Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

And here's another famous soccer player you may have seen or heard of before:

At least in my head canon, I don't see Amazons in a weight room pumping iron. They do sporty things like running, gymnastics, sparring, etc., so I imagine them as athletic-looking with a lot of lean muscle instead of bulky.

To each one's own, though.
    I don't know Maurice Green nor am I familiar with athletes in dash. But I'm familiar with most other fields.

Cristiano Ronaldo has the standard body for a soccer player. Huge legs but his arms aren't bulky.

Tyere's a difference between being toned and having bulk. You need bulk in order to "maximize your strength". That's why Ronaldo has huge legs.

And amazons are definitely supposed to be really strong women, capable of lifting strong weights, and they train their muscles to do so, not just for combat. This means they would be bulky if they do a lot of weight training for strength.
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-20-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    An actress is not going to be bulked up to look like an athlete. That's just now how Hollywood is or accepts female actors sadly. And even males have taken it to far with the superhero body.
    Definitely agreed with the bold. I used to watch "natty [natural] or not" videos of Hollywood actors on PEDs, and at least in my estimation most of those guys are on something. It's not healthy for the actors, the auditioning actors who get cut, or the millions of teenage boys watching.

But the part about the actresses? Jessica Biel in Blade Trinity had some impressive delts and triceps.

Definitely agreed with the bold. I used to watch "natty [natural] or not" videos of Hollywood actors on PEDs, and at least in my estimation most of those guys are on something. It's not healthy for the actors, the auditioning actors who get cut, or the millions of teenage boys watching.

But the part about the actresses? Jessica Biel in Blade Trinity had some impressive delts and triceps.

Yeah but again, that's not the type if myscle you need to lift serious weights jn a serious manner. That's mostly just bare muscles and definition. She is still skinny as hell

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't know Maurice Green nor am I familiar with athletes in dash. But I'm familiar with most other fields.

Cristiano Ronaldo has the standard body for a soccer player. Huge legs but his arms aren't bulky.

Tyere's a difference between being toned and having bulk. You need bulk in order to "maximize your strength". That's why Ronaldo has huge legs.

And amazons are definitely supposed to be really strong women, capable of lifting strong weights, and they train their muscles to do so, not just for combat. This means they would be bulky if they do a lot of weight training for strength.
    You add bulk to maximize your strength, but it often comes at the cost of things like mobility and flexibility, which in my head canon Amazons wouldn't necessarily care for. As an aside, that's why I hate all those stat listings of Batman's bench press being like 1000 lbs (inhumanly possible), or even 500 lbs, because Batman wants to be fleet of foot.

I would've posted pics of gymnast bodies because I think they're generally representative of the type of compact strength Amazons (in my head canon) would have, but gymnasts tend to be a bit on the short side so I stuck with an agile, strong-looking athlete.

If you want WW to look like a 175 lb. bodybuilder, that's cool. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Yeah but again, that's not the type if myscle you need to lift serious weights jn a serious manner. That's mostly just bare muscles and definition. She is still skinny as hell
    That is not skinny as hell. Skinny as hell is size zero and she wasnt fitting in a size zero.

I know most of this is about personal likes, but there is also a certain degree of logic here. Why would Amazons the body of a gymnast? Amazons are fighters. Their requirements in terms if flexibility are minimal.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I know most of this is about personal likes, but there is also a certain degree of logic here. Why would Amazons the body of a gymnast? Amazons are fighters. Their requirements in terms if flexibility are minimal.
    It's also fantasy and the Amazons are blessed by gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's also fantasy and the Amazons are blessed by gods.
    My fantasy is to see beautiful strong women that defy traditional gender rules in a way that also makes sense for their world.

Almost all men in comics are bulky. Almost no strong woman in comics is actually bulky. And Diana can be beautiful and have an extraordinarily and transgressive body type. Redefine what feminity means. Otto Schmidt and Drew Johnson have done that very well with her. Darwyn Cooke did to, at least a bit
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-20-2022 at 05:01 PM.

This is the route we're really going?

Have you ever considered that these pictures of strong ladies you're posting are (at best) taking a lot of supplements and (at worst) are doped to their eyeballs in PEDs?

Are you going to tell me that when they were competing, Aly Raisman and Simone Biles weren't hella strong?

And if you want to see what a fighter (actual, professional, fighter) looks like, here's a couple at their weigh in two days before their fight:

On the left is Gina Carano. On the right is Cyborg Santos. If these body types aren't good enough for you for fighters, then we've hit an impasse.

You were talking about gymnasts. Anyway, are you really telling me that's the best example? Have you seen the top male wrestlers weight?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

This is the route we're really going?

Have you ever considered that these pictures of strong ladies you're posting are (at best) taking a lot of supplements and (at worst) are doped to their eyeballs in PEDs?

Are you going to tell me that when they were competing, Aly Raisman and Simone Biles weren't hella strong?

And if you want to see what a fighter (actual, professional, fighter) looks like, here's a couple at their weigh in two days before their fight:

On the left is Gina Carano. On the right is Cyborg Santos. If these body types aren't good enough for you for fighters, then we've hit an impasse.
    I'll take Gina for $1000 Alex

You were talking about gymnasts. Anyway, are you really telling me that's the best example? Have you seen the top male wrestlers weight?
    Yeah, I think gymnasts are pretty good comps for WW other than being short. They're athletic, agile, and have compact strength. I think the WW movie got it right with having a few big-boned Amazons around 180-200 lbs of muscle, but most of them would look athletic. And there's just no point in comparing men's physiques for somewhat obvious reasons.

Have all of you guys seen Steve Trevor? Hercules? Achiles? Superman? Any random superhero. The male versions of Wonder Woman from other earths? Her dumb brother Jason.
    How come people don't complain about them being too bulky, but everyone is giving excuses for the amazons to have little mass? Why are you all against strong women being beautiful and bulky?

Extraordinary Member

I'd be okay with Carano if she wasn't such a garbage person. Someone with a similar physique, though, sure.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Have all of you guys seen Steve Trevor? Hercules? Achiles? Superman? Any random superhero. The male versions of Wonder Woman from other earths? Her dumb brother Jason.
    How come people don't complain about them being too bulky, but everyone is giving excuses for the amazons to have little mass? Why are you all against strong women being beautiful and bulky?
    1) Though it's a lot less common, some people complain about male heroes' being too bulky. I think some time in the 90s male hero design got a little out of control and bodies became totally unrealistic, and a small population of fandom like to poke fun at it. Also, as I mentioned earlier about "natty or not" videos, some people look at the shirtless scenes of some superhero films and just shake their heads and say dude is pharmacologically-enhanced. Honestly, I do prefer heroes to look somewhat more natural. Ed McGuinness' Superman has its place, but it's hard for me to take it seriously. Bruce Timm's templates where Superman looks like he's wearing NFL shoulder pads is also a bit much for me.

2) Regarding your last two questions, I think that's just how the opinion cookie crumbled. We could easily flip your questions and say, "Why are you giving excuses why pictures of real-life, successful women don't look strong enough?" If you really wanted an answer from me personally, I'd say WW was created with the intent to be inhumanly powerful like Heracles and Hermes, but paradoxically not have an overly-androgenic look. That's how most of the artists drew her afterward. That's how the actresses who played her looked. Feel free to disagree; there's no right or wrong here.