Hindsight makes me realize this was following off of the heels of the X-Men: TAS. The 90s "extreme" vibe is really strong here. But yeah, it was an okay substitute before the latest episode of X-Men.
    "I am a man of peace."

I've seen WildC.A.T.S. before X-Men and liked it a lot. Then I saw X-Men (90's series) and one of my first thoughts was, that it looks a lot similar, with several characters having a similar design, personality, etc.
    Only later, when I started reading comics, did I learn that it was actually WildCats that was inspired by X-Men.

So, technically it was WildCats (with 90's Spider-Man) that brought me to the world of comics.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Super Friends, Laff-a-lympics, Thundarr, DnD, Gummi Bears, Smurfs, Snorks...I wish I had a DVR back then so I could watch everything...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And the machine robo france version revenge of the gobots dubbed by the challenge of the gobots vas as a follow up to the american series!

Pretty catchy song also.

Makes me wonder had the Machine Robo anime been given an American English dub and reworked as GoBots here in the U.S. would it have been a serious contender against The Transformers?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Bro, Pryde of the X-Men was a great one off. That animation was sick. It reminded me of the X-Men arcade game (yeah, I know, it's because the game was based off of this episode. But I didn't realize it at the time). Additionally, the episode was a turning point for me as it made me a fan of Nightcrawler. I liked the relationship he had with Kitty. For the longest time, I thought they were a couple in canon to the point where the whole Colossus/Shadowcat pairing confused me when I first saw it.

How did everyone else watch the episode? For me, it was through rummaging through the VHS bargain bins at my local Bradlee's. That tape was pretty cool too as it had an ad for the Spider-Man and the X-Men game for the SNES.
    The X-Men pilot aired with little fanfare just randomly one Sunday morning on The Marvel Action Universe block in late 1988, the Marvel Action Universe consisted of RoboCop; Dino-Riders and repeats of Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, it aired in RoboCop's timeslot.

The pilot was later released on VHS in 1989 by New World Pictures and during the 90's a budget company called Best Film acquired the rights to many old Marvel cartoons including Pryde of the X-Men and subsequently released them as well. Of particular interest is that for some unknown reason some 40 seconds are missing in all of Best Films copies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    The X-Men pilot aired with little fanfare just randomly one Sunday morning on The Marvel Action Universe block in late 1988, the Marvel Action Universe consisted of RoboCop; Dino-Riders and repeats of Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, it aired in RoboCop's timeslot.

The pilot was later released on VHS in 1989 by New World Pictures and during the 90's a budget company called Best Film acquired the rights to many old Marvel cartoons including Pryde of the X-Men and subsequently released them as well. Of particular interest is that for some unknown reason some 40 seconds are missing in all of Best Films copies.
    Some people forget that X-men when it first came out that it was also kinda not finished yet. Animation mistakes from all over the pilot. But then the pilot was released on Fox with most of the Animation mistakes fixed.

The shaturday morning cartoons episodes are pretty fun where they look at cartoons from the past. They do sometime have adult jokes, but they also go into the show even getting voice actors like Richie rich's va and people who work on the show like doing a episode of alf tales and having the guy who wrote the episode on it.

A few more-

BANNED

If you want bad cartoons then look no further than Bruce Willis yes that Bruce Willis. I give you Bruce Willis's 1996 and 97 "Bruno the Kid" which Bruce produced himself. sadly it also makes the cut to this list.

and yes that is Bruce Willis and the voice of Bruno the Kid.