Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I loved that Adam didn't bother convincing Malik, but brute forced him to say the magic word.
    Yeah I agree, this is exactly what Adam will do and probably why he and Malik will not get along
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Perfectly in character for him.
    Yeah, completely. It was so in character.

Malik stopped joking around with a racist and his friend, are ppl happy now.

There shouldn't be anymore complaining about Malik's speech or insults to Priest's writing or fake concern about black stereotypes.

Thank god Malik can speak like a normal human being. I'm not sure if the idea is that he was overcompensating in the first issue and acted like an ass due to that or Priest saw reactions to first issue and did 180 turn. Either way I'm happy that he talks normal now.
    Tsk it was neither of those things, a very obvious bravado Malik was putting on by using jokes.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

There shouldn't be anymore complaining about Malik's speech or insults to Priest's writing.

Tsk it was neither of those things, a very obvious bravado.
    That’s what I assumed, that once he fell into the world of magic and superheroes he just dropped it
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

There shouldn't be anymore complaining about Malik's speech or insults to Priest's writing or fake concern about black stereotypes.

Tsk it was neither of those things, a very obvious bravado Malik was putting on by using jokes.
    I echo this exact sentiment. the way people overreacted to the same quirky/corny quipster trope was so weird considering its a pretty common place trope in comics and a very front-facing part of why characters like Static and Spider-Man have been so popular.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Exactly. There can be nuances in reading how the character presents himself to whom and when and why.

I’m a person with an identity that is minoritized and sometimes play up and exaggerate the stereotypes of my people to make the point to people not in my culture how ridiculous their associations and stereotypes can be.

It’s sort of the reverse of code-switching to make a point and sometimes exert control in a situation. Again, lots of nuance depending on your “read” of a character and your own experiences.

I loved that Adam didn't bother convincing Malik, but brute forced him to say the magic word.
    I guess that's one way to distinguish him from the old Black Adam Family.

Sure, this time it wasn't an issue where every white character was a negative stereotype. There was no ignorant police detective who couldn't differentiate a black man from a Middle-Eastern man, no annoying congressman that was putting Adam to sleep, no cops that roughed up Malik and not even any white supremacists this time around either. So yeah, guess we're good.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-19-2022 at 01:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I echo this exact sentiment. the way people overreacted to the same quirky/corny quipster trope was so weird considering its a pretty common place trope in comics and a very front-facing part of why characters like Static and Spider-Man have been so popular.
    And based on the comments and straight up insensitivity on the first page, they're still overreacting.

This was fantastic! No downsides this issue a major step up from the previous one when it comes to Malik’s dialogue. I’m all in now!
    Dude I freaking lost it when his servant shot Malik to force him to accept Adam’s offer That’s insane but such a perfect Adam move!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That was so great (and horrible) and something Black Adam would definitely do.

I’m loving this very arrogant yet guilty BA as it’s way more in line with the Geoff Johns version from The Dark Age. Hated the watered down version Bendis was writing in Justice League.

Like with his Deathstroke run, Priest isn’t shying away from the fact that the protagonist is a killer and definitely not a great guy. Yeah it seems like Adam has been trying to change recently but it doesn’t erase the fact that he’s killed countless people in his long life.

I wonder what Malik will end up calling himself.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-19-2022 at 07:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'm rather sad that from the looks of it, Malik's dialogue from issue one will be a never live it down for the rest of the series cause I still see people thrash this issue as terrible mostly for the White Adam scene. Missing the point that Adam is forcing "White Adam" to be a thing for image reasons.

I just had an argument with a racist idiot who complained about "Priest going woke" simply over Adam's extremists line criticizing American democracy. Thats how stupid people are.

Plus people are under the misconceptions that Malik will replace Adam and that Priest is only here to plug his new pet character despite this issue being mostly bout Adam with Malik only showing up in the end. Like I said people are dumb.

So according to these racist idiots, non-white super-villain should praise American democracy? What?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Well this specific idiot is pretty Merica if you get what I mean.

I remember he once made a fuss on an issue of Batman: The Knight. Bruce trains under a former KGB agent, is given a mission to steal a special document detailing the lists of safehouses or whatever from a Russian general. When he steals it, the mentor wants it to sell it to the US or whatever, Bruce destroys it so neither side will use the information to hurt people.

This guy threw a fucking hissy fit because he believes Bruce "betrayed America" by not giving the info to the Americans. I don't know where he got the idea but he believes Bruce is a "good little American" who would never go against US interests despite Bruce never at any point gave a damn about US interests.

Like I said people are stupid, dude has no idea what the fuck he's talking about. Prolly got pissed cause the very idea of talking shit to America is "woke" I guess.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bruce Wayne involved in politics?
    Bruce Wayne is involved in making life hard for supervillains, more like.

I loved this issue, too - each issue makes me want to see more and more of the next! I didn't really have a problem with Malik's dialogue in the first issue - I really liked him. I like him here, too. Art continues to be great, and I'm interested in the little bits of the new gods that Priest is creating. That's a good reason to send Adam to hell, after all - a more direct contact with the supernatural.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord