Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

count me as another who thought this was one of the top books of the New 52.

RIP Frankenstein (pseudo-irony!)
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Oh yeah I miss Demon Knights too!

Awesome enough, they're trying to disguise diversity as Batman books now; see Gotham Academy, Gotham At Midnight, etc. Really hope it works out.
    Exactly. Much like Futures End, starring Firestorm, Grifter, Frankenstein, Mr Terrific, Hawkman, Amethyst and Dearhstroke... All characters with cancelled titles, in a book starring them all selling far better than their solo titles sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who say they want diversity that may post on boards like these. But how many of DC's actual customers actually post here? We're more of a vocal minority, not the silent majority who primarily want more Batman books.
    Nobody wants diversity. They want their favorite D-lister to get a shot at ongoing so they post about how DC should be more diverse. Some other D-lister gets a shot? Forget about it, what DC are even thinking with this title, dead in 6 issues.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Yup, one of the best books of the new 52, killed because people trade waited it...
    I disagree a bit there. It ran over three trades, so the number of trade sales for books 1-2 must have factored into their sales figures. Also digital sales that aren't recorded or at least released.

It is a shame, but I think it's mostly that people weren't interested for whatever reason. Its a real shame, I loved this series. I'm glad DC are keeping him around in various titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I disagree a bit there. It ran over three trades, so the number of trade sales for books 1-2 must have factored into their sales figures. Also digital sales that aren't recorded or at least released.

It is a shame, but I think it's mostly that people weren't interested for whatever reason. Its a real shame, I loved this series. I'm glad DC are keeping him around in various titles.
    Sure, but just because they printed the trade, doesn't mean anybody bought the trade. It was cancelled due to low sales, DC printed trades for a lot of the books in that first year.

I guess its no secret that I also loved Frank's book. Im just glad I can still read his adventures on Futures End.

I loved this book. I want more Frankenstein and his comrades, dammit!

I love Frankenstein! One of my favorite characters. Question to the OP, have you read Morrison's Seven Soldiers? An amazing book and Frankenstein's first appearance. Though Grant said he's loosely based on the old Spawn of Frankenstein backup stories that first appeared in Phantom Stranger book in the 70s.

Grant's Frankenstein is such a great concept. Frankenstein's monster as a steam punk super soldier hunting down evil with the arch angel Gabriel's sword. Add The Creature Comandos and SHADE and it just gets better. I love the concept of SHADE as well. A govt agency specializing is paranormal activity. DC's own version of BPRD.

Spectacular Member

Hopefully you caught Frankenstein's appearances in Batman and (Robin).
    I did catch them and that's another reason I picked the trade up.

Spectacular Member

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who say they want diversity that may post on boards like these. But how many of DC's actual customers actually post here? We're more of a vocal minority, not the silent majority who primarily want more Batman books.
    I picked up more than half of the titles with the relaunch and that included OMAC, Resurrection Man, Blackhawks, Mr. Terrific, Animal Man, and Swamp Thing. I saw Frankenstein and said to myself, 'You gotta be kidding me', but when he popped up other places later on, I decided to buy the trade. My LCS never promoted it or recommended it as a 'must read', etc. I'm not blaming anyone, just didn't really hear anything about it until it was too late. It's too bad, because I loved it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    This and Demon Knights were my favorite of the nu52 and OMAC was pretty close. Now all three are cancelled and I don't read any DC books.
    Demon Knights is another one that I picked the first two trades up after hearing how good it was. Big surprise: It Was!!!! I loved the characters, art and wish it continued.

Spectacular Member

I did not read Morrison's Seven Soldiers. I will have to read it, because I am now a fan of the character.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Exactly. Much like Futures End, starring Firestorm, Grifter, Frankenstein, Mr Terrific, Hawkman, Amethyst and Dearhstroke... All characters with cancelled titles, in a book starring them all selling far better than their solo titles sold.
    But that's because it's an event. If it were just a new book featuring those characters I bet it wouldn't sell. The Nu 52 events just hold zero interest for me no matter who's in the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mego joe View Post
    But that's because it's an event. If it were just a new book featuring those characters I bet it wouldn't sell. The Nu 52 events just hold zero interest for me no matter who's in the book.
    But who cares? Their solo books were mostly good and sold like crap. Their weekly event book, starring all of them, sells great. Who cares WHY it sells, it is. And it's selling well with cancelled characters as the stars. You may not like it, but 35k other readers do each week.

Doug Mahnke drawing Frankenstein once again! Can't wait!