Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

This story is largely a set-up to a few big moments, pushing Spider-Man into making a big decision. I don't know if it was a fair trade to get rid of an A-list villain for a clone son (earlier attempts to replace Kraven with sons never took either) but Kraven's arc does honor his story in Kraven's Last Hunt (obviously the most prominent of the Kraven stories) and Grim Hunt, which was controversial for bringing him back.

I liked a gag of Arcade worrying about Captain Marvel. It was set up halfway through the story to explain why Arcade wants to be very careful about the force field.

And then the payoff in the last issue.

The saga is slightly flawed, but there are some great moments. It's a fast read for twelve issues, and has some stuff that I'm uniquely interested in. Its's a decent Spider-Man story, although a better story for Black Cat, Black Ant, Lizard, Vulture and Gibbon- poor Gibbon.
    Hunted Grade: A-
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

This story is largely a set-up to a few big moments, pushing Spider-Man into making a big decision. I don't know if it was a fair trade to get rid of an A-list villain for a clone son (earlier attempts to replace Kraven with sons never took either) but Kraven's arc does honor his story in Kraven's Last Hunt (obviously the most prominent of the Kraven stories) and Grim Hunt, which was controversial for bringing him back.

I liked a gag of Arcade worrying about Captain Marvel. It was set up halfway through the story to explain why Arcade wants to be very careful about the force field.

And then the payoff in the last issue.

The saga is slightly flawed, but there are some great moments. It's a fast read for twelve issues, and has some stuff that I'm uniquely interested in. Its's a decent Spider-Man story, although a better story for Black Cat, Black Ant, Lizard, Vulture and Gibbon- poor Gibbon.
    Hunted Grade: A-
    If by “Honor” you mean “rip wholesale from the arc and then invalidate it by replacing him with an exact copy” then I guess you could say he honored it.

It doesn’t help how cheap Gibbon’s death was. He had “expendable” written all over his face and that made it hard to care when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    If by “Honor” you mean “rip wholesale from the arc and then invalidate it by replacing him with an exact copy” then I guess you could say he honored it.

It doesn’t help how cheap Gibbon’s death was. He had “expendable” written all over his face and that made it hard to care when he died.
    I don't think it was invalidated in the case of Kraven Prime, which is why it's a tribute to KLH and effectively the conclusion to it, while still leaving around a Kraven for people who want to use Kraven.

"Developing doomed characters" is an established story convention...I guess sometimes it's all in the execution.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it was invalidated in the case of Kraven Prime, which is why it's a tribute to KLH and effectively the conclusion to it, while still leaving around a Kraven for people who want to use Kraven.

"Developing doomed characters" is an established story convention...I guess sometimes it's all in the execution.
    So if Peter ended up dating and marrying a clone of Gwen, that would be ok and not step on the toes of “The Death of Gwen Stacy”? Heck, I remember that it was this sort of issue that kept people from liking TAS since Peter didn’t “really” marry MJ.

If a writer really wants us to care about death, they should kill off someone that they actually care about but odds are they won’t do it. Seriously, what are we really losing by killing off Gibbon?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

So if Peter ended up dating and marrying a clone of Gwen, that would be ok and not step on the toes of “The Death of Gwen Stacy”? Heck, I remember that it was this sort of issue that kept people from liking TAS since Peter didn’t “really” marry MJ.

If a writer really wants us to care about death, they should kill off someone that they actually care about but odds are they won’t do it. Seriously, what are we really losing by killing off Gibbon?
    Nothing, but it's still rather sad how he died, mourned by no one except Spider-Man, and his last conscious thought was, "At least no one's laughing." Then Vulture casually, cruelly takes advantage of his death as a means to rally the other trapped animal-themed villains against Spider-Man, who is trying to get them all out alive, which just demonstrates what a scumbag Vulture is.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It made sense for the story. It was sad. And others took advantage of it, while Spider-Man was the only one to mourn.

It's obvious that Hunted comes from a guy who really liked Kraven's Last Hunt, and built on what it meant for the character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I personally thought Hunted was freaking great and the high point of the Spencer run

Given that Slott himself didn't like Kraven coming back, I'm surprised he didn't do something like Hunted himself. But maybe he thought it would have been disrespectful to his peers and to Wacker since they brought Kraven back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Given that Slott himself didn't like Kraven coming back, I'm surprised he didn't do something like Hunted himself. But maybe he thought it would have been disrespectful to his peers and to Wacker since they brought Kraven back.
    From some interview I read, Slott was basically pretending Kraven was still dead and didn't wanna use him, so I can't see why he didn't try to kill Kraven again, just ignore him and let the opportunity for another writer to use him if he wants to.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    From some interview I read, Slott was basically pretending Kraven was still dead and didn't wanna use him, so I can't see why he didn't try to kill Kraven again, just ignore him and let the opportunity for another writer to use him if he wants to.
    You mean you “can see why”, right?

As for how he did it, it’s interesting that Slott treated him as the video game demon lord. He’s the goal rather than the actual main antagonist.

You mean you “can see why”, right?
    Yes lol.

As for how he did it, it’s interesting that Slott treated him as the video game demon lord. He’s the goal rather than the actual main antagonist.
    Did you mean Spencer? 'Cause Slott didn't use Kraven, with the exception of RYV, but that's another reality.

If you did mean Spencer, yeah, Hunted was just a way to get Kraven killed off, while having that clone around so Kraven doesn't have to be resurrected if someone wants to use him, I think it's hella goofy, but if the objective is to kill Kraven, that's basically the best way to do it in the stupid world of comic books.

Astonishing Member

Did you mean Spencer? 'Cause Slott didn't use Kraven, with the exception of RYV, but that's another reality.

If you did mean Spencer, yeah, Hunted was just a way to get Kraven killed off, while having that clone around so Kraven doesn't have to be resurrected if someone wants to use him, I think it's hella goofy, but if the objective is to kill Kraven, that's basically the best way to do it in the stupid world of comic books.
    I was talking about Slott. Kraven WASN’T the main antagonist of Grim Hunt; his daughter was.

I was talking about Slott. Kraven WASN’T the main antagonist of Grim Hunt; his daughter was.
    Slott didn't write a single issue of Grim Hunt, that was mostly Joe Kelly, with Wells co-writing one of the issues.

He did write four issues of Gauntlet though.

Ana also wasn't really the main antagonist, she might've been in the most fights though, but the main antagonist was Sasha since she's the one who made the entire plot happen to begin with, so much so Spidey was more pissed with her than Kraven (Until Kraven "revealed" that he was actually the one behind everything, but that was a lie to get Spidey to kill him).

Astonishing Member

Slott didn't write a single issue of Grim Hunt, that was mostly Joe Kelly, with Wells co-writing one of the issues.

He did write four issues of Gauntlet though.

Ana also wasn't really the main antagonist, she might've been in the most fights though, but the main antagonist was Sasha since she's the one who made the entire plot happen to begin with, so much so Spidey was more pissed with her than Kraven (Until Kraven "revealed" that he was actually the one behind everything, but that was a lie to get Spidey to kill him).
    Oh god. I looked up how old the books were. 2009.

I feel old….