Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Citation needed for Batman Who Laughs being popular.
    Williamson said on a podcast that everything BWL was in sold spectacularly well and DC deliberately chose to restrain themselves with him and give him a rest. Unsurprising, it’s a Batman/Joker hybrid of course people love him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It doesn't have to be new characters either. Kaldur isn't new but his push had lead to some real bad Aquaman sales.
    That's of course true.

I'm anyway not really getting what they are doing with Aquaman, he had a pretty successful run under Geoff Jones, and I think the DCEU Movie that made the most money, but for some reason DC more interested in promoting Jackson and Mera, than pushing him.

It doesn't help that for some reason they think it is a good idea to have Aquamen, Andromeda and Voidsong out at the same time. Some months ago we also had Black Manta, Becoming and Aquaman/Green Arrow being published at the same time. They are pushing character who is not popular and at the same time simultaneously releasing more Aquaman books than they ever did.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Basically, my interest in DC started to wane with Infinite Crisis, because my favourite characters had been either killed off (Jean-Paul Valley), or taken in directions I wasn't (and still am not) particularly interested in (Kyle Rayner and Roy Harper).

I continued collecting DC, but slowly reduced the number of titles until Flashpoint. The New 52 reboot felt like a good jumping off point and I came back to certain titles because I had a pretty cool headcanon in which these titles made sense (Reed Hood and the Outlaws, Red Hood/Arsenal, The Omega Men). Going forward, I really think my time with DC is really coming to a definitive end, unless they really decide to favour characters I am most interested in (Kyle, Roy, Jean-Paul) in directions I am happy with (for example, Kyle doesn't need to be the last Green Lantern, but he thrives and is a much more interesting character when he is on Earth. And if he has to be special, make him take the Ion persona - I am not a fan of the Rainbow corp and White Lantern concept at all)
    Thank you
    Adding it to the list:

This has a been very interesting
    If you're buying what can make you buy more?
    If you're not buying what will make you buy?
    Most of the answers are specific personal taste but there is a theme that gets more than one vote

1. Less Batman books
    More variety in the lineup so you can get the books you want to buy (one person don't mind Batman books but other characters need to be cultivated)

2. Simplification of timeline
    An actual clear history, one version, not all.

(Number 1 and 2 aren't actually answers to my questions but I've been hearing it for a year now I know that's what you all want so I'm counting it, and it gets my vote too)

3. History of DC Universe book
    Because of unclear canon more than one readers want this

4. Simplification of branding
    On heroes
    Ascended wants to move forward, let new heroes take the mantle.
    Fergus's daughter is interested in Damian not Tim.
    Nomads don't mind legacy characters, as long as they don't inhabit the same superhero brand all at the same time.
    That's the common ground.
    (and note that this doesn't mean death, just mantle passing)

5. Interconnectedness
    How characters relate to each other and feel like living in the same universe even through multiple titles

6. Whatever Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo's doing on Nightwing
    I've read multiple tweets under their posts asking where to start, if their run on Nightwing a good starting point, a tweet from someone who's never read Nightwing before and made the jump and just now, a tweet of someone who hasn't been buying for years and coming back to their Nightwing.
    News! The newest Nightwing issue is sold out before hitting the stores so there's even more buyer than the usual preorder

As for the rest that are specifics, you guys want
    - actual untamed 17+ Lobo book
    - sandman
    - Gotham central (more down to earth story)
    - JSA
    - Barry, Hal
    - rebirth lineup
    - fun tone like Scooby Doo
    - status quo of the early 2000s era
    - mini series uninterrupted by crossover
    - Palmiotti Power Girl
    - a good Titans
    - taking out artist you don't like (Riley Rossmo for example)
    - stop cancelling books that sell like super sons
    - from Tumblr, more of Kami Garcia art (Beast Boy and Raven OGN already bought, and Robins preordered)
    - Characters I like to read doesn't have to be the only one but thriving and in a direction I find interesting (Kyle, Roy, Jean-Paul)

Some of those can be done in different Earth or publication line and some of them can be applied to number 1 to 6, just need more votes, but for now, talking about the main line I would pick the most common ground, which is number 1 to 6

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Thank you
    Adding it to the list:

This has a been very interesting
    If you're buying what can make you buy more?
    If you're not buying what will make you buy?
    Most of the answers are specific personal taste but there is a theme that gets more than one vote

1. Less Batman books
    More variety in the lineup so you can get the books you want to buy (one person don't mind Batman books but other characters need to be cultivated)

2. Simplification of timeline
    An actual clear history, one version, not all.

(Number 1 and 2 aren't actually answers to my questions but I've been hearing it for a year now I know that's what you all want so I'm counting it, and it gets my vote too)

4. Simplification of branding
    On heroes
    Ascended wants to move forward, let new heroes take the mantle.
    Fergus's daughter is interested in Damian not Tim.
    Nomads don't mind legacy characters, as long as they don't inhabit the same superhero brand all at the same time.
    That's the common ground.
    (and note that this doesn't mean death, just mantle passing)

5. Interconnectedness
    How characters relate to each other and feel like living in the same universe even through multiple titles

6. Whatever Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo's doing on Nightwing
    I've read multiple tweets under their posts asking where to start, if their run on Nightwing a good starting point, a tweet from someone who's never read Nightwing before and made the jump and just now, a tweet of someone who hasn't been buying for years and coming back to their Nightwing.
    News! The newest Nightwing issue is sold out before hitting the stores so there's even more buyer than the usual preorder

As for the rest that are specifics, you guys want
    - actual untamed 17+ Lobo book
    - sandman
    - Gotham central (more down to earth story)
    - JSA
    - Barry, Hal
    - rebirth lineup
    - fun tone like Scooby Doo
    - status quo of the early 2000s era
    - mini series uninterrupted by crossover
    - Palmiotti Power Girl
    - a good Titans
    - taking out artist you don't like (Riley Rossmo for example)
    - stop cancelling books that sell like super sons
    - from Tumblr, more of Kami Garcia art (Beast Boy and Raven OGN already bought, and Robins preordered)
    - Characters I like to read doesn't have to be the only one but thriving and in a direction I find interesting (Kyle, Roy, Jean-Paul)

Some of those can be done in different Earth or publication line and some of them can be applied to number 1 to 6, just need more votes, but for now, talking about the main line I would pick the most common ground, which is number 1 to 6
    I would also endorse specifically, 1, 2, and 5.

Astonishing Member

Specifically for me?

A DC Ultimate Universe. Fresh start from scratch. Everything else...no. Just occasionally a book here and there. Right now, its Batman only.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Thank you
    Adding it to the list:

I would probably say something like John Ridley's History of DC Universe that gives you the bare basics of key points and that is it.
    Example
    John Stewart

both parents and 3 siblings
    served in the army
    degree in architect
    Recruit by Guardians
    normal life
    Recruited to be main Earth Lantern
    Meets Kami Tu
    Led Lantern in Crisis
    Gets married and steps down as main lead Earth Lantern
    Wife killed and returns to GLC as member
    Planet blows up
    Asked to build Mosaic world
    Goes after wife's killer
    (Jedi handwave away Hal going Nuts, killing Corps and give Kyle a new origin)
    Main Lantern on Mosaic World and Kyle takes his old Earth Lantern spot.
    Switches with Kyle. Returns to Earth and splits time with Hal or Guy with JLA spot when needed.

I leave enough leeway for other events to be added.

5. Interconnectedness
    The downside to that is editorial. If everyone was under the same head editor that would be easy. Milestone did this probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Depends, I think If they had put more effort into increasing the sales of characters selling typically 20K-40K range, instead of constantly creating new diverse characters, DC would probably be in a better place at this point.

OK 5G was more of Dan Didio thing, but just imagine all the resources they put into that, had instead went into something the majority of fans actually want to read.
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive. DC could increase the sales of characters selling typically 20K-40K range and create and promote more diverse characters at the same time. DC does not need to roll back trying to be more inclusive to do that. And them doing so wouldn't increase sales in other areas.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive. DC could increase the sales of characters selling typically 20K-40K range and create and promote more diverse characters at the same time. DC does not need to roll back trying to be more inclusive to do that. And them doing so wouldn't increase sales in other areas.
    But to those who do not care for diverse characters it would make them feel good.
    Which is what seems to matter the most.

If they had put more effort into increasing the sales of characters selling typically 20K-40K range,
    So diverse characters can't do 20K-40K.

Funny there are a LOT of diverse books doing that and then some.

Black Panther, Steel, Ms Marvel, Spawn, Static, Jaime Reyes, Jason Rusch, X-23, Cassandra Cain, John Stewart and Miles Morales say hi.

Extraordinary Member

DC hasn't infinite resources, I mean there is reason we are still getting stuff now that is somehow based on 5G even if that thing was scrapped.

And they can still introduce still a few new characters, but keeping their already popular characters going should have a bigger priority.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So diverse characters can't do 20K-40K.
    I didn't said that they should only concentrate on white characters that sell those numbers.
    I mean if they had put more effort to keep sales for Steel, Jaime Reyes, Jason Rusch, Cassandra Cain or John Stewart up those characters might have now successfull runs of 100+ issues.
    Last edited by Aahz; 07-21-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    DC hasn't infinite resources, I mean there is reason we are still getting stuff now that is somehow based on 5G even if that thing was scrapped.

And they can still introduce still a few new characters, but keeping their already popular characters going should have a bigger priority.
    Their resources might not be strictly infinite, but they have enough resources to do both. DC can push books that are in the middle of the pack or are falling behind in sales and push inclusiveness and keep their popular characters going. It is crazy to say they can't do all these things equally with equal success.
    Last edited by KC; 07-21-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

One thought that occurred to me was that, while a lot of us are tired of events and crossovers and crises, if they must exist, they should center on different characters and places and mythologies. There's no real reason for anyone who read Death Metal to become a fan of anyone (except maybe Captain Carrot).

Extraordinary Member

Their resources might not be strictly infinite, but they have enough resources to do both. DC can push books that are in the middle of the pack or are falling behind in sales and push inclusiveness and keep their popular characters going. It is crazy to say they can't do all these things equally with equal success.
    They can at least not push to many things at the same time or stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

And at least to me it doesn't look like the characters that were struggling up.

I find it funny people always want the two to cannibalize each other. DC definitely has the resources they're just using it for Event titles and Batman books. Naomi and Jon are NOT the reason JSA and Steel don't have books, it's the 20 Bat titles that's taking up all the so called space.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fire and replace everyone again, basically. Those who hold the reigns right now function as if they don't even know the industry they're in.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El