Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Makes Star Wars Stand Out To You?

What makes Star Wars special in the landscape of science fiction and popular culture in general? What made Star Wars appeal to you in the first place?

Extraordinary Member

This maybe a bit esoteric, but I think I’d say this:

Once I was old enough too look for stuff that wasn’t just “pew-pew, space lasers!” … What made me a true fan form then on out was the “space opera” evolution that began in ESB, was fully formed by ROTJ, and was still the biggest appeal of the PT even in its doldrums, and that still shines through in TCW, TFA, Rogue One, The Mandalorian, Rebels, and Bad Batch, and which *tries*, if unsuccessfully, to be a feature of TROS and The Book Of Boba Fett.

It’s the “space opera” part that I think adds gravitas and resonance to the “simplistic” sincerity of Good Vs Evil from ANH, and that makes the best use of the mythic and fantasy elements of Star Wars.

And it’s what I think Star Trek is kind of avoiding and steering away from (to it’s own success, by-the-by, and I think Star Trek’s take on the operatic and mythic tropes is the very “enlightened” portrayal from Deep Space Nine). Similarly, other Sci-fi shows can and do try to get the operatic part down, but for whatever reason, Star Wars at its best remains the king of it. Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, and countless anime are also good at space opera… but I donkt think any have quite the same “operatic” flair that Star Wars does.

And for the record, I don't think a Star Wars product is naturally going to “stink” without the space opera factor prominently placed - I think Solo and some of TCW and Rebels are still watchable - but it’s just not as magical as when they use space opera (there’s a reason Maul’s appearance was regarded as a bigger deal than the rest of Solo.)

…And I think that The Last a Jedi was kind of a weird poisonous concoction of one quarter-reverent application of Space Opera (Luke’s story in concept) and three-quarters contemptuous “satire” of it (Luke’s story in execution, and most of the rest of the films, which is why I think TROS was doomed in its attempt to resurrect the space opera formula after TLJ sort of salted the earth for it.

The Book Of Boba Fett kind of lots in-and-out of space opera and grind house dirty pleasure… with the space opera part being far more watchable than the grind house thriller.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

In short?

A fantasy story with a space setting. Fantasy is my main genre, with space/sci-fi being kind of low. And yet the combination really makes it work.

Usually.

All-New Member

A science fantasy with the greatest executed themes in fiction

If you were around at the time, you would have seen the dearth of SciFi on TV and movies. Star Wars was a decade after 2001, a movie that should have ushered in a new era of SciFi movies, but didn't. And a decade after Star Trek. The best thing we got was Logan's Run abd Space 1999 So when Star Wars hit, not only was it a spectacular fun movie, but the visuals hit like a super nova. The unprecedented success did usher in the era we fans had dreamed of. It showed Hollywood that big budget SciFi movies were worth making.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

^Funny thing is, Star Wars was actually fairly low budget, even by the standards of the time. Lucas just had a lot of really talented people at the right time.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ^Funny thing is, Star Wars was actually fairly low budget, even by the standards of the time. Lucas just had a lot of really talented people at the right time.
    Not really, about the same as The Spy Who Loved me and The Deep from that year. But they did do things never seen before.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

For me the most recognizable aspect of Star Wars from other Sci-Fi Space Operas, other than the Jedi/Sith culture stuff, is the portrayal of a Galaxy too large and diverse for its central civilization to keep technological, legal, and social progress up for everyone. For every metropolis planet where new advanced technologies are premiering, there's a lawless frontier world where the tech--even if its still lasers and hovercrafts and droids--all seems rundown and archaic.

Sci-Fi series usually use tech to showcase how convenient it makes life compared to 21st century Earth, but in Star Wars so many people are just trying to scrape by so they can pour blue milk in some cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's too bad he didn't have any money for acting lessons for Mark Hamil...

I didn't really get into Star Wars until Empire. My best friend at the time had all the figures so we played with those quite a bit. I just liked fantasy and after watching all of Star Blazers I was enthralled with Space and this just cemented that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    In short?
    A fantasy story with a space setting. Fantasy is my main genre, with space/sci-fi being kind of low. And yet the combination really makes it work.
    Usually.
    Basically this. For a "sci-fi" show, there's really no science, and almost no "hi-tech"- most stuff is lo-tech (especially the heroes). It's adventure, spirituality, good v. evil, oppressors v. the oppressed (and a good dose of family) where many of the climaxes are essentially sword fights with space wizards.

Niffleheim

Star Wars shows the many highs and few lows of an Imperial-centric story and rule. I like that Empire always win because they always win in fiction and in real life.
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-11-2022 at 01:15 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It's too bad he didn't have any money for acting lessons for Mark Hamil...
    What's lacking in Mark Hamil's acting? He plays the naive farm boy quite well imo.

Fantastic Member

The first two films (new hope and empire) are just brilliant imo... just from a pacing point of view... as action movies. So tight. Credit to the editors for making things so tight. A lot of bloat was cut out in the editing process.

It's really about the execution for me. The ideas are all very universal and appealing... but we've seen them in comic books before SW... The greatness is the execution of these ideas without the campiness (or at least minimizing the campiness) seen in older sci fi.

It's similar with the Matrix. I get annoyed when people criticize the Matrix for the simulation idea not being deep or original. Of course it's not original. Simulation idea was ancient by 1999 when the movie was released.. done in movies, tv comics over and over. That's not the point. It's the execution and combination of these ideas in a well-paced kung-fu action flick with a distinct aesthetic sense.

Boisterously Confused

IMO: There are multiple Star Wars that have emerged over time. I haven't seen any I seriously dislike.

That said, what stands out to me is the original (ep. 4), with its utterly unapologetic reverence for Saturday Matinee Serials.The best of SW, no matter how inexplicable, keeps that at its heart.