Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I was born long after 1983, but the DC iteration I knew as a kid was JL/JLU so maybe that's why I'm saying that. Giganta, Darkseid, and Doomsday all got similar screentime but "giant lady named Giganta" is a lot easier to remember than 2 big gray alien guys with D-names.

Now that I think about it, really wondering which villains they're going to choose for the video game because that'll definitely be some exposure. The teaser leans heavily into the ancient Greek aesthetic and it sounds like it'll be set on Themyscira which makes me think it'll be more focused on mythological gods and monsters, but Cheetah will definitely be there and from a gameplay perspective Giganta is an obvious choice. And I'm 100% sure Circe will be one of, if not THE Big Bad, wonder how they'd design that boss battle.
    I'd mostly agree on Doomsday though he'll always have "the thing that killed Superman in that story you always hear about" cred. Darkseid at least has more impactful appearances with an personality where he's treated like a big deal.

I have a feeling the game would avoid Ares, or at least save him for a sequel, to avoid GoW comparisons. But he and Cheetah were also the WW villain reps they went with for WW in the Injustice games (*spit in disgust*) so they both have precedent.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Countless Batman writers got their start writing a supporting book taking a cue from some older writers work that they respected or adjusted to, whether that older writer was Denny O’Neill, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, or Scott Snyder.

Meanwhile, whenever the order/freedom is given to a Superman or Wonder Woman writer to reboot the character, you’re always challenging the work of the older writers, and treading the same ground they did.

Wonder Woman’s just had a lot more of that than even Superman… but the effects are the same.

Strict continuity isn’t really a godsend… but respecting a rough continuity means building on top of the work of great writers, rather than trying to replace it.
    This is a really good point. This is probably why I prefer more out of continuity and more left of center/controversial WW runs than what most people here tend to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think Giganta's main thing (always pretty much) is that she's appears a lot (usually villain groups) but rarely is actually impactful (so WW in 98% of Justice League stories ). So she's recognizable to casuals who only watch DC media adaptations as a giant cavewoman but not much for anything else.
    Agreed. While hardly ever a driving antagonist in any given story, Giganta does make a great visual.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Giganta does indeed make a great visual, but sadly, writers tend to make her a "great" visual gag/punchline. Y'all know what I'm talking about. I wish that Giganta were written as an uber-powerful, uber-strong villainess. Someone on this board once mentioned that maybe they should revamp her as a descendant/heir of the giants in Norse mythology, and I am not opposed to the idea, to be honest.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This is a really good point. This is probably why I prefer more out of continuity and more left of center/controversial WW runs than what most people here tend to like.
    What is a left of center run for you?

I think most people think that Wonder Woman would be on the far, far left anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd mostly agree on Doomsday though he'll always have "the thing that killed Superman in that story you always hear about" cred. Darkseid at least has more impactful appearances with an personality where he's treated like a big deal.
    WB and DC have leaned really hard on Doomsday. He had two appearances in JL/JLU (with one episode named after him), they made two DTV's about him (to my chagrin; one was plenty) and got referenced in two others, he was a character in the first Injustice game, and of course they made a version of him for the DCEU. He's boring and I wouldn't argue he's a good character outside his original appearance in 1992, but he's played a sizable role in other media as well as the comics. If you follow DC in other media, you almost have to go out of your way to avoid Doomsday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    What is a left of center run for you?

I think most people think that Wonder Woman would be on the far, far left anyways!
    I'm not talking politics. I'm talking where most WW fans on this board lean in terms of their preferred version of WW (which usually lean towards Perez and even Jimenez). Mine seems to definitely differ than that (although I did really enjoy Rucka's first run on the book. The second, OTOH, left me cold).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Giganta does indeed make a great visual, but sadly, writers tend to make her a "great" visual gag/punchline. Y'all know what I'm talking about. I wish that Giganta were written as an uber-powerful, uber-strong villainess. Someone on this board once mentioned that maybe they should revamp her as a descendant/heir of the giants in Norse mythology, and I am not opposed to the idea, to be honest.
    If I was to do it?

Doris Zuel is dying of whatever, conventional methods don't work. So she tries weird science. But fusing Human DNA into herself won't help so she looks around trying to find DNA from a god. She finds what she thinks she was looking for, but it's actually DNA from a giant... one of the enemies of the gods. Does it matter if it's a Titan or a Jotun? Does Doris even know? At any rate after infusing herself with the DNA she find herself feeling more vital, well again, and very, very strong. but the first time someone pisses her off... well.. she earns the name "Giganta".

Giganta's problem is her seeming lack of motivations. WHY is she a villain? the tragic backstory is like... ok... unethical methods were used. Now what? What does she plan to do now that she has become Giganta?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    If I was to do it?

Doris Zuel is dying of whatever, conventional methods don't work. So she tries weird science. But fusing Human DNA into herself won't help so she looks around trying to find DNA from a god. She finds what she thinks she was looking for, but it's actually DNA from a giant... one of the enemies of the gods. Does it matter if it's a Titan or a Jotun? Does Doris even know? At any rate after infusing herself with the DNA she find herself feeling more vital, well again, and very, very strong. but the first time someone pisses her off... well.. she earns the name "Giganta".

Giganta's problem is her seeming lack of motivations. WHY is she a villain? the tragic backstory is like... ok... unethical methods were used. Now what? What does she plan to do now that she has become Giganta?
    I like it.
    I really really do. It intrigues me to no end finding out how Giganta manages to access the actual DNA of a true-blue mythological giant. I just wish that the powers that be at DC revamp Giganta (and Queen Clea!) into a truly worthy opponent for Diana. Like you said, motivation is key and how she uses her Giganta power to reach her goals (whatever they are).

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I like this idea. Also, I want to see some DC Valkyries who would befriend Diana.

But Gudra would be the Valkyrie who does not like Diana. We could add her to Diana's super-strong female foes list!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!